• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Years ago, (early 90s), I bought a Speer manual (#11, I think). It served me well for many years. I spent hours studying ballistics of various calibers, even ones I didn't own.

Through the years , I have been gifted a variety of manuals. I enjoy looking and comparing. Most recently, I was given a new Hornady. I have especially enjoyed it because when supplies got scarce, it seemed like Hornady bullets were the most available .

I have also purchased a manual specifically for my TC contender calibers. I feel it is extremely valuable since the loads are developed in contenders length barrels.
    ARJ Defense ad

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    QuickLOAD and Gordon's Reloading Tool do not generate pressure tested data. They both output calculated solutions. If you want to use starting loads 15% below the calculated max and go through all those components to work up a load you're not likely to get into trouble, but if you believe all those calculations are accurate you're simply misled. There are known issues with certain cartridges in the QL database where the calculations are even more significantly inaccurate. I have been using it myself for at least ten years, and maybe closer to 15 years...and I have learned that it has some pretty significant limitations. I ALWAYS check published data as well, when it is available. I have over 100 different references and they get used, but occasionally I'm off in uncharted waters where all I have is QuickLOAD. In situations like that I am extremely cautious and have never had a mishap as a result, but I do not blindly accept QL's outputs.

Don’t know what to tell you. I shoot very few SAAMI cartridges outside of 308 and 223.

Every other cartridge I own is a wildcat or improved version of something. I’ve yet to blow anything up.

Not sure what your issue was but based on my experience fooling with non SAAMI cartridges I lean toward operator error.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom