when the blue ones run out
    ARJ Defense ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Yep. I just bought myself a nose and ear hair trimmer!

Something in my nose was tickling me, and I reached up and grabbed hold of a hair that was so long I couldn't believe it. I looked in the mirror and realized I needed to take care of some personal grooming as there seem to be a lot of hairs growing in places they shouldn't be. When the hell did that happen?!

I still have very thick hair. It runs in the family.

My feet hurt. After multiple tests and x-rays the rheumatologist told me that it's because of fused vertebrae in my lower back.

I used to walk extremely fast - so much so that family/friends would comment that I needed to slow down. Not anymore.

I'm looking for someone to get pine needles off of the roof and clean my gutters. My own risk/cost analysis of the project tells me it's going to be cheaper to hire someone than it is to make the trip to the ER if things go bad.

I used to do EVERYTHING myself (carpentry, paint, home repairs, auto repairs), now, I'm happy to hire somebody to do the bigger jobs.

God is good and I'm blessed with my health. I try to keep the attitude that "everyday is a gift" and use it to the fullest.

And, to the OP, I'm glad you're okay!

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Yep. I just bought myself a nose and ear hair trimmer!

Something in my nose was tickling me, and I reached up and grabbed hold of a hair that was so long I couldn't believe it. I looked in the mirror and realized I needed to take care of some personal grooming as there seem to be a lot of hairs growing in places they shouldn't be. When the hell did that happen?!

I still have very thick hair. It runs in the family.

My feet hurt. After multiple tests and x-rays the rheumatologist told me that it's because of fused vertebrae in my lower back.

I used to walk extremely fast - so much so that family/friends would comment that I needed to slow down. Not anymore.

I'm looking for someone to get pine needles off of the roof and clean my gutters. My own risk/cost analysis of the project tells me it's going to be cheaper to hire someone than it is to make the trip to the ER if things go bad.

I used to do EVERYTHING myself (carpentry, paint, home repairs, auto repairs), now, I'm happy to hire somebody to do the bigger jobs.

God is good and I'm blessed with my health. I try to keep the attitude that "everyday is a gift" and use it to the fullest.

And, to the OP, I'm glad you're okay!
    Tru dat brother

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It usually sneaks up on you. I haven't thought of myself as old until fairly recently. I am active. I play old-fart baseball (hardball) in a league. I bike ride. I ride a dirt bike on trails. I hike. I kayak. I hunt up north and that can involve hiking for miles with lots of gear on your back, while climbing some steep inclines.

In 2019 I had a health issue that put me down for several months. That got my attention.

Then a couple weeks ago I needed some oats to make meatloaf. [I know...] Turns out the oats were in the bottom of the pantry, and the only way to get to them is to sit on the ground and move stuff in order to get in the back of the bottom shelf of the pantry. I got them. Then it took considerable effort to get up off the ground. That's when it hit me. Not a kid anymore.

Things get stiff easier. It takes longer to recover from injuries. And sometimes I think about the physical price I will pay for doing some activity and decide it ain't worth it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm in my mid seventies and certainly can't do what I used to do. I also worked out with weights, ran, etc. up until I was in my mid sixties. Things started slowing down then. 12 years ago I was working out with weights, etc. and felt really good. Those times are over. Things slowed down and I did also. But I feel good and was glad I did all that stuff when I could even if I can't do it now.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It was two weeks ago today. Up until then I was a young healthy indestructible 61 year old man.

I had a heart attack and nearly died. I’m way too young, and that only happens to other people.
    My brother in law had his first heart attack @ like 34. He was in the Army at the time so it wast like he was a Coke head.

The Army ruined his back and he retired in his mid 50’s. He tried to get the VA to fix his back and they refused. He found a surgeon & had an operation on his back. A week after getting out of the hospital he had a massive heart attack that killed him. No one seen that coming.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    At 55 I was working with the military in Hawaii. I was still running several times a week, started surfing, overall in good shape. I was temporarily moved to an office where I was the only "old" person, everyone else was years younger than my son. I couldn't participate in the office chatter, one kid told a story about coming back to his room drunk and pissing on the keyboard of his computer. I couldn't relate and was alone in a crowd. I couldn't wait to get back to my old office with all the old people.

I know exactly what you mean.

My former corporate gig was in advertising, which is about 80% folks just out of college who’ve never had a job.
    Looking back, it was solid-crushing…

My current corporate gig is with adults and I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Where I work (computer animation studio), I'm the oldest person there (59). Most people are in their 30's.
    Lot of times, they will talk about some music or a TV show and I have no idea what they are talking about.

7 years ago, we adopted a 2 and a 3 year old out of the foster care system. When I go to the school functions, I feel a bit old.

However, last week, we took them ice skating for the first time at Gaylord Texan. I was the oldest person there on the ice. However, since I grew up ice skating as a kid, I was the ONLY person on the rink who knew how to ice skate and everyone was staring at me. Even my kids said "it's not fair, you skated good and we kept falling down", not knowing I started skating over 50 years ago.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Where I work (computer animation studio), I'm the oldest person there (59). Most people are in their 30's.
    Lot of times, they will talk about some music or a TV show and I have no idea what they are talking about.

7 years ago, we adopted a 2 and a 3 year old out of the foster care system. When I go to the school functions, I feel a bit old.

However, last week, we took them ice skating for the first time at Gaylord Texan. I was the oldest person there on the ice. However, since I grew up ice skating as a kid, I was the ONLY person on the rink who knew how to ice skate and everyone was staring at me. Even my kids said "it's not fair, you skated good and we kept falling down", not knowing I started skating over 50 years ago.
    I use to ice skate very well (played hockey as a kid) No way in hell even 3 years ago when I was 59 would I think about getting on the ice with skates. The thought of falling now is not without thing about breaking a hip!

Last edited:

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Starting a thread about the moment you realized your youth is behind you. Could be an injury or just the reality that you no longer have anything in common with the younger generations etc...

I'll go first. This past Thanksgiving day weekend I went out to the family property with a friend to do some hunting. 700 acres is a lot of ground to cover so we took out the four wheelers. After a day of not seeing anything (yes we are impatient) we decided to go hit some trails. We rode for about an hour exploring new trails and finding several areas hogs get into the property. On the way back to the house I decided I was going to rip a couple of doughnuts in the middle of a rocky road. My mistake. I threw the 4 wheeler side ways and was mid way through a nice doughnut when it caught up on something and highsided me right off and down a rocky slope.

In my younger years I learned pretty well how to bail and fall from dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. This time I was a little slow on my reaction and didn't clear the four wheeler enough. It rolled over me as I went tumbling. I am lucky that I wasn't seriously injured and I popped up immediately with adrenaline to get the four wheeler back on its tires. I was a little sore, but brushed it off. Got towed back to the house and we had some drinks. The next morning though when I woke up to go out hunting I realized I was pretty banged up. My entire right side from shoulder to ribs was bruised up. I didn't break anything luckily and decided to rest up the rest of the weekend. It's been a few days now and I know that I'm okay, but still sore. Not like the days of my youth were I would be right back on the 4 wheeler and shredding again. I've come to the realization that I'm no longer in my 20's and it kind of sucks.

Anyone else have a direct moment of reality that you aren't young anymore?
    Me, I have learned getting old isn't that great. It dawns on me every day when I go to work.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    I'll add to this.

I realized I was 'old' back in 2008 when I was working at the Denver Airport when I mentioned these buzz cut 'kids' with their starry-eyed girlfriends in tow showing military ID to the TSA agents. I was about 32 then.

Moving forward, driving through Houston last year after getting a haircut talking to my dad and two of his friends (70 - 71) talking about all the projects I worked on in last 20 years, realizing it's been 20 years.

This past summer when buying a round of drinks the young guy working with me is only 24 and being carded.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Youth is wasted on the young…

Recovery for me is a telltale sign of getting old.

Hangovers are way worse now.
    It takes longer to recover from workouts.
    Injuries take a lot longer to heal.

Get off my lawn…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is my answer. Recovery and workouts.

This year I turned 40. I've lost a few lbs with diet while watching my blood pressure. So I figured I might as well work out a little.

I lift weights and the tendons hurt more than my muscles.
    I ran a half mile at the school track with my daughter.....Limping for a month, strained or tore something in my knee.
    Riding a bike is still ok.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Starting a thread about the moment you realized your youth is behind you. Could be an injury or just the reality that you no longer have anything in common with the younger generations etc...

I'll go first. This past Thanksgiving day weekend I went out to the family property with a friend to do some hunting. 700 acres is a lot of ground to cover so we took out the four wheelers. After a day of not seeing anything (yes we are impatient) we decided to go hit some trails. We rode for about an hour exploring new trails and finding several areas hogs get into the property. On the way back to the house I decided I was going to rip a couple of doughnuts in the middle of a rocky road. My mistake. I threw the 4 wheeler side ways and was mid way through a nice doughnut when it caught up on something and highsided me right off and down a rocky slope.

In my younger years I learned pretty well how to bail and fall from dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. This time I was a little slow on my reaction and didn't clear the four wheeler enough. It rolled over me as I went tumbling. I am lucky that I wasn't seriously injured and I popped up immediately with adrenaline to get the four wheeler back on its tires. I was a little sore, but brushed it off. Got towed back to the house and we had some drinks. The next morning though when I woke up to go out hunting I realized I was pretty banged up. My entire right side from shoulder to ribs was bruised up. I didn't break anything luckily and decided to rest up the rest of the weekend. It's been a few days now and I know that I'm okay, but still sore. Not like the days of my youth were I would be right back on the 4 wheeler and shredding again. I've come to the realization that I'm no longer in my 20's and it kind of sucks.

Anyone else have a direct moment of reality that you aren't young anymore?
    Funny how much goes thru your mind in such a short time like flying thru the air wondering just how you got into this particular situation.

Top Bottom