• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I'm thinking about getting a PTR 91 GI. I found on for a good price. I was wanting to know some people take on this rifle. What mods I NEED to do (I've heard the trigger is a must) and what other things I should consider. I was already considering changing the barrel to the 18 or 20 in bull barrel. Anyone know how much it would cost? Getting a rail permanently welded on and change the polymer grip part to the metal one. And I read to get more accuracy you would need to get tighter chamber specs. How could I do this? I'm picking the GI as a little project rifle to gradually get all build up for a lower start up cost rather than get the higher end, more expensive models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Try it out 'stock' first. Maybe a rail (welded on), and get the weld-on shell deflector if you're going to weld (and consequentially refinish) the receiver. I don't know why people complain about the triggers, aside from unfamiliarity with military-style rifles. A tight chamber on an HK-style rifle is a quick way to have a club, as PTR found out when they tried to 'improve' the HK design and ended up recalling and/or reworking a lot of guns.

Eli

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    The HK91 platform is not like an AR where you can easily swap things like barrels around.

Read this thread to get an idea of what it takes to change a barrel:
    http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/148127-my-hk91-barrel-change-need-help.html

For rails B&T in Switzerland makes a wide selection but they will not be cheap. robertrtg.com has a B&T railed G3 handguard for $350.

I'd go with Eli's suggestion and try it stock to see if you even like the thing before sinking a bunch of money into it. When I had mine the only thing I changed was replacing the slim plastic handguard with the wide bipod mount one.

Last edited:

smax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Also, ask yourself what you really want from this gun. A lot of the things you're talking about sound like you want to accurize it, but that's really difficult on G3 pattern guns.

If you want a super-accurate gun with certain features (like last round bolt hold open, perhaps), then there are much better options for you out there.

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I've got a 18" PTR with trigger work, rail, stock, blah, blah, blah..
    That being said, This is entirely accurate
    Also, ask yourself what you really want from this gun. A lot of the things you're talking about sound like you want to accurize it, but that's really difficult on G3 pattern guns.

If you want a super-accurate gun with certain features (like last round bolt hold open, perhaps), then there are much better options for you out there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015

I am wanting a semi-auto .308 to hunt hogs with. I have 110 acres near Grosbeck. I know I'm not going to try and hit squirrels at 450 yards or anything. But I Will need an optic. The M1A, FN FAL and AR-10 style rifles are more expensive than the PTR.

There is a weld on shell deflector? Why? Do the shells usually come back an hit you while shooting?

So you guys think it's accurate enough to hunt hogs?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The M1A, FN FAL and AR-10 style rifles are more expensive than the PTR.

So you guys think it's accurate enough to hunt hogs?

These other platforms are more expensive for a reason.
    Yes it's accurate enough to hunt hogs. If you can do your part. There are cheaper options than that if you want a semi auto hog slayer. How bout an SKS? AK?

knc1105

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    I have had PTR's that I sold because they were too ammo picky, and I have a G.I. model for several years. They are a little more ammo friendly but will not shoot any sealed Mil-Surp ammo. The tar or other sealers clog up the flutes and about 30-35 rounds is all you'll get before they start miss feeding. Also like the FNB-81 that shoots ragged holes in other rifles will plug up the G.I. in 20-rounds. The only bulk ammo that I have been able to shoot that grouped was Privi Partisen 145 gr. white box. Ok Federal 150 gr from Wal-Mart but it is not in bulk. You will have to shoot box ammo or reloads, but then the fluted chambers are hard on brass, so they usually end up being 75 cent per round rifles. The only trigger work that works on all my PTR's and real HK-91's is Bill Springfield at www.triggerwork.net forget changing the barrel there are only 3-people nationwide that are set up to do it, it's costly and a 8-12 month wait. You just need to buy a PTR with the rail already on it because, same thing, only a handful will do it and the cost will add to your bargain and make a used gun you have to jack with cost more than a new one like you want. Another wise poster said that they are not easy to swap stuff around like an AR and they were right.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Would it be more cost executive to buy a lot of one of the more expensive rifles and build it, or have someone else build it for me?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    These other platforms are more expensive for a reason.
    Yes it's accurate enough to hunt hogs. If you can do your part. There are cheaper options than that if you want a semi auto hog slayer. How bout an SKS? AK?

What about the Romanian PSL? They were around $600 recently, right?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Nothing wrong imo with a psl. Still not going to be an AR. Haven't seen a PSL that cheap in a long time, but I'm sure they show up from time to time.

Should I take time and build my own? I don't have $1000 to drop on one right now and probably won't for a long time. But perhaps I can get parts here and there and eventually have something.

smax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Austin, TX
    My suggestion if you just want to buy a complete rifle now: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-16-308-1-10-rifle.html

A better approach would be to shop around on PSA and find a complete PA-10 lower and upper (separately) that are on sale so you can get exactly what you want. Palmetto State Armory is a dangerous site - good selection of good stuff at a good price.

They also sell stripped lowers and full build kits - if you're handy you can build a pretty basic AR-10 for around $700 (but you'll have to assemble the lower yourself).

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have been pleased overall with the PTR 91 PDW's. No reason to think the rifle would be any different.

Sending the trigger to Bill Springfield as recommended above will bring a major improvement and is not expensive.

You do not have to add the deflector. I haven't seen the need on either of mine.

No problems using 7.62x51 Lake City, which can usually be had in bulk for good prices. I don't use the el cheapo foreign ammo.

There is a bolt on rail available for the PTR's which will allow you to mount a scope. With a little purple loctite on the hold down screws, it works just fine.

This will be a perfectly fine hog gun for you.

It is not the same quality as some of the better AR10 styles. But if you have a problem, PTR will stand by its warranty.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My suggestion if you just want to buy a complete rifle now: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-16-308-1-10-rifle.html

A better approach would be to shop around on PSA and find a complete PA-10 lower and upper (separately) that are on sale so you can get exactly what you want. Palmetto State Armory is a dangerous site - good selection of good stuff at a good price.

They also sell stripped lowers and full build kits - if you're handy you can build a pretty basic AR-10 for around $700 (but you'll have to assemble the lower yourself).

This does look like a good option.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    If I get an 80% lower, who could CNC the rest for me in Texas, preferably the DFW area.

Top Bottom