• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I find Thai food is better than Vietnamese, but haven't tried all there is to offer. Both require exploration with a open mind.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I’m sure there may be. But with my gut retching reaction i take no chances. Go back to my childhood. It is the smell
    I remember going into customer homes in certain parts of town and met with the smell of curry. It permeated my clothes the rest of the day. I'll be nice and just say it stinks.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I find Thai food is better than Vietnamese, but haven't tried all there is to offer. Both require exploration with a open mind.
    IMO, Americanized Thai is better than Americanized Viet, but real Viet is better than real Thai. I think the best authentic Thai dishes are found in Thai-American restaurants, so if you eat them in Thailand, they taste about the same. However, the very best Viet dishes--even some of the most popular in Vietnam--are not even served in your average Viet-American restaurant.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    IMO, Americanized Thai is better than Americanized Viet, but real Viet is better than real Thai. I think the best authentic Thai dishes are found in Thai-American restaurants, so if you eat them in Thailand, they taste about the same. However, the very best Viet dishes--even some of the most popular in Vietnam--are not even served in your average Viet-American restaurant.
    I can't fairly relate to what real Vietnamese food is whether over there or here in the states. At one time long ago it was only rice and fish heads.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I can't fairly relate to what real Vietnamese food is whether over there or here in the states. At one time long ago it was only rice and fish heads.
    This site has a lot of the dishes I am thinking of. It's only missing some of the sausage dishes.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    This stuff is pretty good if you don't want to make it yourself. Sold cold in the seafood aisle.

1708499017717.png

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Fish sauce isn't an Asian-only creation...empires were built on it.

Roman garam goes back to 100BC and was derived from the Greeks. Vietnamese goes back to 1000BC and was likely derived from China as a locally sourced version of soy sauce. Viet nuoc mam is believed to be nearly the same recipe as Greek garam although there is no evidence that the two recipes were influenced by one another via the trade along the Silk Road. They appear to have developed independently.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Yep, Red Boat fish sauce is made of deliciously fermented anchovies, but you'd never know it as it's simply a flavor enhancer.

One use: I use my finger (clean finger that is) and 'dab a little/rub in' a bit of the fish sauce on a steak I'm about to grill...just a bit as it's quite salty, so no need to add salt...just a bit of the sauce will do and the flavor of the steak will come out dynamite.

And no, I don't have anything to do with the folks selling it. I just love it's flavor enhancing.

Top Bottom