Hurley's Gold

Reducing internet costs in the 'sticks' ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Out here, miles from town, we're presently paying Verizon about $150 a month for 30 giga thingy's with a substantial 'penalty' for using more.

We receive the signal via a Wilson signal magnifier atop a 20' pole in the back yard aimed at the nearest cell tower (about 6 miles away) ...it's not fast!

Any hacks? :)

MP
    Gun Zone Deals

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I use Verzion's "Home Fusion" 4g LTE solution, it has a "cantenna" mounted on the side of my house hardwired to a router/access point inside the house. So far it has been reliable and fast, 30Gb is $126.50/mo incl. tax, not much cheaper but it is reasonably fast.
    More info

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The best option would likely be to either find (or form, if you have money to burn/earn) a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider). I don't know exactly where you're located, but this may help you find one: https://uwn.com/en/

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There is an outfit that does wireless similar to cellular but I don't have any experience with it. They tried to set it up at my house but we live in a low area and trees blocked the signal. Clearwire maybe.

We can't even get dial up.

Stay away from satellite. It's horrid for all the reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I'm in the sticks and ran into a major issue when my ISP was bought out by a parent company that doesn't care. It was a tower based system with a dish on my roof hitting line of sight to their tower. Only other alternatives were DSL (verizon) and while I'm close to their cinder block building, you only get up to 5mbps. Cell and Satellite providers had an extreme cap and I use 200gb - 300gb per month. Latency issues with Satellite so cell/wireless provider would be best though the data cap is the big downside. Luckily another tower provider moved into the area.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Check out line of sight wifi. It's what I use. 15/2 for $70 a month with no data cap. It's in many rural areas but they are mostly smaller companies offering it.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Another vote for WISP if available. I got lucky and my little town applied for, and got a grant to put up a tower years ago. I've been on it ever since. It's improved greatly over the years. Just ran a speed test and am getting 13 down / 4 up with a 104ms ping.

My brother in law has Hughes net (satellite) where he lives and he loves it. But it's his only option so in comparison to no internet, I'm sure he does love it.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Another vote for WISP if available. I got lucky and my little town applied for, and got a grant to put up a tower years ago. I've been on it ever since. It's improved greatly over the years. Just ran a speed test and am getting 13 down / 4 up with a 104ms ping.

My brother in law has Hughes net (satellite) where he lives and he loves it. But it's his only option so in comparison to no internet, I'm sure he does love it.
    We have Hughes Net because it's our only option. 10 Gigs then it slows waaaaay down, so with 2 teens and 5yr old with an IPad that equates to about 5 - 7 days of good Internet.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Look into Cirra, NextLink, Clear, One Source, etc. Maybe in your area? WISP is the best. Prefer it over landline based internet. Satellite is good, too but expensive and limited.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Had Hughes Net years ago, wasn't very good, slow, spotty, low data cap. If VPN is a consideration satellite is often not viable. Too far from town out here for WISP, local community is 56 people. Have a Verizon mobile hotspot also, works but not as well as the Installed.

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    Exede Satellite is now offering 150 GB per month at 12 Mbps down and 3 up for $99 a month, something they just started. I had them for a while, but only had 15 GB a month, it wasn't enough. That plan isn't available in all areas, but worth looking into.

Dennis

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I had Hughes net for about 16 months. It was expensive, slow, and very limited. Two year contract with high early cancellation fees. Had to get on the roof and uninstall the receiver myself and ship all the equipment back, or pay for it. Never again. I'm glad we finally got DSL in our area. That was back in 2009. My BP still goes up whenever I see a Hughs net commercial on TV.

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    With satellite, it's not about throughput or caps, it's about latency. Satellite can't break the laws of physics.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, and the laws of physics say that satellite is shit internet with crappy reliability and an ridiculous monthly bill.

It's all in Einsteins special theory of shitty internet service.

Top Bottom