• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    Is anyone going to the Ren fair this weekend 10/22 and 23. My two oldest boys and I are going be there. We will be staying in Tomball Saturday night so if anyone wants to meet up for supper that would be great.
    Gun Zone Deals

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    29fe7gz.jpg

Beer wench @ the Sea Devil Tavern

Seeing as it will be pirate weekend @ the TRF y'all need to stay for the last pub sing @ the Sea Devil Tavern featuring the Pirates of Bedlam. I'm not really into pirate music but the audience has some interesting people to look at. After they finish the firework in the arena are a short distance away. The fish & chips @ the Sea Devil tavern are really good!

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Looks like a lot a fun this year.

Husband and I have a weekend getaway planned for Highland weekend which is right before thanksgiving. We will do the King's Feast event.

I'll take pictures.

anyone else going Highland weekend?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Looks like a lot a fun this year.

Husband and I have a weekend getaway planned for Highland weekend which is right before thanksgiving. We will do the King's Feast event.

I'll take pictures.

anyone else going Highland weekend?
    Mmmm Kings Feast, 2 hours of all you can eat including
    prime rib & beer. One of the best deals @ the festival. Took the wife & inlays once for the wifes birthday. FIL who likes eating complained there was to much food! Never took the inlaws again.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks for the preview of King's Feast.

Husband and and I have a plan for Highland weekend. Three nights at a Conroe hotel and two Ren Faire days.

Kids will be at their grandparents.
    http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/B9359341-26CD-4A82-84A3-CB7757F28442_zpswryiuoyc.jpg[IMG]
    This is was our garb last year. Mine will be different this year but similar style.
    [URL]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/B9359341-26CD-4A82-84A3-CB7757F28442_zpswryiuoyc.jpg[/URL]

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Things to consider going to the festival.
    1) 1774 is only 2 lanes. Traffic can really suck, both coming & going. Watch the fireworks as the traffic dies down.
    2) Attendance is on average 30,000 people. It's been as high as 50,000.
    3) It's a rain or shine event & generally no refunds. Check local weather report as it can be a mud pit. If your driving from afar yoiur weather might not be the same as it is there.
    4) Bring lots of cash as many places do not take credit cards. ATMS on site break down often.
    5) If you smoke you don't want to buy them there!
    6) It's posted 30/06 & 30/07
    7) DWI task force often work the area.
    8) Don't drink out of the drinking fountains. The water stinks. Bottle water is $3.00. Stay hydrated, most of October is pretty warm.
    9) Cell phone & wifi is iffy.
    10) Plenty of law officers in the park. A friendly drunk might have his keys taken away & told he can have them back when sober enough to find them. Hostile drunks get beat down & go to jail.
    11) Lots of walking wear shoes that are up for it. Ladies the sidewalks are like cobblestone heels are pretty stupid to wear there.
    12) If your planning on seeing the acts get a program.
    13) Everything is expensive! Lots of the merchandise can be bought online cheaper.
    14) Most of the stuff for younger kids are in the very back.
    15) Best place for people watching is the Sea Devil Tavern. It's not really a place for little kids.
    16) It allergy season & you are out in the woods. Lots of bees stings happen. It's not uncommon to get stung in the mouth while taking a drink.
    17) You can't buy a drink on Sunday until 10:00. There is no hard liquor served! Bloody Mary's, Margarita's & such are made with wine.
    18) Keep your young children close by as lost children is very common.
    19) Many acts are PG13.
    20) If your costume includes a weapon it must be peace tied.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Things to consider going to the festival.
    1) 1774 is only 2 lanes. Traffic can really suck, both coming & going. Watch the fireworks as the traffic dies down.
    2) Attendance is on average 30,000 people. It's been as high as 50,000.
    3) It's a rain or shine event & generally no refunds. Check local weather report as it can be a mud pit. If your driving from afar yoiur weather might not be the same as it is there.
    4) Bring lots of cash as many places do not take credit cards. ATMS on site break down often.
    5) If you smoke you don't want to buy them there!
    6) It's posted 30/06 & 30/07
    7) DWI task force often work the area.
    8) Don't drink out of the drinking fountains. The water stinks. Bottle water is $3.00. Stay hydrated, most of October is pretty warm.
    9) Cell phone & wifi is iffy.
    10) Plenty of law officers in the park. A friendly drunk might have his keys taken away & told he can have them back when sober enough to find them. Hostile drunks get beat down & go to jail.
    11) Lots of walking wear shoes that are up for it. Ladies the sidewalks are like cobblestone heels are pretty stupid to wear there.
    12) If your planning on seeing the acts get a program.
    13) Everything is expensive! Lots of the merchandise can be bought online cheaper.
    14) Most of the stuff for younger kids are in the very back.
    15) Best place for people watching is the Sea Devil Tavern. It's not really a place for little kids.
    16) It allergy season & you are out in the woods. Lots of bees stings happen. It's not uncommon to get stung in the mouth while taking a drink.
    17) You can't buy a drink on Sunday until 10:00. There is no hard liquor served! Bloody Mary's, Margarita's & such are made with wine.
    18) Keep your young children close by as lost children is very common.
    19) Many acts are PG13.
    20) If your costume includes a weapon it must be peace tied.

I don't think I have ever seen such good advice for any event, at any time, on these here pages.

Be well.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I use to love going to Fest back in Minnesota. My kid brother was an apprentice blacksmith for 5 or 6 years and my Mom has been serving beer there for like 10 years running. I have been to a couple handfull.

Good times for a weekend of something different.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    19) Many acts are PG13.
    You mean, "cleaned up for the kiddies", don't you?

RenFest used to be, frankly, a place for adults. Comics told jokes that they immediately followed with "If your kid understood that joke, you got problems at home!" The chain mail girls wore loosely woven chain mail minidresses and nothing else; tip 'em enough and they would embarrass the hell out of anyone. The dunk tank was some lovely local teenager dressed in a t-shirt...and nothing else. Even the fairies that appeared in the trees were barely dressed.

And when the gates closed, if you hung around outside you would hear a great deal of commotion inside. That was the start of the wolf run, where all the regulars would leave all their clothes in a pile by the front gate and run a circuit through the grounds sans any clothing other than shoes. The party that followed was pretty epic, every night.

Now? Pretty much all of that has been gone for decades. It's been bleached clean for public consumption.

It's lost its edge.

It's probably been 30 years since RenFest was little more than a way for a core group to eke out a living between nightly bacchanales.

I miss the old days.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You mean, "cleaned up for the kiddies", don't you?

RenFest used to be, frankly, a place for adults. Comics told jokes that they immediately followed with "If your kid understood that joke, you got problems at home!" The chain mail girls wore loosely woven chain mail minidresses and nothing else; tip 'em enough and they would embarrass the hell out of anyone. The dunk tank was some lovely local teenager dressed in a t-shirt...and nothing else. Even the fairies that appeared in the trees were barely dressed.

And when the gates closed, if you hung around outside you would hear a great deal of commotion inside. That was the start of the wolf run, where all the regulars would leave all their clothes in a pile by the front gate and run a circuit through the grounds sans any clothing other than shoes. The party that followed was pretty epic, every night.

Now? Pretty much all of that has been gone for decades. It's been bleached clean for public consumption.

It's lost its edge.

It's probably been 30 years since RenFest was little more than a way for a core group to eke out a living between nightly bacchanales.

I miss the old days.

Patrons camp grounds picked up alot of that slack. Many people never leave the camp ground for the faire. They have something big in the plans for the camp grounds!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Uh... Those Shakespeare guys are pretty edgy, just sayin.
    Speaking of Shakespeare the guy who played Shakespeare for many years @ many festivals Duncan Inches died a few years back. Duncan was a Screen Actors Guild actor as well. His favorite big job was playing the back of Jack Nicholson head in The Departed

Top Bottom