Quandary ...

minuteman32

I'm going to be coming to TX for a job soon. I have a my lifetime IN LTCH as well as a UT & AZ license. I don't want to change from IN to TX residency, at least not full time. Was hoping to be part time resident in each (keep IN drivers license, plates & LTCH) & get a TX ID card & CHL, so I could maintain my lifetime LTCH in IN (no non resident status at this point, so it would be inactivated).
Anyone have any experience with this & know if it is legally doable?
Thanks, MM32​

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
I believe that in order to get a TX ID, you have to give up the out of state license. However, if you still have residence out of state, and are only here temporarily, then why go through all the trouble?

AustinN4

TGT Addict
Nov 27, 2013
Austin
I believe that in order to get a TX ID, you have to give up the out of state license. However, if you still have residence out of state, and are only here temporarily, then why go through all the trouble?
I had to give up my OOS DL in order to get my Texas DL back in 1980 and assume it is still the same.

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
I had to give up my OOS DL in order to get my Texas DL back in 1980 and assume it is still the same.
I didn't 5 or so years ago. Maybe it depends on the state????? As a matter of fact, I was sent a notice to my old address asking for payment to renew that license a year or so ago.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
Nov 27, 2013
Austin
I didn't 5 or so years ago. Maybe it depends on the state????? As a matter of fact, I was sent a notice to my old address asking for payment to renew that license a year or so ago.
Since I can't remember where I put my keys or my glasses yesterday, maybe I am wrong about what I think I remember happened in 1980, LOL.

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
If you stay here more than 30 days, pay rent or take out a mortgage, you by law become a Texas resident and have to abide by our laws.

If you don't want to stay here permanently, you will have to find temporary lodging (Hotel/Motel).

Texas extends broad reciprocity to concealed carry licensees, including those from the State of Indiana.

Welcome to Texas.

Don't forget that your home state will tax all your income earned in Texas if you wanna claim Indiana as home sweet home.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
TxDPS - Moving to Texas

An individual can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another state or country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

NOTE: The individual must apply in person at any driver license office for a Texas driver license within those 90 days to continue driving legally. An unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or a Canadian province must be surrendered to DPS when applying for a Texas driver license.
However, IF you have residence in Indiana still, then I don't see that this pertains to you as you wouldn't be a permanent resident. Think of it as all the snowbirds that travel to Florida for half the year. BUT if you don't have residence in Indiana still, then, yes, you would have to get a TXDL and all the other stuff.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
Dec 24, 2012
Hill County
Technically what "shortround" said. But, if you are here only on a "limited" status, don't bother with getting a Texas ID and such. Just use what you have now and keep it current.

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
Technically what "shortround" said. But, if you are here only on a "limited" status, don't bother with getting a Texas ID and such. Just use what you have now nd keep it current.
Technically not ... read the link I posted just before you from the DPS that clearly states 90 days.

Top Bottom