Protecting yourself at a firing range

TX69

TGT Addict
Dec 23, 2012
DFW
From time to time we hear stories about a person that is murdered at a range and his weapons then stolen. Although I have never experienced this (obviously) I have been to some ranges where I tarted having some bad feelings something wasn't right. These would be the ranges where there is no RO on sight and it is self policing. Although it wouldn't seem so, you are vulnerable. You have ear muffs on and are focused on single line of sight. Most times you are by yourself with a wide array of equipment spread out all over a table and sometimes the ground.

What do you do to protect yourself in this situation?

Renegade

SuperOwner
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
First time I have ever heard that one. I have heard of people suiciding, but not bein' murdered.
In 1986, Platt and Matix (FBI Miami Shootout perps) robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting alone at a rock pit.

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
I typically work out of the back od my blazer and socialize.
I work out of the trunk as well.

I rarely have out any other gun then what I am shooting at the moment.
The range I go too also has one way in and everyone entering must drive up the entire line to the office. It would be hard to drive in and not have no one notice you on the dirt road.
I always make it point to turn around and wave or at the very least see what or who is pulling in.
It also helps that when I do go, I go during the weekday and there is rarely more then 3 or more people/parties on the entire property and the owner keeps everyone on different ranges if possible, and usually is during non-peak hours.

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
If possible I would take or meet a group of friends. I never go shooting alone especially in a place where I'm not to sure of the folks around me. But at the same time I hear more about Suicide type stuff over anyone being murdered for there weapons but I guess anything is possible.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2012
Central Texas
So one guy who was a top notch combat vet killed while shooting with someone he knew and another guy shot in a rock quarry. I think the likelyhood of being shot at the range is about the same as anywhere else.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members