RANT: Just because someone's born in Texas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    That's the point - he doesn't think most people should be allowed to carry. Some yes, most no. For example, we talked about teachers with CHLs being allowed to carry in school and he adamantly believes that would be a terrible idea. He believes teachers under the stress of daily confrontation with kids would be the first to snap if a firearm was handy. Nevermind all of the indicators that show CHL holders as being some of the most law-abiding and STABLE citizens out there. Taking him to a pistol or rifle match wouldn't change his viewpoint in the least, I believe. I've taken him and his 9-year old boy to the range a few times - right after an incident where his kid swept a number of us at the hunting lease with his .22 - and tried to subtly teach them both some of the rules of safe firearms handling. After the trip to the range the only thing Fred commented on was what he thought about the people he saw at the firing line... I won't insult you with the details but let's just say they weren't kind words. These are the same sort of people he says he grew up with!

I don't want to say he's a lost cause because I don't think most people are. It usually takes some dramatic, life-changing incident to help them see the other side of the coin. He's set in his ways and I hope he comes around someday but right now it's a challenge to look past his faults. I'm going to let it go and deal with him as a close acquaintance rather than a friend (you know the difference). If I see a chink in his armor someday maybe I can pry it open...

I think this is a big reason why libs want gun control. They are irrationally emotional animals and truly don't trust themselves, hence why the crave regulation from the govt. I think most don't trust themselves with guns and assumes everyone else can't be trusted as well.
    Venture Surplus ad

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    No doubt. I grew up in the same ranching environment and no one I know from that environment thinks like that.
    Maybe he fell off the horse and landed on his head as a child?

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

Holy run on sentence batman.. (thats for MH..wanted to tell you how hard that made me laugh on the closed thread)

Pilgrim.. "he's a decent (albeit misguided) guy".. Maybe the rant saved a good friendship..Hope so, and hope you can rationally win him over.. If you really make an effort to see things from someones else's perspective you can frame your (our) argument in a way they can relate to.. Is he comfortable with whats at the end of this road were on.. half the kids dropping out of HS.. a culture that's lost it's moral compass.. and it has.. If he can look at what the Nation is now, was 35 years ago, and will be in 10 years, and then feel good about it, then the "misguided" out weighs the "decent" ..

Mezk'n Hippy.. That ^^ sir is a run on sentence..

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would not want someone I could not trust with a gun to be in trusted with my children.

I can't figure out why these idiots think having a gun will make a teacher snap. Hell, she could go on a rampage with a chair and take out a classroom before anyone new something was wrong.

Idiots.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I know a few folks like this. They are all decent people. The thing is, this nation is going down such a hard road right now, and the future seems like crud for my kids, that I take the liberal state of mind personal and have nothing to do with liberal thinking idiots. To me, "The government should ban all firearms", is the same as, "Your children should be slaves and only do what they are told, at all times, for the rest of their lives". Any hint of liberal and I make sure I get that person out of my life before they do something to effect it negatively, like they are doing to our country. Call me extreme...

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I had a friend, say I don't believe people should have access to military grade weapons... In my house. So, I made sure my AR was on the kitchen table next time they came over. They're just ignorant. Have no clue how our country was founded, nor do they care.

For starters a Semi-Auto AR is not a "military grade" weapon, if that's what you had on the table but ask your buddy this: If he's against civilians owning anything military grade then tell him he should stop using the Internet. After all, it was developed by the Department of Defense in the '60's to allow secure communications independent of the regular radio, telephone and telegraph systems. Further, he doesn't, perchance drive a Jeep or a Hummer does he?

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I know a few folks like this. They are all decent people. The thing is, this nation is going down such a hard road right now, and the future seems like crud for my kids, that I take the liberal state of mind personal and have nothing to do with liberal thinking idiots. To me, "The government should ban all firearms", is the same as, "Your children should be slaves and only do what they are told, at all times, for the rest of their lives". Any hint of liberal and I make sure I get that person out of my life before they do something to effect it negatively, like they are doing to our country. Call me extreme...

I completely understand your point of view because I share it that's why I'm having such a hard time with all of this. Fred really is a good guy at heart. He's a loving father, a good husband, and is someone you can count on in tough times. However, our most tense discussions often center around what's happening to our country and how it affects the future of our children. He just doesn't see government intervention in our 2nd Amendment rights as anything to worry about - he has no malice against those of us who believe in fighting for our rights he just doesn't think things are bad enough that we should all get worked up about it. He's simply an extremely misguided person but he's a friend nonetheless.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    You know the old saying: "A liberal is a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet." Probably saying what he needs is a life-changing event pretty well pegs it.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    You know the old saying: "A liberal is a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet." Probably saying what he needs is a life-changing event pretty well pegs it.

Yeah, he and I have had conversations about SHTF scenarios but he thinks it's all BS. In contrast I tried to relate some of my experiences having been smack dab in the middle of both the L.A. Riots and the Northridge quake. I can honestly tell you that most people turn into either victims or animals when things go to hell. A few strong souls keep their heads and do the right thing but unfortunately (in my experience) they are rare. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst... words I live by but he doesn't agree.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Holy run on sentence batman.. (thats for MH..wanted to tell you how hard that made me laugh on the closed thread)

Pilgrim.. "he's a decent (albeit misguided) guy".. Maybe the rant saved a good friendship..Hope so, and hope you can rationally win him over.. If you really make an effort to see things from someones else's perspective you can frame your (our) argument in a way they can relate to.. Is he comfortable with whats at the end of this road were on.. half the kids dropping out of HS.. a culture that's lost it's moral compass.. and it has.. If he can look at what the Nation is now, was 35 years ago, and will be in 10 years, and then feel good about it, then the "misguided" out weighs the "decent" ..

Mezk'n Hippy.. That ^^ sir is a run on sentence..

Ha, just saw this. You win PistolPadre. LOL.

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom