• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    How can I find out if this armslist post is the real deal or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limiting your dealings to face to face (FTF) is the only sure way. Are you talking about the $500 you mentioned earlier?

If so, remember, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Sending money to a stranger is risky and though I have bought a few guns from people I didn't personally know, beyond a website/forum type presence, I wouldn't send payment, that wasn't with a credit card, to anyone over Armslist or Gunbroker or any type of site like that. Or at least not hundreds of dollars.

I guess to answer your question is there is no real way to know if they really want your money.
    There are certain things that would raise red flags I guess, perhaps others will chime in with some of them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Limiting your dealings to face to face (FTF) is the only sure way. Are you talking about the $500 you mentioned earlier?

If so, remember, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Sending money to a stranger is risky and though I have bought a few guns from people I didn't personally know, beyond a website/forum type presence, I wouldn't send payment, that wasn't with a credit card, to anyone over Armslist or Gunbroker or any type of site like that. Or at least not hundreds of dollars.

I guess to answer your question is there is no real way to know if they really want your money.
    There are certain things that would raise red flags I guess, perhaps others will chime in with some of them.

Here is the listing:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/4792388/wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--ptr-gi--ptr-91-

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There's no way of knowing if that deal is legitimate or not. Armslist doesn't have any seller feedback mechanisms, so there's no way to tell. Lots of people do buy off Armslist like that, but I wouldn't do it. I stick to buying guns face to face or sometimes off gunbroker where you can see people's feedback.

InsaneAccuracy

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2015
    If you have a AR-15 lower, let me muddy the waters with a suggestion. One of my favorite hog hunting rifles is one of a half dozen 7.62x39 uppers on a AR lower. You have the ease of modifications with the AR platform, no scope mounting issues, a www.hardenedarms.com complete upper with BCG, charge hadle and magazine is $399 and in 10-seconds it can be on your lower. With Golden Tiger FMJBT ammo at $235 per 1,000 rounds they have all been well under 1-MOA and twice the knock down of a .223 and close enough to a 308 a dead pig could never tell, and cheap to shoot. The 7.62x39 AR 30-rd mags are 2-3 dollars more than a regular mag but you have a potent round. The upper above already comes with the enhanced firing pin. If you shoot cheap crap ammo you will need the Wolff extra duty hammer spring to set off hard foreign primers. But they knock stuff down ---------DRT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    If you have a AR-15 lower, let me muddy the waters with a suggestion. One of my favorite hog hunting rifles is one of a half dozen 7.62x39 uppers on a AR lower. You have the ease of modifications with the AR platform, no scope mounting issues, a www.hardenedarms.com complete upper with BCG, charge hadle and magazine is $399 and in 10-seconds it can be on your lower. With Golden Tiger FMJBT ammo at $235 per 1,000 rounds they have all been well under 1-MOA and twice the knock down of a .223 and close enough to a 308 a dead pig could never tell, and cheap to shoot. The 7.62x39 AR 30-rd mags are 2-3 dollars more than a regular mag but you have a potent round. The upper above already comes with the enhanced firing pin. If you shoot cheap crap ammo you will need the Wolff extra duty hammer spring to set off hard foreign primers. But they knock stuff down ---------DRT

Is it easy to switch out parts like barrels and such?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    With Golden Tiger FMJBT ammo at $235 per 1,000 rounds they have all been well under 1-MOA and twice the knock down of a .223 and close enough to a 308 a dead pig could never tell, and cheap to shoot.

Comparing the knockdown of .223 and .308? Not much of a comparison at all. Not close.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I have been pleased overall with the PTR 91 PDW's. No reason to think the rifle would be any different.

Sending the trigger to Bill Springfield as recommended above will bring a major improvement and is not expensive.

You do not have to add the deflector. I haven't seen the need on either of mine.

No problems using 7.62x51 Lake City, which can usually be had in bulk for good prices. I don't use the el cheapo foreign ammo.

There is a bolt on rail available for the PTR's which will allow you to mount a scope. With a little purple loctite on the hold down screws, it works just fine.

This will be a perfectly fine hog gun for you.

It is not the same quality as some of the better AR10 styles. But if you have a problem, PTR will stand by its warranty.
    /this\ I've got three of the PTR91s (including one of the early JLD rifles) and all have been great shooters. I've also got one of the PTR32 rifles--much the same as the 91 but chambered in 7.62x39 and set up to use AK mags. If you've got interest in these rifles, check with Atlantic Firearms http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/h-k-uzi-s-mac-10/ptr-91-h-k-type-rifles.html as their prices are usually pretty decent and also, they're one of the biggest distributors of PTRs in the country. In fact, Atlantic Firearms had been working closely with PTR to begin installing the flap mag releases on their models. They aren't going to do this retroactively, but soon all their new production PTR91s will have the flap mag release. Many of the PTR91 models have the picatinny rail welded on and will make mounting optics a breeze.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I really don't get the obsession with Bill Springfield trigger work, some professionals I trust have stated they don't trust his work, to the point that many outright call it unsafe. I'll put it this way: I grew up 'in the business' and have bought, sold, and traded countless guns, and I won't own it if I know he's worked on it.
    I'll add that my PTR's trigger is fine, and every HK/PTR I've ever dealt with had good triggers. They're battle rifles, they're not supposed to have 3-lb single-stage triggers!

Eli
    I've got one trigger pack Bill has worked on--it came with a Vector V93 I purchased used. It's fine. But I've also got two of the PSG1 trigger packs and one of the MSG90 trigger packs and prefer them to the Bill Springfield pack. I don't put these special packs on my PTRs, as they're fine as they are--as you say, they're battle rifles. I use the PSG1 packs on an SR9 and a customized Vector V93. The other PSG1 pack goes on an EBO SAR8 rifle. Prepared triggers most definitely have their place.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Well the obsession with Bill Springfield's trigger is he is the ONLY person to do HK style triggers that work. The best gunsmith in Texas tried 4-trigger packs for his JLD - (prior to PTR) and all 4 would not reset and went full auto and he immediately destroyed them. And he has done probably 70+ trigger jobs for me on everything under the sun. Bill Springfield has done 8-HK trigger packs for me personally and two Belgium Browning B.A.R.'s and all have been flawless.
    Not true. Try this guy--he does a fabulous job with his set triggers. http://www.williamstriggers.com/

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I really don't get the obsession with Bill Springfield trigger work, some professionals I trust have stated they don't trust his work, to the point that many outright call it unsafe. I'll put it this way: I grew up 'in the business' and have bought, sold, and traded countless guns, and I won't own it if I know he's worked on it.
    I'll add that my PTR's trigger is fine, and every HK/PTR I've ever dealt with had good triggers. They're battle rifles, they're not supposed to have 3-lb single-stage triggers!

Eli

Even though this is a second hand complaint rather than someone's actual experience, it is the first time I have ever seen anything even slightly negative about Bill Springfield. My personal experience with his trigger work has been excellent.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Even though this is a second hand complaint rather than someone's actual experience, it is the first time I have ever seen anything even slightly negative about Bill Springfield. My personal experience with his trigger work has been excellent.

I can't even tell you how many reports I've read of people that had BS rework their triggers and ended up with doubles, slam-fires (on release of the bolt), uncontrolled full-auto fire, and, perhaps most dangerous, firing upon release of the trigger. He reworks them to the point that they are single-stage and too light, and the results are dangerous.
    I'm not a hard-core HK guy, nor an ARFcom guy, so the first I heard about the guy was a negative report on FALfiles, followed by another, and another, and another... in fact, I can't recall a single positive stand-alone review on any forum I frequent.

Eli

Top Bottom