• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • koddc

Jul 15, 2009
    houston deep n/w
    S & W 500. Big revolvers shoot BIG boolits ! 700 grains !
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• 2021.jpg
      2021.jpg
      354.7 KB · Views: 60
    • 1983.jpg
      1983.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 60

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm old, forgot to take it from my bag of stock
    Interesting. Mine is flat, bare metal, with the handle going in one direction (like the one in the center of your picture) and has the feeler gauge attached. They sure have changed a lot over the years.

koddc

Jul 15, 2009
    houston deep n/w
    Interesting. Mine is flat, bare metal, with the handle going in one direction (like the one in the center of your picture) and has the feeler gauge attached. They sure have changed a lot over the years.
    VERY early 2 piece type

Attachments

• IMG_20230703_135820630.jpg
      IMG_20230703_135820630.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 47

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    so what is the View attachment 395166 big deal about a DAN Wesson anyway.? Let me count the ways !
    That grip second from the left is the most comfortable handgun grip I've ever held. I will probably not get around to it before I die but I have an action for a custom pistol build where I intend to have that that thing 3-D scanned and then machined from aluminum. It's that good.

koddc

Jul 15, 2009
    houston deep n/w
    hello
    glad you liked it. over the years i have collected many variations of D / W parts. these 3 fit the .357. note the subtle differences at the bottom, but feel TOTALLY different in the hand.
    IMG_20230708_160859864.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    An 80's Colt Commando from my late father-in-law. Amazingly, in the 68 year history of the D-frame, this particular example also happens to be a birth year gun for me. I guess it was destined to be! Not bad either that it's basically the Rockford Files gun, and other icons of my childhood.

Pictured are Bianchi speed strips with Federal Gold Medal Match 148gr wadcutters. Also a Bell Charter Oak IWB holster; the Deep Drop Bandit II I believe. IIRC, I believe it was @OIF2 that turned me on to Bell Charter Oak quite a few years ago (thank you sir!). Sadly, and I'm not 100% sure but, I don't think Lefty Lewis is making holsters anymore.

I added Agent length short grips from NC Ordnance (RW13-2-S), since it's the short D-frame and I wanted a bit of extra concealability. Also a BK grip adapter (#11). Surprisingly, the combo works quite well with the pinkie finger curled under, and the grip adapter does fill out the hand quite a bit better than it would seem. Tried a Safariland Comp II speedloader but, it won't work with these grips.

IMG_20230824_093619.jpg

All I know is, honestly, I never particularly cared for wheel guns all that much in the past. Heck, some of my past statements on this forum, in hindsight, come off as quite arrogant and annoying if I'm honest. All I will say is, now, this little Colt has given me a passion for wheel guns.

In the future, I foresee myself needing a Colt DS 1st and second series, also a 3 inch, an Agent and Cobra because reasons, a New Service snubby in .45LC (rare but apparently a few out there), a Smith 12-4, 15-3... the list is already getting long! ;)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    An 80's Colt Commando from my late father-in-law. Amazingly, in the 68 year history of the D-frame, this particular example also happens to be a birth year gun for me. I guess it was destined to be! Not bad either that it's basically the Rockford Files gun, and other icons of my childhood.

Pictured are Bianchi speed strips with Federal Gold Medal Match 148gr wadcutters. Also a Bell Charter Oak IWB holster; the Deep Drop Bandit II I believe. IIRC, I believe it was @OIF2 that turned me on to Bell Charter Oak quite a few years ago (thank you sir!). Sadly, and I'm not 100% sure but, I don't think Lefty Lewis is making holsters anymore.

I added Agent length short grips from NC Ordnance (RW13-2-S), since it's the short D-frame and I wanted a bit of extra concealability. Also a BK grip adapter (#11). Surprisingly, the combo works quite well with the pinkie finger curled under, and the grip adapter does fill out the hand quite a bit better than it would seem. Tried a Safariland Comp II speedloader but, it won't work with these grips.

View attachment 402674

All I know is, honestly, I never particularly cared for wheel guns all that much in the past. Heck, some of my past statements on this forum, in hindsight, come off as quite arrogant and annoying if I'm honest. All I will say is, now, this little Colt has given me a passion for wheel guns.

In the future, I foresee myself needing a Colt DS 1st and second series, also a 3 inch, an Agent and Cobra because reasons, a New Service snubby in .45LC (rare but apparently a few out there), a Smith 12-4, 15-3... the list is already getting long! ;)

That same gun was my dad’s carry gun when he was a detective.

My sister has it now.

Top Bottom