Hurley's Gold

Red Lobster Not Posting the Usual Boring Sign.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There's a fine for carrying in a grocery store that hasn't posted 30.06 or otherwise notified they do not want weapons carried?

Two seperate issues;

1) There is not really a fine, but a potential jail/prison sentence.

2) The signs that are the topic of this thread are posted in front of grocery stores that have a license to sell alcohol.
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    That sign is on the front of every grocery and liquor store in Texas, at least all the ones I've been to.

It just tells people that there's extra large fines for carrying without a license, as opposed to the normal fines for carrying without a license.

If by "fine" you mean 2-10 years in prison, then you are correct.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    "Notice: The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000"

I think the point is that felonies, unlike misdemeanors, cannot be punished by a fine and /or jail. A felony is prison, or prison AND a fine. Of course, this does not take into account probation.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    That's just a general prohibition against carrying a handgun, with many large exceptions. So that's all the sign refers to?

Carrying a handgun unlawfully in a TABC licensed establishment bumps UCW from a class A misdemeanor to a third degree felony. The sign gives notice of this.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    that's just a general prohibition against carrying a handgun, with many large exceptions. So that's all the sign refers to?

texas penal code
    sec. 46.02. Unlawful carrying weapons. (a) a person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) a person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

**snip**
    (b) except as provided by subsection (c), an offense under this section is a class a misdemeanor.
    (c) an offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

;)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Hmmm. So there's no you can't carry unlicensed in a liquor or beer store if you're covered by one of the exceptions in 46.15, I guess. I'd wondered about that.

If you are carrying under 46.15(b), none of 46.02 applies to you. So if you are carryung under 46.15(b) it is lawful to carry in a liquor or beer store. ;)

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Next time I drive to Austin, I'm stopping in Buc-ee's to fill up with my big old glock on my hip and buying a six pack of lone star.

Careful with that one. Good chance the court would not agree you meet the traveling exception. Certainly tell the cops you are staying in Austin overnight, and you need the beer to entertain your clients who are the purpose of your "business travel" all the way to Austin. Hehe.

Top Bottom