• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My experience with freefloat was that it made the difference (with the same ammo) between 1.25 inches at 100 yards and 3/8 to 1/2 inch at 100 yds. Just my two bits. Your mileage may vary.

That's huge. I'd be surprised if many rifles will halve group size by changing out a handguard.

And most people aren't even 1 MOA shooters anyway. Especially not without a bench and a scope.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I had a bench and a good scope. I had also developed a load my gun liked (initially used with the non freefloat and then after it was installed). There certainly could be other variables in there (time of day, my demeanor, etc.) so it may not be a constant halve but it impressed me enough that if and when I buy/build another I'm going with a freefloat handguard. I need all the help I can get, remember!

Edit: My freefloat foreend is a Yankee Hill Machine lightweight and I really like it. It has big holes for cooling (and of course rails to hang shit on). The only thing on the rails is a angled foregrip by Magpul on the bottom rail. I shot some this afternoon and the barrel barely got warm.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had a bench and a good scope. I had also developed a load my gun liked (initially used with the non freefloat and then after it was installed). There certainly could be other variables in there (time of day, my demeanor, etc.) so it may not be a constant halve but it impressed me enough that if and when I buy/build another I'm going with a freefloat handguard. I need all the help I can get, remember!

Edit: My freefloat foreend is a Yankee Hill Machine lightweight and I really like it. It has big holes for cooling (and of course rails to hang shit on). The only thing on the rails is a angled foregrip by Magpul on the bottom rail. I shot some this afternoon and the barrel barely got warm.

That's the kind of handguard I think the OP should go with if he does go free float. I really like the modular free float systems. IMO they have a ton of advantages over a traditional rail system.

sleeplessintexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Bedford, Texas
    Random thought: The rifle rapidly becomes considerably more accurate than the shooter. Free float is good, a nice fire control group is good, a Noveske, LaRue, or BCM rifle is great. At the end of the day, the shooter becomes the weakest link.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Random thought: The rifle rapidly becomes considerably more accurate than the shooter. Free float is good, a nice fire control group is good, a Noveske, LaRue, or BCM rifle is great. At the end of the day, the shooter becomes the weakest link.

That's usually the case out of the box...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My time on bolt guns is about 90%+ of my trigger time on rifles, but used to plink/shoot hogs with AKs and had a little time on ARs quite a while back. When I used to shoot a lot (ie boxes and boxes weekly) and my eye sight was better than 20/20 I was pretty capable with target irons on bolt guns. It's been a lot of years since then. I surely don't shoot that well any more with irons, but I may eventually put some glass on it.

I've thought about it some more, and my goal is just to get it to 1 MOA at 100 yards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure a free float, decent trigger and the right ammo will get me there on an AR. I recognize I can get a bolt gun that does this for <$500 but thought spending a little more and getting a semi-auto would be more fun this time.

I appreciate all the input. Thanks M. Sage, after looking around I'm definitely going to go with something light and modular. I'm not sure I want rails all over since I'll probably end up covering them with plastic guards (not sure what they're called).

As an aside my older two kids (7 and 9) are both pretty interested; this has become a neat project for them too. We're looking at parts together to see how they work and watching some of the assembly videos. I let my daughter pick the color and she wants it black because "it looks meaner"

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure a free float, decent trigger and the right ammo will get me there on an AR. .....................................................QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. A good trigger will probably do more for accuracy than anything else. Handguards do help, especially when you're doin' a lot of shooting and the barrel is getting hot. Just my two bits (again).

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I recognize I can get a bolt gun that does this for <$500 but thought spending a little more and getting a semi-auto would be more fun this time.
    I feel that an "accurate enough" semi-auto has more value than a very accurate bolt gun. If some turn-bolt nerd is giving you a hard time about accuracy, go ahead and accept his "challenge". You'll shoot your 2moa group and he'll shoot his 3/4moa group. Then while he's got that smug grin on his face, stand up, do a mag dump offhand into an 8" circle, and tell him to now do that with his rifle.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Decent ammo and a good trigger should get you there. I'd try that before spending dough on the handguard.

I haven't shot many floated ARs, but the ones I have (have had heavy barrels, too and) have been sub-MOA shooters with good ammo.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I feel that an "accurate enough" semi-auto has more value than a very accurate bolt gun. If some turn-bolt nerd is giving you a hard time about accuracy, go ahead and accept his "challenge". You'll shoot your 2moa group and he'll shoot his 3/4moa group. Then while he's got that smug grin on his face, stand up, do a mag dump offhand into an 8" circle, and tell him to now do that with his rifle.

Set up two targets and shoot two groups for his one. In less time. :p

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom