• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    To clarify open carry in autos: with or without LTC, handguns must be accessible on or about the person and must be in holster.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Arrgh. Without an LTC you cannot open carry in a car. LTC open carry must be in a belt or shoulder holster, not just a "holster"

And there is no requirement that they be "accessible".

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A little clarity here. Ranges are private property and as such can allow open carry.

Can you show me in the law where private property owners can allow any carry, much less open carry? There isn't one.

And to be certain, you can carry at a range without an LTC, and open/concealed is silent in the law, but do you know which exception to penal code 46.02 allows that? If you don't own or control the range, what law allows it.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Can you show me in the law where private property owners can allow any carry, much less open carry? There isn't one.

And to be certain, you can carry at a range without an LTC, and open/concealed is silent in the law, but do you know which exception to penal code 46.02 allows that? If you don't own or control the range, what law allows it.
    There is no law.. None is needed.... Private property is just that private property... If you come to my house or my business that I own, I can allow you to carry.. Period.... A privately owned range on privately owned property can pretty much do whatever they want....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    There is no law.. None is needed.... Private property is just that private property... If you come to my house or my business that I own, I can allow you to carry.. Period.... A privately owned range on privately owned property can pretty much do whatever they want....

Yeah, no.

I used to post a a thread about who can carve the Thanksgiving Turkey, pointing out a property cannot give permission to break the law. I guess you missed it.

Anyway, "If you come to my house or my business that I own, I can allow you to carry.. Period" this is 100% incorrect, unless by "allow" you mean you will not invoke 30.06/07 on an LTC.

"A privately owned range on privately owned property can pretty much do whatever they want.." No, they have to follow the law too.
    But it is hard to get charged with UCW at a range due to PC46.15-b3.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Yeah, no.

I used to post a a thread about who can carve the Thanksgiving Turkey, pointing out a property cannot give permission to break the law. I guess you missed it.

Anyway, "If you come to my house or my business that I own, I can allow you to carry.. Period" this is 100% incorrect.

"A privately owned range on privately owned property can pretty much do whatever they want.." No, they have to follow the law too.
    I guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree. We may also be talking two different things. But at least we’re talking and learning from each other.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Yeah, no.

Anyway, "If you come to my house or my business that I own, I can allow you to carry.. Period" this is 100% incorrect, unless by "allow" you mean you will not invoke 30.06/07 on an LTC.

Are you saying that a property owner can not allow a non ltc person to open carry on his property?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree. We may also be talking two different things. But at least we’re talking and learning from each other.

There is no "property owner says it is OK" exemption in PENAL CODE CHAPTER 46.02 WEAPONS :

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun
    ;

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    There is no "property owner says it is OK" exemption in PENAL CODE CHAPTER 46.02 WEAPONS :

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun
    ;
    Your trying to prove a negative... Just because there is no law prohibiting it doesn't mean it's agains the law... Can you open carry in your home or your own business YES... Can you let a friend carry in your home or your Business, YES....

Again... You can believe whatever you want.. That's fine... I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I know everything, but I have studied the LTC-16 many times and as a certified LTC instructor it I my opinion that you can allow in your home or private business someone to carry.....

P.S.. I can't play anymore for a little while.. I'm heading out to meet a few students to give their shooting qualifications too....

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The Penal Code says, that, I am just paraphrasing.
    How do they do all of these gun competitions in Texas? Does every shooter have to have a LTC to be involved? You don't need an LTC to open carry while hunting do you? There is more to 46.02,

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Your trying to prove a negative... Just because there is no law prohibiting it doesn't mean it's agains the law... Can you open carry in your home or your own business YES... Can you let a friend carry in your home or your Business, YES....

Not sure why you are having trouble with this:

;

Carrying a handgun on or about your person is heavily restricted in Texas, outside of an LTC there are few options.

You cannot give persons permission to break the law whether is it handgun carry (PC46.02 as shown above), drunk driving on your property, or whatever. As I pointed out in my Thanksgiving post, it was illegal to let a guest carve the Turkey since it involved an illegal knife.

Again... You can believe whatever you want.. That's fine... I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I know everything, but I have studied the LTC-16 many times and as a certified LTC instructor it I my opinion that you can allow in your home or private business someone to carry.....

The law prohibiting handgun carry has nothing to do with LTC, and has been around on one form or another since the late 1800s.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

You are absolutely wrong about that in regards to private property. Think about it, the mall is private property, can they just allow non LTC holders to carry there?

A private property owner cannot wave laws. Penal code 46.02 makes it an offense to carry a handgun on or about your person. There are exceptions to that law, and they are specific. and they don't make exceptions for private property.

Penal code 46.15 (b) states that 46.02 does not apply to a person engaged in a lawful sporting event in the event is one that includes handguns. THAT is your exception that allows you to possess a handgun at a range without an LTC. It has nothing to do with "private property"

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Again, wrong. see my previous post.

You should reconsider, as you are teaching your students wrong.

Top Bottom