Join TexasGunTalk

Private sale in Texas..

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by LifeQuest, May 17, 2019.

1. LifeQuest

LifeQuest New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    DFW
    I'm thinking of selling my Glock 26 - I wore it as a backup for about a year, and it's never been fired.. (yeah, I know) - Anyways.. I've only been in Texas for about 1.5 years and not sure what the norms are for private sale (in person).. In Nevada we would meet at a local PD and just swap money for gun.. The PD was happy to do a serial number search if the buyer wanted one.

Any advice would be welcomed.

2. c.tiberius

c.tiberius Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Just sell it here. Only a couple of us are shady people...
    :) Joke aside, meet the guy you want to sell to, ask to see a Texas id/LTC, give him the gun, take the money and go home.
    If you've been on here for a while, you know not to mention anything about bill of sale.
    The most important step in my opinion is making sure the guy is not crazy, unstable, prone to violence. That's why I ask friends and family first when selling something.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Sheesh, meet F-F, If buyer, look at gun, If happy show money. Money and gun changes hands. Bye CUL. No Bill of Sale or showing ID BS. If you don't trust buyer why should he trust you? Money is money, a stolen gun being sold is not cool. As seller if you're not happy don't sell. BUT state your terms up front. IE: want BOS, want to see CCL, want to see DL.

Simple to me. I have green, you have gun. Want to trade, OK.

birddog, TGT77095, deemus and 5 others like this.
  4. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    One doesn't have to verify the buyer is a state resident. If the seller has no reason to believe the buyer is NOT a state resident, it's good to go!

5. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    meet if you do not have reason to believe he is a prohibited person or non resident then he hands you cash you hand him gun and part ways.

Or if you want to over complicate it you can do all kinds of unnecessary rituals that will make you feel better and actually not help you in anyway.

There is no reason to ask for id or ask if he is a resident or a prohibited person if you don't ask there is no reason for you to believe he is.

roadrunner likes this.
  6. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Good idea to meet in a safe, public place as you did in the past.

birddog, deemus and roadrunner like this.
  7. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    When I sell a deadly weapon to someone I don't know, I always require fingerprints, photographs, four types of government identifications, blood sample, family background, passport, and above all, the wonderful ................ BILL OF SALE! :green:

8. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Go meet in an easy to find location that's not sketchy, and convenient to both sides, with somebody who's been a member here for a while. I want to SEE a TX DL (hence not an illegal alien or minor), preferably a LTC (= allowed to own guns), but I won't take down any info on, or even attempt to memorize it. Look at gun, verify it's not complete junk (while handling it safely), exchange gun for money. Done.

GoPappy and Charlie like this.
  9. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Do yourself a favor and research the state laws on private sales. Advice from here is well and good, but in the end you want to be familiar with the statutes firsthand...

Charlie and Sam7sf like this.
  10. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    What? No first-born male child? You're slipping, Charlie.

BuzzinSATX, oldag and Dad_Roman like this.