• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    According to a review I watched, the Springfield Range Officer doesn't tolerate cheap ammo. It jams up easily if you don't use really good ammo. He said the tolerances are too tight, but that good 1911's are all that way.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    According to a review I watched, the Springfield Range Officer doesn't tolerate cheap ammo. It jams up easily if you don't use really good ammo. He said the tolerances are too tight, but that good 1911's are all that way.

1911’s require a break-in.
    Depending on how tightly the gun is built the break-in may be more than 500 or even 1000 rds.
    Quality magazines are a must. Cheap no-name chinese mags are money thrown down a hole. Buy once-cry once.
    Same same for ammo.
    Don’t waste money on cheap crap unknown gun show reloads in a ziplock baggie.
    Federal, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, etc are what you want.
    Once the gun gets broken in it will run just fine.
    You will also need to learn how to disassemble,clean, reassemble it properly. It ain’t rocket science trust me.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not too sure about the 9mm's, but in the 45's you'll have to spend a bit more for one that doesn't need breaking in. My S&W hasn't had any issues from day one.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    No break-in period was required for my regular R1 that was less than $500. And no break-in period no matter how long, would have fixed the factory magazines failing to feed on the penultimate round, every time. Wilson Combat mags did fix it. Never bothered to figure out if it was the design of the follower, or the mag spring, or the shape of the feed lips. And since I was shopping anyway, I also replaced the slide release with an extended one, and the polymer mainspring housing with a vintage metal one.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    1911’s require a break-in.
    Depending on how tightly the gun is built the break-in may be more than 500 or even 1000 rds.
    Quality magazines are a must. Cheap no-name chinese mags are money thrown down a hole. Buy once-cry once.
    Same same for ammo.
    Don’t waste money on cheap crap unknown gun show reloads in a ziplock baggie.
    Federal, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, etc are what you want.
    Once the gun gets broken in it will run just fine.
    You will also need to learn how to disassemble,clean, reassemble it properly. It ain’t rocket science trust me.
    That's already a good variety of ammo, even if not just for a break-in period. I was just worried I would be stuck with only one brand of super expensive ammo.

I've already been watching 1911 cleaning videos. Of course, watching isn't doing.

While I have you here, what ammo were we using at the range? Especially what grain?

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm not too sure about the 9mm's, but in the 45's you'll have to spend a bit more for one that doesn't need breaking in. My S&W hasn't had any issues from day one.
    The price is already a bit of a shock. Spend more than a Remington R1 Enhanced, a Ruger SR1911. or a Springfield Range Officer? I doubt it.

That's a little too much of a shock to my system.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    No break-in period was required for my regular R1 that was less than $500. And no break-in period no matter how long, would have fixed the factory magazines failing to feed on the penultimate round, every time. Wilson Combat mags did fix it. Never bothered to figure out if it was the design of the follower, or the mag spring, or the shape of the feed lips. And since I was shopping anyway, I also replaced the slide release with an extended one, and the polymer mainspring housing with a vintage metal one.
    Less than $500?!

Why would you need an extended slide release? Was the slide release that came on the gun not working well?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The price is already a bit of a shock. Spend more than a Remington R1 Enhanced, a Ruger SR1911. or a Springfield Range Officer? I doubt it.

That's a little too much of a shock to my system.
    You may also find a good used one that has already been broken in. In any case Moonpie is a good one to follow on advise.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Of all the 1911 pistols the 9mm can be the hardest to get to run reliably.
    My experience has been quite the opposite. After shooting pimp daddy years ago, I bought three in 9mm. An RIA, A Colt competition, and a Springfield RO. All of them have run great with a wide variety of ammo.

I prefer the 1911 to the Beretta 92's because the grip is so much smaller. The CZ75 is somewhere in the middle. I liked the one I had, but it had ergonomic issues for me.

My advice for DH is definitely try before you buy. I'll happily let you shoot mine. Send me a PM if you want to.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    You could also come out to the reunion in October and get try all kinds of stuff. No additional rental charges either. Unless, of course, you just absolutely, possilutely, feel the need to spend money on something you don't need to. :clown:

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    My experience has been quite the opposite. After shooting pimp daddy years ago, I bought three in 9mm. An RIA, A Colt competition, and a Springfield RO. All of them have run great with a wide variety of ammo.

I prefer the 1911 to the Beretta 92's because the grip is so much smaller. The CZ75 is somewhere in the middle. I liked the one I had, but it had ergonomic issues for me.

My advice for DH is definitely try before you buy. I'll happily let you shoot mine. Send me a PM if you want to.
    I just tried to PM you and something went wrong. But, YES! Maybe this weekend at Lone Star?

I'll try to PM you again when I get home from work.

Top Bottom