• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tllstaco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I was hoping someone would have some advice about how to deal with my problem neighbor. A couple of weeks ago, I caught him using my water to pressure wash his fence because he didn't want to have to disconnect his hose and move it. I let him know I didn't appreciate it.

Today I came home and saw someone had moved a pile of rocks I had stored behind my fence to my patio. They moved some flower pots to my driveway. It also appears they did some digging to allow water to drain under the fence. I'm assuming it is my neighbor but have no proof.

Apparently, he doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself and what he wants. If he would ask, I have not problem with him using the water or moving the rocks. Just ask before you enter my property and move things.

Any advice?
    Texas SOT

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    wow - not sure how i'd handle that - i'd definitely have a talk with him and discuss boundaries.....keep it respectful, dont lose your cool

DannyT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Tyler
    Sounds like your the cure to his drainage issue. A friendly discussion could help him understand that your is yours and his is his.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I would watch to see what kind of beer he is drinking, then offer him one some evening to start the conversation. Def keep your cool. The last thing you want is a pissed off neighbor who knows when you are gone.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I would go over and ask him if he saw anyone in your yard as you have had things moved and are wondering if he saw something. Gives him the opening to fess up or deny. If he fesses up, continue the what part of stay out of my property for your own safety do you not understand lecture if he avoids/lies or seems not to care let him know you are concerned. Then install a mother big flood light that comes on at dust and makes the electric meter spinnnnnnn with the light spilling into his windows.....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Go knock on his door and have a calm discussion with him about it. Once he 'fesses up, explain to him under no uncertain terms that your property line is invoilate, and that if he wants to do something that involves coming onto your property, he needs to discuss it with you first. If he gives you even a smidgen of 'tude, then keep cool, go back to the house and call the law to tell him that setting foot on your property again WILL result in a Criminal Trespass charge.

He may simply be one of the "it's all about me" types that's never met up with someone that'll say something - usually, calling 'em on it will shut 'em down. Had a neighbor similar several times over the years, and 99% of the time a face-to-face resolved it.

One thing you can be sure of - if you say nothing, it'll get worse.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If your neighbor comes onto your property without your permission, that is trespass.

If he uses your water hose to water something outside your yard, that is theft.

Call the law.

No need to confront the knucklehead after his actions have already crossed the line of civil conduct.

If he is in the act, then a confrontation would be appropriate, provided you have prepared yourself mentally and physically for that confrontation.

As a proponent for dispute resolution, I always look for the best way to defuse the situation -- if that don't work -- make sure you can trump his possible use of force.

Be sure to have some form of video/photographic evidence to back up your complaint.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I'm with TR and others about letting him have an opportunity to fess or deny. Then I'd call the PD and have then explain property law to him. Then...

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable excuse to buy a game camera. Let the law tell him next one results in a criminal trespass and use the camera to provide evidence.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Try and reason with him. If he's unreasonable, let the law handle it. Good luck, I'm afraid yer gonna need it.

tllstaco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Thought I would let you know what happened. I was talking to my neighbor across the street to see if they saw what happened and my neighbor's wife rapidly came across the street and said she and her son had moved everything. I told her I needed to discuss that with her because I was not ok with someone coming on my property and moving things. Her daughter had seen the water during a rainstorm rising up the pad for their air conditioner and the wife panicked. Her husband is out of town and she called him. He told her that it usually drains between our fences and to see if that area was blocked. She saw some rocks on my property (they had been there for 8 years) and thought that was the cause so she tried to call me. Unfortunately, she had entered the wrong phone number into her contact list and couldn't reach me. Soooo, she made the choice to move everything.

I told her I understood but after I caught her husband stealing our water it pissed me off that things were moved. I don't know why she chose to make a trench in my yard instead of her yard other than she wasn't thinking.

In the end, I accepted her apology since she tried to reach me and gave her the correct number. I will definitely keep my eye on them and will probably put a lock on the gate.

All's well that ends well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom