• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plinkr

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    US
    Everyone has their favorite, bit I think most of us use more than one. Lyman is very popular, but personally I like Lee for starting out as it explains the basics very clearly.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Probably good to have more than one. There are quirks/characteristics of each (some more conservative than others for example), and having more than one can help work that out. Suggest that you DO have the manual for the bullets you are shooting at a minimum. As time went on, I've picked up manuals from several bullet and powder manufacturers that have served various combinations of components.

If you HAVE to have only one, you might consider something like the Lyman manual as it will contain information on several power and bullet manufacturers. The Sierra manual only lists Sierra bullets (Hornady bullets for Hornady manual, Berger bullets for Berger manual). The Hodgdon manual only includes their powders, etc.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Thanks, everyone. I haven't done any reloading for a while and so I have a couple of older manuals and a new Hornady manual that came with my progressive press. I just wanted to update, and can't buy a bunch at once, so I was curious which I should get next. I really liked my old Sierra manual, but that one is the only one that got ruined by water damage.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Thanks. I realize that everyone has their own opinion, but I'm hoping to get a few opinions and go from there. I guess I could have done a poll.
    If you are just starting in reloading, do research on line for the calibers you expect to reload for. Powder for that caliber might be a starting point. Or combination of bullets and powder, lots of forums discuss those combinations. The more calibers and bullets sizes, the options multiply the components. Right now there are more components available than there have been in quite a while. Brass is another issue. Some calibers of brass are almost impossible to find.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Every bullet is different get the books for the bullets you’ll use.

Side note, all bullets can be used with any book but loads should be worked up from mid level charges use caution as pressures vary.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    If I had a choice of one only it would be Lyman. Lyman 48 is easily found as a download on the internet. A little old but you can evaluate and buy the latest version if you like it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I had a choice of one only it would be Lyman. Lyman 48 is easily found as a download on the internet. A little old but you can evaluate and buy the latest version if you like it.
    Old Lyman manuals are gold. They'll have obsolete powders that us senior citizens have been hanging on to for 40 years.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Here are a few PDF's I came across.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Quickload and GRT software is 10x more versatile.
    Quickload doesn't run on Linux and GRT is a potential trip to dependency hell. To wit -

$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6
    $ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386
    $ sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf:i386
    $ sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-murrine:i386
    $ sudo apt-get install gnome-themes-extra:i386
    $ sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev:i386

Of course, that won't stop me from trying it.

Thanks for the pointers.

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    My most recent manual purchase was the Lee 2nd Ed. (2021 revision)

Inexpensive, and it has a remarkably inclusive list of powders, for each bullet weight, for each cartridge included. Many more than any other manual I've run across.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom