Texas SOT

Researching AR-15's. (Leaning towards RRA)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I'll give my .02 here FWIW. CTD has Colt 6920's for 919.00. Why would anyone buy anything less? If your like me and have money today but piss broke next week, being able to get your money back in a bind is huge. That's why I don't build AR's. I could build one for far less,. but could I get my money out of it later? I personally won't buy a homebuilt and know others that feel the same. For 919.00 you get as close to an M4 as you can. When the AR fever was on I'd say go for the RRA or Bushy. Prices are good so get an A+ rifle while the getin is good.
    ARJ Defense ad

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Another thing to consider is RRA doesnt make their own parts. All they do is assemble to pieces.
    Dont rule out building your own.
    Im building a new AR15 right now out of a DPMS lower I bought from a friend. Is going to be my new 14.5" barreled gun. Welded flash hider of course.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    Another thing to consider is RRA doesnt make their own parts. All they do is assemble to pieces.
    Dont rule out building your own.
    Im building a new AR15 right now out of a DPMS lower I bought from a friend. Is going to be my new 14.5" barreled gun. Welded flash hider of course.

I see people doing the 14.5 with a welded hider, but I don't understand it. I would love for someone to shed some light on this. Is there a benefit to this?

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    it gives you the shortest legal length, Yet you still get the flash suppression, or the advantages of a break depending on the direction you go. + a 14.5 inch with a mid-length gas system is a gift from God it is so smooth.

slapaho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    SA
    I just ordered a Spike's Tactical complete mid-length. They meet all the same "desirable features" as the Colt 6920 and BCM on that M4 comparison chart. $810

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Background; First this will be my first personally owned AR-15. Due to my USAF background I have fired the Colt M16A1 & A2. So I have a limited knowledge on the AR15. The sole purpose of me purchasing an AR is for recreation use, shooting paper. I don't hunt and researching shotguns for home protection. I currently CC between a Glock 23 & 36, which is also for home protection. My budget isn't high also. I don't want to spend a lot but I know I'm not going to walk out with one for $500. I don't want a bunch of accessories on it as I would like to get proficient in it's basic form.

With all that said I'm leaning towards the RRA Elite Operator2 with RRA Dominator EOTech mount. Seems to me to be a solid weapon for a good price.

Please keep comments constructive and appreciate any and all info. THANKS!!!

I have a Rock RIver lower with their 2 stage trigger. I like it, though I'm sure there is some better. I've happy with it.

At first I stuck a DPMS A2 upper on it. Good upper for a great deal. I put about 3 hundred rounds through it. No failures. I can't hit squat with iron sights (my buddy was a much better shot. . .it wasn't the rifle), so I sold it. I got a BCM midlegth flat top. . . .LOVE IT. Much better fit and finish than the DPMS. Granted, I got the DPMS shipped for just less than 400. The basic BCM was 537 plus the cost of handguards (I really like magpul's). I loaded up some 70 grain barnes TSX and I got two dead deer to show for it.

Its no problem getting a lower and upper of different companies. Its not hard to take apart and back together. (there are some older colts that have some differently placed pins. . .. . .there really isn't a good reason to get a Colt AR anyway : P )

I recommend getting a flat top. You can easily put a rear sight or a riser on a basic flat top. . .. putting a scope on an A2 on the other hand. . . . . .

You can read into getting all the things on the "chart." Its good stuff, but most of us are just recreational shooters. Just cause a rifle doesn't have all the things, doesn't mean it won't be a great shooter.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I currently own just two RRA ARs. I once had five, but I recently sold three. The first RRA rifle was a 20" heavy barreled Varmit Rifle that I built. I soon found out the one I built didn't shoot any better than the ones RRA builds. The RRA ARs are a perfect platform if you want to customize your AR. Most RRA ARs come with a nice two stage trigger already in the rifle. The rest of the doodads are your own personal choice. The RRA rifles are very accurate and the performance is as solid as the EverReady Bunny. As far as them not making their own parts, most AR sellers do the same thing. S&W is reportly making their own parts as well as custom guys like Les Baer. They also charge more for their product. I do not care who makes the parts in my ARs as long as the fit and finish is good. The RRA rifles that I have owned have been very well made and very tight. This attention to quality control results in accurate rifles.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    I currently own just two RRA ARs. I once had five, but I recently sold three. The first RRA rifle was a 20" heavy barreled Varmit Rifle that I built. I soon found out the one I built didn't shoot any better than the ones RRA builds. The RRA ARs are a perfect platform if you want to customize your AR. Most RRA ARs come with a nice two stage trigger already in the rifle. The rest of the doodads are your own personal choice. The RRA rifles are very accurate and the performance is as solid as the EverReady Bunny. As far as them not making their own parts, most AR sellers do the same thing. S&W is reportly making their own parts as well as custom guys like Les Baer. They also charge more for their product. I do not care who makes the parts in my ARs as long as the fit and finish is good. The RRA rifles that I have owned have been very well made and very tight. This attention to quality control results in accurate rifles.

Good info.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    "Top Tier" that makes me laugh. Those are just someones opinions, many of which I don't agree with. Of course, I shoot my guns.

If having properly tested parts that are correctly installed is not something you value then by all means laugh at my gun. I gues we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    The question of which AR15 to get cannot be answered in one sentence. You have to ask yourself several questions.

What are you going to use it for? Plinking, match shooting, hunting? What type and price ammo will you use? Will you ever be reloading? What add-on parts or replacement parts will you want to put on it? Want to use a scope? Bipod?

I got lucky because the first one I looked at was exactly what I wanted and needed and I didn't know it. I got a Colt HBAR from a guy that only had it a couple months. It came with a bolt on scope, bipod, and custom bag. Oh, with a scope you need one of those bolt on cheek pads that go over the top of the stock to raise your face. It's a big help.

This came with a 1:7 twist barrel. What I found out through trial, MUCH trial and error, that it would not consistently shoot 55 grain bullets accurately. I eventually found the exact bullet for the best price, 62 grain. So, unless one wants to get more expensive ammo, 68 or 69 grain, a 1:8 or 1:9 twist barrel is what one should get. Of course if you are just plinking cans, then one could use the 55 grainers with any of them I guess. But then with a 1:9 twist barrel, you cannot use the heavier ammo, 68 or 69 or higher grain, to hunt with.

I was able to install a Titanium Firing Pin with no changes. Probably not needed for the average shooter but it was made for this model. Other add-ons are availalble. You should know that to shoot in a sanctioned military match, you cannot use a Flat Top.

A friend had one of those Bushmasters with the Ultra Heavy Barrel but I could hardly hold it up in Offhand. Naturally he had one of those lead weights in the butt to balance it out. So it was REAL heavy, darn near heavy as an M1. My Colt is a Heavy Barrel but it ain't that heavy. I shoot good Offhand with it.

So many variations in AR's, there's probably a book to read on it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    "Top Tier" that makes me laugh. Those are just someones opinions, many of which I don't agree with. Of course, I shoot my guns.

I don't understand how factual data such as the actual specs listed on the chart can be called an opinion. And I'm pretty sure the DEA canceled their contract with RRA after the first 85 or so rifles delivered had to be sent back due to one problem or another. That being said, the one RRA lower I have has not given me any problems.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I have basically the same question as the OP. However, I am more than willing to buy in pieces if it saves me a nickel. From what I've been able to determine I want to get a BCM lower? But I'm new to this and I'm willing to listen.

I will end up with two uppers, one must come from RRA as it will be a .458 SOCOM. The other I will look for durability and best for the money.

I don't mind putting this together. So I suppose my question is also what lower should I get?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The lower matters a lot less than the upper. All the lower does is pin onto the upper, hold the trigger components and magazine and bear the serial number. You won't notice the difference (performance-wise) between a $100 lower and a more expensive one.

If you're going to skimp, do it on the lower. If you're going to spend bank, do it on the upper.

Top Bottom