• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Okay, I believe you now. It's really coming along. Are you keeping track of how many hours you are putting into this?

I kinda gave up because it was hard to keep track in the evenings.

Guestimation: about 60 hours, govebor take 10. Maybe 80, lol.

Lot of that gets spent staring and thinking lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think my estimate may be low. I tend to put a good 16 hours or more in over the weekend. Especially Friday and Saturday night. Add a few hours an evening during the week and it's probably closer to 90 hours so far.

I figure I've probably got a good 60 hours to go. Feels close but from the last two I've done it seems like the closer it gets to the end the more stuff is found that needs to be done. Fitting the new cowl will be interesting.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got the Saito .56 four stroke in yesterday. It's a little big for the plane so I can't mount it sideways like I'd hoped, gonna mount it inverted instead.

This evening my head was a little clearer so I did all the measuring, double checking, and remeasuring for the engine mounts and the firewall. Had to move the firewall back about a half inch for the engine to fit in the cowl. Just chopped off the nose of the plane then rebuilt the front.

Glued the doubler to the firewall Marked out and drilled the firewall for the engine mounts.

e1e755e2ce954652a4e173466fb574be.jpg

d042e69b9cd7f550d9c5acc861bee800.jpg

03599f0531435685c51ba26611031f63.jpg

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    So much work. Impressive. I couldn't pull it together to do this especially since I know with my luck it'd last about 5 minutes before it would come crashing down. It'd be the Hindenberg of model planes. The horror....

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, if you can keep it together for 5 minutes on the first flight you probably got it. The first 10 seconds are what gets you.

Got the engine mounts together and test fitting on the firewall. Working on laying out the placement of the fuel tank, fuel lines, and throttle linkage before I make anything permanent.

e969a6b83a04099e9ecb254e136f5406.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Need to order a fuel valve that I can mount to the outside for filling the tank. Gonna try to mount it on top of the cowl where it would be on a J3, incorrect for a super Cub but whatever.

Also gonna order a remote glow plug so it till be easier to start. Not sure where it will go, maybe in the cabin.

Or might move the fuel valve and mount the glow plug on top for easier access.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ran the brass fuel line all the way through the firewall so I could bend it and keep it from getting in the way and avoid any issues with gold getting rubbed in the silicone tubing. It was a pain because once bent the tank was stuck to the firewall. But got it done and have the firewall clamped on with Epoxy setting up.

ad54db309e2e1775fa43ab0aac45363c.jpg

6885c47f74128580faa1e206bae6dbf6.jpg

While it's drying I started digging through a bucket of random parts I'd gotten from someone. Found all kinds of good stuff. Found about 10 steering arms that are exactly what I've been looking for to get the tail wheel set up. 2 12" servo extensions that I was going to have to order, so now the wing is complete and ready to be covered. A bunch of different screws of various sizes, some control horns, servos, wheel collars, hinges, etc. my spare parts box is a little too full at this point.

aae8e87195259723681c38c7ecfd61f4.jpg

I came across four 1/4 scale turnbuckles that I think I will try to incorporate in to the wing struts. I can do the same by just using quick links but these would look better.

bc65ef2d5fe3248bc5d96e56521107bf.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Zen is dropping, gotta put it away for the night.

Engine mounted, balsa block carved and mounted under the nose, fiberglass cowl is rough cut to fit. Can't plank the top of the nose till I get the fuel and glow plug situation sorted out. Also went ahead and built the side door but have to come up with a hinge and latch system for it.

1488b48e603cad3d743d949cefe9c0ce.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looking great man...cant wait to see it finished!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be near as far along if it weren't for the stuff I got from you a while back. It's been a HUGE help.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Is yours gonna have fairings on the wheels?

Stupid name I know but they're called wheel pants.

What are you going to do if the CG is crazy nose heavy and counter weighting causes it to fly poorly? 2 stroke?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If it happens to be nose heavy I'll just add a little weight to the tail.

I don't think it will be an issue though, the CG isn't way out of wack and is behind the wheels with the wing on. I still have to add the tail surfaces and there will be more covering weight behind CG than in front. Should be able to fine tune it with servo placement and battery.

Flying a little nose heavy doesn't usually hurt as long as it's not extreme. I tend to maiden them a hair on the nose heavy side because they fly more stable, less tendency to snap and more predictable. A tail heavy plane will snap and get very twitch, especially with elevator controls.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I understand all that which is why I said crazy nose heavy but, sounds like your checking CG during the build and only minor adjustments will be needed.

No way I'd have the patience or interest in building a plane. Kudos

Top Bottom