Join TexasGunTalk

Protecting yourself at a firing range

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TX69, Oct 14, 2013.

1. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    From time to time we hear stories about a person that is murdered at a range and his weapons then stolen. Although I have never experienced this (obviously) I have been to some ranges where I tarted having some bad feelings something wasn't right. These would be the ranges where there is no RO on sight and it is self policing. Although it wouldn't seem so, you are vulnerable. You have ear muffs on and are focused on single line of sight. Most times you are by yourself with a wide array of equipment spread out all over a table and sometimes the ground.

What do you do to protect yourself in this situation?

2. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The only winning move is not to play.

3. BG1960

BG1960 Well-Known

First time I have ever heard that one. I have heard of people suiciding, but not bein' murdered.

4. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I typically work out of the back od my blazer and socialize.

5. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In 1986, Platt and Matix (FBI Miami Shootout perps) robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting alone at a rock pit.

6. Charlie

Charlie "I can't think of one thing that I don't know." TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    That settles it! No more rock pits! There oughta' be a law .............

7. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    I work out of the trunk as well.

I rarely have out any other gun then what I am shooting at the moment.
    The range I go too also has one way in and everyone entering must drive up the entire line to the office. It would be hard to drive in and not have no one notice you on the dirt road.
    I always make it point to turn around and wave or at the very least see what or who is pulling in.
    It also helps that when I do go, I go during the weekday and there is rarely more then 3 or more people/parties on the entire property and the owner keeps everyone on different ranges if possible, and usually is during non-peak hours.

8. SR9TEX

SR9TEX Active Member

Sep 23, 2013
    If possible I would take or meet a group of friends. I never go shooting alone especially in a place where I'm not to sure of the folks around me. But at the same time I hear more about Suicide type stuff over anyone being murdered for there weapons but I guess anything is possible.

9. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Chris Kyle was killed at a range and his tuck stolen.

10. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    So one guy who was a top notch combat vet killed while shooting with someone he knew and another guy shot in a rock quarry. I think the likelyhood of being shot at the range is about the same as anywhere else.