• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks all for the replies. Seems like it's easy enough to keep it out of sight (and unloaded if I want to be really on the safe side).

The sale idea is good, I think I might do that, seems easy enough from what I found here: Frequently Asked Legal Questions (texas.gov)
    So here's my $0.02.

If you're going to leave it unloaded and separate from the ammo just hide it at home and bring a baseball bat, ball, and glove. The bat will be of more use than an unloaded and inaccessible firearm.

If you are this concerned about possessing it loaded then maybe you shouldn't own it.

Leave it loaded and hidden in the vehicle. If you get stopped don't volunteer any information but don't lie either.

This is all assuming you are a decent law abiding citizen. If not you're on your own.

Take my advice for what it's worth.
    Gun Zone Deals

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The two times I got pulled over for traveling in haste while having a fun in the car, the cop looked at my licenses, asked if I had a gun with me, told me to leave it where it was and gave me my receipt for premium travel speeds.
    “Receipt for premium travel speeds” that is fucking gold right there.:roflsmile:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In Texas, a vehicle is considered an extension of the home.
    So the law states you can have a firearm loaded while traveling. If for some reason you do get pulled over, let the LEO know you have a loaded firearm, and where it is.
    Now, since your friend is the owner of the vehicle, he is technically the owner of the firearm as well while traveling in his vehicle.
    Possession is 9/10ths of the law.
    I don't foresee any problems though.
    Unless y'all are the rowdy type, and just might get pulled over.
    But what the hay! Thems my 2 cents worth...

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk
    **sigh**

I'm Texas your vehicle is NOT an extension of your home. No law states that. In fact, there are restrictions on unlicensed car carry that do not apply for car carry.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you want to get nerdy; have the driver give you A dollar for your gun. Now it’s his along with the car and in his control.

When you reach your destination give him a dollar to buy your gun back.

Of course no BOS.

Texas, nor federal law, regulates "ownership," possession is the key word for this scenario, specifically possession "on or about your person". As Renegade already posted, the driver will be in possession under the OPs scenario.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks all for the replies. Seems like it's easy enough to keep it out of sight (and unloaded if I want to be really on the safe side).

The sale idea is good, I think I might do that, seems easy enough from what I found here: Frequently Asked Legal Questions (texas.gov)
    Texas makes no distinction between the loaded or unloaded condition of a handgun carried on or about your person in a vehicle. A violation will apply to a loaded or unloaded handgun equally.

The sale thing is just silly. Again, Texas does not regulate ownership.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In Texas, a vehicle is considered an extension of the home.
    So the law states you can have a firearm loaded while traveling. If for some reason you do get pulled over, let the LEO know you have a loaded firearm, and where it is.
    Now, since your friend is the owner of the vehicle, he is technically the owner of the firearm as well while traveling in his vehicle.
    Possession is 9/10ths of the law.
    I don't foresee any problems though.
    Unless y'all are the rowdy type, and just might get pulled over.
    But what the hay! Thems my 2 cents worth...

None of this is correct. Not one sentence.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The definition of an unloaded handgun for self defense is the same as a rock.

Yep.

The only place in the PC where I have found Texas differentiates from loaded/unloaded is access to a child:

Sec. 46.13. MAKING A FIREARM ACCESSIBLE TO A CHILD. (a) In this section:
    (1) "Child" means a person younger than 17 years of age.
    (2)
    "Readily dischargeable firearm" means a firearm that is loaded with ammunition, whether or not a round is in the chamber.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    In a couple months I'm traveling through a few states and found this page to be an excellent resource for CHL reciprocity info. I understand from your post OP that you don't have the CHL; however, information exists for non-CHL rules as well.

Scroll down on the page to the "Carry in Vehicle" section for good info and links to the Texas Penal Code, from which you should read and come to your own certainties.
    7341f22e35fdaf3c699433a26f298863.jpg

LoneStarTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sure you can have in car concealed even but even with LTC it must be concealed. But when you exit you can't carry it unless you have LTC. Most guns are stolen from cars so lock it up which makes it useless for protection when you get back in. Until we get Constitutional Carry your best thing is to get a LTC.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Sure you can have in car concealed even but even with LTC it must be concealed. But when you exit you can't carry it unless you have LTC. Most guns are stolen from cars so lock it up which makes it useless for protection when you get back in. Until we get Constitutional Carry your best thing is to get a LTC.

Not 100% correct. It can be displayed as long as it is in a belt or shoulder holster with LTC

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

Not exactly true. With LTC you can carry open in shoulder or belt holster. Without LTC you can carry your gun directly from car to house, shooting range or directly to where you are going.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas

No. If you have an LTC, you can open carry in your vehicle as long as it is carried in a belt holster or shoulder holster.

LoneStarTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not exactly true. With LTC you can carry open in shoulder or belt holster. Without LTC you can carry your gun directly from car to house, shooting range or directly to where you are going.
    Even with LTC handguns must be concealed in the car. Without LT to/ from house, range are the exceptions but other than autos you can't just carry.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Even with LTC handguns must be concealed in the car. Without LT to/ from house, range are the exceptions but other than autos you can't just carry.

Nope. With LTC can carry open in belt or shoulder holster. I understand that the laws are confusing and they do change but as far as I know this is the latest.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Just out of curiosity, can you show us the law that makes you think that? While you are at it, can you show us where "ranges" are a named place where you can carry without a license?

Top Bottom