• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Seems to me anybody who shoots a lot could save a ton of money on reloading in whatever caliber they use. Not to even dwell on a superior finished product. Back in the metallic silhouette pistol hobby I came up with some sweet shooting stuff..thanks to external input.. that could put any factory load available .357 mag. plumb in the shade and without being s flash bang. I might break down and show a few of my old shooting trophies one day. If y’all continue to act nice. lol wished I didn’t get bored with various hobbies so quick. I lasted longer in comp bbq and ethanol production than in most other hobbies.
    Texas SOT

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    30DAFD16-F372-4BBB-B556-F6F343715E11.jpeg
    Hear you on that. I was perpetual 2nd place chicken on the comp bbq circuit. Did hit first a time or two..but not often. It’s hard to compete with them who does it for a living. We have some old comp chums who cook 50 weekends each year. Practice makes perfect like with shooting and pool
    Playing.

Attachments

• 30DAFD16-F372-4BBB-B556-F6F343715E11.jpeg
      30DAFD16-F372-4BBB-B556-F6F343715E11.jpeg
      793.3 KB · Views: 470

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Know there is money to be made in the hobby. We used to have a fireman up in Wilbarger County who had the stuff to load up whatever a person wanted for half of store bought prices. He would sit around and make money in his Lay Zee Boy recliner while the other slab savers were laughing at fat ladies fighting on Jerry Springer re runs on TV. They didn’t let him cook cause hi picked his nose while stirring the stew. Found out later he just did that to escape KP duty. Firemen ain’t right in the head.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Know there is money to be made in the hobby. We used to have a fireman up in Wilbarger County who had the stuff to load up whatever a person wanted for half of store bought prices. He would sit around and make money in his Lay Zee Boy recliner while the other slab savers were laughing at fat ladies fighting on Jerry Springer re runs on TV. They didn’t let him cook cause hi picked his nose while stirring the stew. Found out later he just did that to escape KP duty. Firemen ain’t right in the head.
    You sure seem to have loads of bad advice for reloading . We should rename this thread to “Ignore Whatever bigwheel says.”

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You sure seem to have loads of bad advice for reloading . We should rename this thread to “Ignore Whatever bigwheel says.”

Not like there are any laws against manufacturing and selling ammo without a license.

/sarcasm (yes there are)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toolfreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    Allen Texas
    I dont even let anyone shoot my reloads in case of something going wrong.Luckily I have never had an issue with my own and hopefully never will so I will always practice caution.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Do others just try to reduce the cost, or do you look at reloading as a separate hobby like shooting that just happens to have the side benefit of reducing the cost?
    Both and more.
    • Without the cost savings, my .460 Wby would never be fired.
    • Without the ability to make stuff that can't be bought in stores, my 6.5BR would never be fired.
    • Without the cost savings, my .308s would rarely be fired.
    • Without the fun of reloading (and, yes, I think it's fun) there are many things I wouldn't shoot at all.
    That all seems like reason enough.

That said, in my old age I'm considering reducing my gun collection to just things chambered in 9mm, 7.62x39, and .22LR. I could give up reloading and I really don't think I'd miss it. I'd miss my favorite .38 Specials but I wouldn't miss most of the reloading.

I'm pretty sure if I did that, though, I wouldn't make it a year before I'd buy a compact reloading setup with some BR dies and occasionally chase accuracy with a 7.62x39. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm thinking that if I had that rifle I could just buy a box of factory shells.

I'd shoot one round every 4th of July.
    I'd be set for 20 years.
    I've let people shoot it at reunions. Few people seem to want a second shot. :)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm thinking that if I had that rifle I could just buy a box of factory shells.

I'd shoot one round every 4th of July.
    I'd be set for 20 years.
    It's a pistol.
    No, I didn't want a second shot.
    Yes, I fired again. Ben is persuasive.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    My shooting buddy told me he doesn't load for anyone nor allow people to shoot his reloads. Not his kids or anyone. Except me. I guess I'm not people!

Sadly, last Saturday tore it for me so no more visitors to the range on my name. Too much stupidity.

Back to topic on hand: I have a new-found love for single stage rifle loading. Just because I'm too cheap to buy the necessary parts to load 7.62 on my LNL.
    I can't explain it but I also can't justify buying a T7 with this love yet. Still waiting to put that special deal together!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    AA-8 is the answer you seek. ;) Seriously bring your dies and components down one day and you're welcome to give it a whirl.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I’ve never heard of #8; what’s it for?

I’m in San Antonio, on a phone and have fat fingers so searching is time consuming & frustrating.

Thanks

Top Bottom