Lynx Defense

RANT: Just because someone's born in Texas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I just wanted to share with you guys an interesting (and infuriating) discussion I had this afternoon with a co-worker and buddy of mine over lunch.

Let's call my co-worker Fred. Fred was born and raised in Texas, fancies himself as a cowboy, and grew up around what he lovingly calls "down-home rednecks"... his words not mine. Anyway we're out to lunch and we get to talking about the silly laws being considered in California. We agree for the most part that some of the laws there don't make sense and would never fly in a conservative state like Texas.

But then things start to get a little strange when we start talking about gun laws. He says that he believes that all gun owners should be tested and evaluated for a license in order to purchase firearms... much like the process we go through in order to get a driver's license. He says a gun is dangerous and we should be tested to see if we are capable of handling such a weapon. I politely tell him that unlike the act of driving a car, the act of owning and carrying a firearm is a RIGHT that was specifically enumerated in the Bill of Rights. Driving a car was never called out in such a way. He comes back and points out that it's a silly argument because cars didn't exist at the time the Bill of Rights was ratified so how does that even relate. He goes on to say that many of "us" (I assume he meant the 2A crowd) are skewed too far to the right and that most people like him have no problem with staying in the middle ground and letting the two extremes duke it out.

So that pisses me off a little and I tell him that I didn't expect him to stand to either extreme but I think he should stand for something. If we let them erode our rights little by little, force our children to endure beliefs and ideals we don't agree with, and let the government dictate what we can do and what we can think then we are allowing this nation to go in a direction that might not be in its best interest. He fires back at me and says that if the majority wants to enact all of these laws then who are we to stop it - let it all fall down and just worry about your immediate family and friends because there's nothing we can do to stop it. He even laughed a little bit at how worked up I get about these sorts of issues.

I was floored. This is a man who was born in this great country, raised in the proud state of Texas and yet he has this attitude of apathy that's helping to bring this nation to its knees. Worse yet, he thinks people like me are "extreme" and silly for worrying about issues I have no power to control. I come from an immigrant family that left an oppressive country to come here and work hard to earn citizenship. I was taught to love the opportunities this country has given us and when I was old enough I joined the service to play my part and give back some small measure. Now that I have a child I've become keenly aware that our actions as a whole will directly impact what sort of world I will leave him with. To have someone with the luck and privilege to have been born here tell me that it's not worth fighting for bothers me deeply.

I tell him that if he's not doing SOMETHING, no matter how small the measure, to fight for the future of his child then he's dooming that child to a fate he didn't deserve. He just shrugs and tells me that he can take care of his own without getting embroiled in all the BS...

I want to stay his friend because he's a decent (albeit misguided) guy but I have to admit that I look at him very differently now...

Sorry for the long rant but I had to get it off my chest.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've had the same thing happen a few times.

It seems he believes everything he is told by the TV. A little research will show that the majority of Americans DO NOT support the new laws they tried to pass.

Doesn't sound like he has much of an understanding of firearms either.

Think you need to get him some range time.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I don't think that his place of birth has much to do with his liberal mindset, it was the home, school, etc. that shaped his views. He is not alone with that thought process, there are many like him. Some more in other places than here, some less.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    There's lots of native born Austin hippies. Texas has all kinds.

Iam a gun loving, weed smokin', Cope spitting, 4th gen Texan. And you couldnt peg my values if you tried.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Lol...he was born near Rusk... but I think he grew up in Houston.

Mega cities grow some weird stuff. Houston be on top of the list, Austin second, Dallas third. "keep Austin weird" is plastered everywhere.

Ive always thought of Austin as the San Francisco of Texas.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Mega cities grow some weird stuff. Houston be on top of the list, Austin second, Dallas third. "keep Austin weird" is plastered everywhere.

I tell everyone who talks about going to California the same thing. "Just go to Austin, it's damn near the same and you can get out of there quicker" :p

As far as Fred is concerned, You'll probably never change his mind, but if he's a good guy outside of that, you may as well give him a pass. I personally don't drop people till they screw me. Besides, he'll make up his mind when stuff starts to get bad. Just don't let him know what all you have, how much you have and where it's all hidden.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Your friend is a libtard.

Any belief that being born in Texas precludes one from being a libtard is silly.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    No doubt. I grew up in the same ranching environment and no one I know from that environment thinks like that.

Maybe he fell off the horse and landed on his head as a child?

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I had a friend, say I don't believe people should have access to military grade weapons... In my house. So, I made sure my AR was on the kitchen table next time they came over. They're just ignorant. Have no clue how our country was founded, nor do they care.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Just curious as to the age bracket of Fred and what his background is?

I like that. I may even borrow that phrase if you don't mind.

Fred is in his late thirties and comes from a family of native Texans. His brother, for example, is a dyed-in-the-wool, good ol' boy. I hunt with him and he's a stand-up guy - solid, even-tempered, loves his State and has lived here all his life. Fred on the other hand is kind of a flashy guy... used to poke fun and called him a rhinestone cowboy on a number of occasions. He left Texas and worked in Los Angeles and Seattle for 15 years making videogames. Came back about 7 years ago because of a job change. I met him when I worked at a studio in north Austin. He's a good guy but I just have a hard time stomaching someone who is simply apathetic about everything...

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX

Yea, the Austin City Council sux! I say...
    photomay23181850.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Take him to an IDPA match, 3 Gun match or some other kind of match. He's been exposed to the wrong environment for too long. He needs to see tons of people all carrying and shooting and have it be the norm. The more he starts to see it as normal again the more he'll come around.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Take him to an IDPA match, 3 Gun match or some other kind of match. He's been exposed to the wrong environment for too long. He needs to see tons of people all carrying and shooting and have it be the norm. The more he starts to see it as normal again the more he'll come around.

That's the point - he doesn't think most people should be allowed to carry. Some yes, most no. For example, we talked about teachers with CHLs being allowed to carry in school and he adamantly believes that would be a terrible idea. He believes teachers under the stress of daily confrontation with kids would be the first to snap if a firearm was handy. Nevermind all of the indicators that show CHL holders as being some of the most law-abiding and STABLE citizens out there. Taking him to a pistol or rifle match wouldn't change his viewpoint in the least, I believe. I've taken him and his 9-year old boy to the range a few times - right after an incident where his kid swept a number of us at the hunting lease with his .22 - and tried to subtly teach them both some of the rules of safe firearms handling. After the trip to the range the only thing Fred commented on was what he thought about the people he saw at the firing line... I won't insult you with the details but let's just say they weren't kind words. These are the same sort of people he says he grew up with!

I don't want to say he's a lost cause because I don't think most people are. It usually takes some dramatic, life-changing incident to help them see the other side of the coin. He's set in his ways and I hope he comes around someday but right now it's a challenge to look past his faults. I'm going to let it go and deal with him as a close acquaintance rather than a friend (you know the difference). If I see a chink in his armor someday maybe I can pry it open...

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom