Lynx Defense

Researching AR-15's. (Leaning towards RRA)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    Background; First this will be my first personally owned AR-15. Due to my USAF background I have fired the Colt M16A1 & A2. So I have a limited knowledge on the AR15. The sole purpose of me purchasing an AR is for recreation use, shooting paper. I don't hunt and researching shotguns for home protection. I currently CC between a Glock 23 & 36, which is also for home protection. My budget isn't high also. I don't want to spend a lot but I know I'm not going to walk out with one for $500. I don't want a bunch of accessories on it as I would like to get proficient in it's basic form.

With all that said I'm leaning towards the RRA Elite Operator2 with RRA Dominator EOTech mount. Seems to me to be a solid weapon for a good price.

Please keep comments constructive and appreciate any and all info. THANKS!!!
    Hurley's Gold

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    I think that's a good choice. I really like the Smith and Wesson M&P15 series for a $1,000 middle quality AR though.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    IMHO you can get a lot better rifle for your money then a RRA. This becomes even more true if you are willing to buy a seperate upper and lower.

You can put together a very good rifle for 800.
    Lower of your choice, Lower parts kit and stock should be 250-300 depending on stock
    BCM upper + bolt and charge handle +handguard = 500-550
    All you will need after tha is a rear site, and or reddot 35-as much money as you have

I will not express my issues with the RRA here if you would like to here why it is not the best bang for your buck. (pun intended) I can PM you

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Centerfire has what they call a "Vietnam Era" AR 15. Its made from original A1 parts (some used) and is selling for $629
    I am just plain poor right now but being a '70s era USAF veteran I truely lust after the model I drug everywhere for 4 years. I too want one just to plink and this one has so many memories in its design. Since I no longer need to bet my life on a gun, I want this one. If you buy one don't get em all, I am still saving my pennies.
    Centerfire Systems - AR Firearms

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I have an M&P15, it's my personally owned AR. So far it's been a great rifle. Purchased it for $700 at CTD when they were on sale. Should have been $600 but S&W never sent me my $100 rebate.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Already owning a LAR-8, I almost bought the same RRA you are looking at, then I did some research.

Now it will be a Colt or BCM. Possibly a S&W if I found one for the right price.
    I found the M4 Comparison Chart to be very good reading ; KLiK

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    If you are just going to use it for range duty and don't mind tapping some pins in holes, you can get a Del-ton kit for about $500 and a stripped lower receiver for around $100. You'll be able to specify to some degree how the upper receiver is configured. All you need to do is assemble the lower receiver and snap the two halves together.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    If you do decide to go the M&P 15 route (which I do recommend although I'm a casual user not an expert) I don't think you can beat the prices at GT Distributors unless there's another overstock dump like there was with the flattops last year.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    I have an M&P15, it's my personally owned AR. So far it's been a great rifle. Purchased it for $700 at CTD when they were on sale. Should have been $600 but S&W never sent me my $100 rebate.

Did you make a copy of the rebate materials? If so, I suggest following up with them, $100 is worth a letter and a phone call IMO. S&W is good about these things although the rebate processing is outsourced. I'd contact S&W directly.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Don't get RRA's from RRA. Try going through a local dealer that should charge less than the MSRP you're paying at RRA direct.

That said, build your own. You can save some money but build a ton of experience. You're local enough I'd come out and help with most of the tools you'll need for a six pack of Dr Pepper.

You can build your own AR15 for under $700 with the right sale. Just buy the receiver.

Link below is everything you need minus the receiver, magazine, and sights, for under $500. Add those and you're under $700 and you'll know how to put one together.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=944328 upper receiver. $499

A receiver should be had for $120 or less. Sights are your preference.

Here's a code to bring it down another $50.00

To receive Savings:
    1. Add regular price, in-stock products to your cart totaling:
    $10 off $100 or more - Use Promotion Code 1011177
    $25 off $250 or more - Use Promotion Code 2011177
    $50 off $500 or more - Use Promotion Code 3011177
    2. Enter the promotion code into the box titled, "Promotion Code" on the shopping cart page.
    3. See the discount applied on the Confirmation page near the end of the checkout.
    Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. CT on January 23, 2011

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have an RRA AR15. The DEA uses this rifle. While I am not an "operator" I have been to a couple of schools with mine. It was as accurate or more so than any other rifle there, and I had ZERO malfunctions.

RRAs are fine weapons.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I have an RRA AR15. The DEA uses this rifle. While I am not an "operator" I have been to a couple of schools with mine. It was as accurate or more so than any other rifle there, and I had ZERO malfunctions.

RRAs are fine weapons.

Why get a "fine weapon" when you can get Top Tier for the same price?

M4 chart.jpg

Pic is taken from the top if the M4 chart posted on page 1

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    RRAs are great rifles especially the RRA NM A2.. good quality stuff. Can't go wrong with RRA at all.
    S&Ws are good as well. Never heard of any complaints for them.

With that said I have only 1 AR that I haven't built, and its a Colt 6520 CAR lightweight. It's really light and is exceptionally accurate as well. Got it as a LE trade in for a song.

But its not unrealistic to be able to build a good AR for around $600. Really depends on what you want it for....

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    The AR chart is well worth consulting. You can determine which features are important to you and then find a rifle that has those features. That being said, it is hard to rationally justify purchasing a rifle that is missing key features when another company offers a rifle at the same or similar price with the features included. A properly staked gas key really isn't a luxury, it's something you need.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    FYI, an AR carbine makes an excellent home defense weapon when you put a light on it and load it with good ammunition. Stay away from VMax bullets like the lighter Hornady TAP loads, though. VMax is a varmint bullet. Underpenetration. Military M193 is excellent for HD because it fragments on target, but still penetrates the correct amount.

Why get a "fine weapon" when you can get Top Tier for the same price?

View attachment 6567

Pic is taken from the top if the M4 chart posted on page 1

Yeah, the same chart puts Bushmaster higher than DPMS. In my experience, this is incorrect. That is also not an all-inclusive list of features even though it's a really good guide.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Actually, forget all of this garbage and go get a real rifle: FN SCAR 17! Shoots real bullets real accurate and will add at least 50WHp to your car on the way to the range!

I plan to build a few ARs this year, just for the hell of it. I also plan to swap out the M&P15 barrel for a 1:7 twist barrel. If you start buliding your own you open up all sorts of doors. However, like reloading I sorta doubt it saves much money in the long run. As I'm learning to take things apart I'm spending money to replace those parts with others. As of now my M&P15 is being transformed in to a Magpul whore. Just lacks a new stock at the point. Luckily the irons are fine or I'd be in real trouble - $200 worth of Troys.

And continuing in that vane: shall we discuss trigger selection? Spend the money on a really good rifle and give it a crap battle trigger....why? So then you start to look around...2 stage, adjustable, match grade? How much you want to spend?

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Yeah, the same chart puts Bushmaster higher than DPMS. In my experience, this is incorrect. That is also not an all-inclusive list of features even though it's a really good guide.

The ranks rifles by how close they are to mil spec, it does not judge an individual Bushy vs an individual DPMS. It is also not the be all end all of the AR platform.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    This is all good info. I just woke up so I'll read that chart later. I don't want to build my own. With me being out of country I want to come home for my R&R, pick it up from my local store and go to the range. Lastly, it seems to me we have a lot of brand loyal followers. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes your loyalty vase your opinion. I appreciate the info and please keep it coming! THANKS!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    FYI, an AR carbine makes an excellent home defense weapon when you put a light on it and load it with good ammunition. Stay away from VMax bullets like the lighter Hornady TAP loads, though. VMax is a varmint bullet. Underpenetration. Military M193 is excellent for HD because it fragments on target, but still penetrates the correct amount.

I think Bushmaster use to make top notch stuff but they got greedy with sales and let their production over rule quality.
    I got a good deal on a DPMS a while back and have not had a single problem at all. I love it. The only thing I want to do to it is put a 14.5" barrel and a welded flame hidder on it.
    Defense ammo, I agree. Buy a ammo box full of SS109 and several magazines. I shot some silver bear 55 grain steel cased zink plated today. Pretty good stuff. At 100 yards I had 6" group circles with iron sights. Then I shot some 2x4's. Put two of them together and the bullet went all the way through the first board and blew a big hole out of the second. Got the ammo at $100 for 500 rounds.

Top Bottom