• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I thought Charles was disqualified by his divorce?

He might be the first king who is better known for his ex-wife.

“King who?”

“Di’s ex.”

Nah, the whole reason the English monarchy stopped being Catholic was so Henry VIII could get a divorce. But you're definitely right about King Chuck's image issue.

"Announcing His Majesty King...um...Lady Diana's ex."
    Hurley's Gold

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I think you can both respect Elizabeth for WHO she was and how she carried herself and conducted herself before and during her time as queen - while still loathing monarchy and the drain on the British taxpayers that they are.

Elizabeth as a person was no doubt wonderful. She certainly did more that deserves credit than most heads of state. What has our current "leader" done, other than launder money, molest children, and help author the Clinton era Crime Bill? He certainly wasn't a grunt in the military, nor did he serve his community in some other fashion as a civil worker before ascending into politics.

She certainly had an air about her that was dignified. She tried keeping her dirty laundry in private, as the older generation was taught to do.

But I share Mohawk's anti-monarch sentiment - there's a reason the United States became the United States and not simply the American Colonies. It wasn't Elizabeth overseeing it (I mean, she was old as shit, but not THAT old) and we went from fighting for independece from them, to becoming strong allies with close economic and military ties today. We don't forget where we came from, but we chose to make other mistakes. For what its worth - Brittain today has a much more American style of governance than they did when we split from them - as the King or Queen no longer has direct rule and is largely just a figure head, though its said they do have reserved power and *can* assert it and disband or reform Parliament - though I don't believe its ever been even attempted in the modern era.

And not all those in the monarchy are worthless pieces of crap. Before marrying the American actress I won't name - Prince Harry was in the shit as an actual combat troop in the British military and even saw deployment to Afghanistan. He's said to have actually *earned* the respect of the soldiers above and below him, and not simply had it bestowed because of who his grandma was. Kind of how his Grandmother served during WW2.

I don't think anyone needs to take a shit on Elizabeth as a person - I won't get worked up if they take shots at the seat she held.

The British people may (though unlikely) get fed up and say enough and end the recognition, end the titles, end all public financial support be it even providing body guards. The Royals are wealthy enough to pay every cent of their upkeep, and should pay enormous rent for the properties they occupy which should be public properties managed as historical landmarks - similarly to our own Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial, the Capitol, or the White House. The Brits have a far longer, far more storied history than our own - all of the lands and castles held or occupied by royals should belong to the people. But that's just an American's opinion of the British silliness - and matters as much there as some anti-gun Brit's opinion of our gun laws here.

Hopefully her passing was painless.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    RIP

Nice old lady, veteran, and didn’t make a fool of herself.

For those ranting about monarchs you know they have no power over you and can’t hurt you. So it just looks like you’re letting your ass hangout in public.
    Don't agree with royalty in principle. That is not ranting.

No monarch holds sway over me, but there are parts of the world where they do hold power over people. And often abuse it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Monarchy should be despised by everyone............she was a figurehead and nothing more.

As I stated..........there is a reason why we as Americans separated from Great Brittain.........get bent if you don't agree...........and go back to a country lead by a monarch.
    Didn’t Grace Kelly become royalty in Monaco?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Her Majesty has passed away today. The world will be a much sorrier place without her. She was the longest reigning monarch in Brittish history.

She was unflappable and very intelligent. Unusually full of good cheer and often had a calming influence on politics.

She was a truck driver in WWII, the first royal to serve in the military. She set the example for decorum that we should all emulate.

She gave her first speech to the nation at age 14 and became Queen 12 years later. She often talked with President an She had 15 prime ministers starting with Churchhill.

God Save The Queen.

Top Bottom