• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Load it with proper ammo not hardball. When I taught the licensing class in another state it blew my mind how many people thought "bullets are bullets".

Train with your carry gun, not your preferred range gun.

Behind the back will get old quickly. I switched to appendix in 2006 and haven't looked back. It's a game changer.

Keep that weapon in the holster, if you need to remove it to carry comfortably in the vehicle you need a different holster.

If you do decide to go to appendix, blackpoint and keepers make excellent and comfortable holsters.

You will likely want to upgrade weapons quickly. I carried a glock 19 for years and recently switched to a 365xl. The trigger pull on that kel tec will likely not give you the warm and fuzzies.

Learn the laws, get formal training.

Don't do stupid shit.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I have long thought about getting a TX CHL, but never got around to it. Now that CC is legal in Texas, I plan to start carrying. With people going full on nutty at such a large scale, I don't think it has ever been more important to do so than it is now.

I was given a Kel-Tec P11 a while back by my parents who didn't want it after they inherited it from my grandfather. That's what I plan to carry until I can get something better like a Kahr CM9. I ordered an IWB leather/kydex holster from Foxx Holsters and plan to carry at the 5 o' clock position, right above my right-back pocket. Thinking is that bad guy demands your wallet, but the CCW comes out instead.

I have never carried concealed before, so I'm looking for pointers on anything. I figured I'll have to adjust my attire a little bit to make sure I don't print or show accidentally. Is there anything else I need to understand before I start carrying?

Also, do yall remove your CCW from its holster while in the car, or leave it?
    Stick with this forum and you can get some good advice and insight.

A few points:
    1. Get a large box to dump the holsters, belts and magazine pouches you will try and find they don't work for your situation.
    2. What are you going to do with the gun when visiting a public necessary room stall? They are secret gun control rooms. Most aren't setup to allow one to put the gun anywhere safety when dropping trou says Colin Noir.
    3. Don't be a 'Tactical Hobo'.
    4. What are you going to do with gun when the business (your employer maybe) or other place of business doesn't allow customers and/or employees to enter with a gun; concealed or not concealed. Do you have a safe and secure place to put the gun until ready to wear it again?

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Load it with proper ammo not hardball. When I taught the licensing class in another state it blew my mind how many people thought "bullets are bullets".

Train with your carry gun, not your preferred range gun.

Behind the back will get old quickly. I switched to appendix in 2006 and haven't looked back. It's a game changer.

Keep that weapon in the holster, if you need to remove it to carry comfortably in the vehicle you need a different holster.

If you do decide to go to appendix, blackpoint and keepers make excellent and comfortable holsters.

You will likely want to upgrade weapons quickly. I carried a glock 19 for years and recently switched to a 365xl. The trigger pull on that kel tec will likely not give you the warm and fuzzies.

Learn the laws, get formal training.

Don't do stupid shit.
    Excellent advice!

JoeT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Richardson, TX
    I have long thought about getting a TX CHL, but never got around to it. Now that CC is legal in Texas, I plan to start carrying. With people going full on nutty at such a large scale, I don't think it has ever been more important to do so than it is now.

I was given a Kel-Tec P11 a while back by my parents who didn't want it after they inherited it from my grandfather. That's what I plan to carry until I can get something better like a Kahr CM9. I ordered an IWB leather/kydex holster from Foxx Holsters and plan to carry at the 5 o' clock position, right above my right-back pocket. Thinking is that bad guy demands your wallet, but the CCW comes out instead.

I have never carried concealed before, so I'm looking for pointers on anything. I figured I'll have to adjust my attire a little bit to make sure I don't print or show accidentally. Is there anything else I need to understand before I start carrying?

Get the LTC anyway. Get onging training. Use the range.

Hank1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020

I recommend signing up for a LTC course, even though it isn't required now. You should also think about spending some range time familiarizing yourself with your firearm. Become comfortable and proficient with it. If you travel outside of Texas, you might want to consider getting licensed anyway for reciprocity.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    I HIGHLY recommend you take the LTC class. #1 you MUST know the law. #2 it's valid in 36 other States. #3 it makes buying a gun much easier.

I can't emphasize enough the NEED for quality training. You will find that with more training your carry decisions will likely change. I recommend AIWB for a number of reasons. Do what works for you, but PLEASE seek out and obtain quality instruction.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Watch Active Self Protection on YouTube. He'll give you a damn good idea how most situations go down.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    Yeah training is never a negative thing.
    I have attended some horrible training sessions. In fact, my LTC class was SO BAD that it made me decide to become an Instructor. It was unsafe and the Instructor ONLY cared about the $$. The last session I had with DPS on the new gun law changes was sub-par also. And I'm being polite about it. Never say never...

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have attended some horrible training sessions. In fact, my LTC class was SO BAD that it made me decide to become an Instructor. It was unsafe and the Instructor ONLY cared about the $$. The last session I had with DPS on the new gun law changes was sub-par also. And I'm being polite about it. Never say never...
    Training is never a negative thing. You turned a terrible experience into something productive for yourself and others. ;)

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

Here are some comments on "What's good enough for a self-defense pistol"

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Don't be touching where your have you gun at, it will draw attention to you. Also, not that you would, but remember you don't have any duty to defend anyone other than yourself or family if you are being threatened.

Top Bottom