RCBS Turret

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by atxbandit, Aug 20, 2008.

1. atxbandit

atxbandit New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering what people think about the RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit that Cabelas sales. I figure I will load about 200 rounds of 40 a month. When I buy an AR I will load for that too. Has anyone used this loader? If so how do you like? $350 for the kit is in my price range.
    Thanks,
    Ruben

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

First time reloader buy yourself a used Rock Chucker. I've used mine 30 years now. RCBS has great customer service. I recently bought a Dillon SDB used & it a great press if you only reload pistol ammo. I was thinking a Dillon super 1050 would be next.

3. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    I believe a new reloader should start with a very easy machine a single stage or a turret. one of the best turrets now is the lee classic cast which can be used in manual or auto-indexing and would cost about $200 or less for one caliber set up. The idea is start slow load a very few rounds at a time until you get the process. Its a great hobby which I've done for over 35 years, relaxing, turns out ammo better then commercial tailored for the gun you use and in time lower cost if you buy components in bulk.

4. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    I bought the RCBS "master reloader's kit" with the Rockchucker, I have absolutely NO reloading experience before and a few hours after getting home, I had a batch of .40SW loaded up that function flawlessly.

That was a few months ago and at this time I have loaded thousands of rounds of both pistol and rifle calibers and have been very pleased. I think the next purchase I will make will be some sort of turret press, and then after that maybe a progressive.

5. wshbrngr

wshbrngr Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I looked at that kit, but I ended up buying the Hornady Classic reloading kit at Cabelas (Monday). I loaded up my first sets of .40 last night.

Range testing today and I was pleased, no problems at all.
    It all went bang, nice tight groups and I still have all my fingers. :)

6. atxbandit

atxbandit New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think I will be ordering the Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit from Cabelas. At $164.99 for the kit I can get started for under $300 with dies, caliper, etc. From what I have read on this press it is easy to setup and use.
    Thanks for the input.

7. wshbrngr

wshbrngr Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Good luck with your new press, but be warned:

I had similar thoughts about the amount of .40 I would load per month, but once I went to the range and fired some of my own loads, I have already loaded/shot 200 rnds in a week. :)

8. atxbandit

atxbandit New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good thing the range(LoneStar) I shoot at is 22 miles from my house and I can only get out there 2 or 3 times a month. I normally only shoot a 100 rounds a time. Occasionally I'll shoot 150.
    Ruben

9. Texshooter

Texshooter New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My experience was similar. You do tend to shoot more once you start reloading. I have the Lee classic turret.

Tex

10. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    ATXBandit, if you have not reloaded before use the Lee Classic turret in manual mode for a few reloads it does take time setting up but once done fun and easy to use. Check the following site for video's, problems and help in setting up,plus Pat at Lee is a tech. who is very helpful.

loadmastervideos.com :: View Forum - Turret presses