• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    The comp on my 9mm PCC is caked in lead. Should I remove it or leave it as is? What's the best way to get this stuff off? It's hard as a rock, scraping isn't doing anything. This is less than 500 rounds of buildup shooting exposed base FMJ.
    d21a5feeb5b9940a84bcd7f5f7eecad1.jpg
    39bcc421e71c714d60d6fbe72dd293c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    The most effective way is also the most dangerous. “The dip.”

wfrr_rrc_4_l-h_2020-928x523.jpg

A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide creates a reactive solution which will remove the lead. But it creates Lead acetate which is hella toxic and can be absorbed through the skin.

Google

Suppressor cleaning "Dip" Instructions and Warnings​

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    To reduce/eliminate it from happening, try gas checks (yeah, I know, more work).

@Sam Colt
    Thanks for the secret sauce formula.
    Lead can be dissolved with muriatic acid, but that will also dissolve blueing, and aluminum.
    It also puts off really hazardous fumes.

Last edited:

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    In all seriousness, you maybe want to slug your barrel, or get some of the low temp casting aloy from Brownells.
    If it's oversize, then it is blowing flame past the bullet as it travels down the barrel, which will super heat the projectile.
    Possible that who ever cut your barrel used a .357 blank, not a true 9mm (,355).

I run an A2 flash hider, and have zero lead build up on it, even with FMJ with exposed lead base.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The comp on my 9mm PCC is caked in lead. Should I remove it or leave it as is? What's the best way to get this stuff off? It's hard as a rock, scraping isn't doing anything. This is less than 500 rounds of buildup shooting exposed base FMJ.
    d21a5feeb5b9940a84bcd7f5f7eecad1.jpg
    39bcc421e71c714d60d6fbe72dd293c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    It doesn't matter. As long as there's nothing that can cause an obstruction you'll be fine.

If it bothers you, take it off and put a tri lug on it. Assuming it's a blowback PCC, the majority of the recoil impulse is from the bolt slamming back, not the actual bullet firing

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    If you have a Lee Pot, just dip it in some molten lead and it will come right off.
    ^This, or, the melting point of lead is just a bit over 600 degrees F. So, you can melt the lead off of the steel comp with an ordinary propane torch or even a butane kitchen torch. Avoid breathing fumes, and work out in advance how you'll hold the comp without getting burned, but the lead will melt easily.

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy
    I have used a baking soda blaster to clean .22 suppressor baffles. Works great! Doesn’t affect the finish. You can use a blasting cabinet, or free hand outside (which makes a mess).

Top Bottom