• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The thought of using any kind of 'fish sauce' really didn't appeal to me for a long time, but then I watched a number of videos about it and thought, hhhhmmm, perhaps I was foolishly hasty/squeamish about not trying it.

So, I watched more videos about how terrific it goes with so many foods...steaks, soups, stews and on and on.

A lot of the videos recommended 'Red Boat' (Vietnamese) as THE best of the fish sauces you can buy.

They were right.

Do any of you use 'fish sauce' (which one) and if so what do you put it on or in?

PS, on or in any dish it doesn't taste 'fishy' at all...
    Capitol Armory ad

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    My favorite fish sauce comes from Thailand. I don't remember the brand, it's been a long time. I'll have to get some soon, I love it.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Does cocktail sauce taste like it's namesake?
    A bit cocky.

IMG_6908.jpeg

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Phu Quoc (pronounced Foo Wok) is a Vietnamese resort island that is famous for its fish sauces. They basically fill giant wood vats with little fish then pack salt in and compress. As the salt dissolves the fish, the resulting liquid is drained into bottles. There are also lots of different kinds of fish sauces. Some are mild and some are really fishy, some very clear pale yellow, and some are purplish/gray/brown. Some times things like sugar, lime or chilies are added to create the right condiment for a recipe.

I don't cook Vietnamese, but the sauce is a must when I am eating at a restaurant. I cook a little Thai, and buy and use the dark brown fish sauce in recipes.

And you folks in Houston don't know how good you have it...there are many Viet restaurants there that serve dishes that you can only find with regularity in Orange County's Little Saigon or in Vietnam itself. In San Antonio you can pretty much only get Pho, Bahn Mi, and standard meat/veggie/noodle dishes like Bun Cha Thit Nuong.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Phu Quoc (pronounced Foo Wok) is a Vietnamese resort island that is famous for its fish sauces. They basically fill giant wood vats with little fish then pack salt in and compress. As the salt dissolves the fish, the resulting liquid is drained into bottles. There are also lots of different kinds of fish sauces. Some are mild and some are really fishy, some very clear pale yellow, and some are purplish/gray/brown. Some times things like sugar, lime or chilies are added to create the right condiment for a recipe.

I don't cook Vietnamese, but the sauce is a must when I am eating at a restaurant. I cook a little Thai, and buy and use the dark brown fish sauce in recipes.

And you folks in Houston don't know how good you have it...there are many Viet restaurants there that serve dishes that you can only find with regularity in Orange County's Little Saigon or in Vietnam itself. In San Antonio you can pretty much only get Pho, Bahn Mi, and standard meat/veggie/noodle dishes like Bun Cha Thit Nuong.
    Love Vietnamese food it's delicious

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    We occasionally come across a recipe that requires fish sauce. I don't mind it and have had some good ones while eating out. Westerners typically have a hard time with fermented flavors beyond sauerkraut...add in the image of unrefrigerated fish and it's a tough sell. Fish sauce is like beer, many different colors, flavors, and consistencies.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg

I leave all that Vietnamese food to you. Does not fit my palate along with Korean, Indian and anything with curry. The smell of curry cause my stomach to empty

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I leave all that Vietnamese food to you. Does not fit my palate along with Korean, Indian and anything with curry. The smell of curry cause my stomach to empty
    There are lots of curries...the saffron yellow Indian curry is the most famous...but there are others that neither smell nor taste like it. There are also several Thai curries (most are hot).

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I just ordered Red Boat fish sauce and the salt, will be here Thursday, just in time for some kind of Asian dish this weekend.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I make my own cocktail sauce ketchup and really hot horse radish with some hot sauce like Frank's mixed in. Makes your eyes bug out.

Yep. Low-sodium, low-sugar catsup to an equal amount of Cholula. A healthy dollop of horseradish paste, crushed garlic and onion powder!
    Just hot enough to make your eyes water and your nose run!

Great for dipping boiled shrimp.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    There are lots of curries...the saffron yellow Indian curry is the most famous...but there are others that neither smell nor taste like it. There are also several Thai curries (most are hot).
    I’m sure there may be. But with my gut retching reaction i take no chances. Go back to my childhood. It is the smell

Top Bottom