• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Remarks on the NRA site discussing the Mark IV indicate that it's not CA compliant.

I've owned the Mark I and Mark III, and even though I've taken them apart a thousand times, I fully expect to spend some time in hell to make up for the string of curses that I've issued when those things wouldn't go back together.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Remarks on the NRA site discussing the Mark IV indicate that it's not CA compliant.

I've owned the Mark I and Mark III, and even though I've taken them apart a thousand times, I fully expect to spend some time in hell to make up for the string of curses that I've issued when those things wouldn't go back together.
    The fact that it is not California compliant speaks volumes. The MKIII in my opinion was a chunk of shit. It was made so Ruger could keep Bill's little pistol in the state of California. The fact that you can barely find a MKII for sale but if you throw a rock you can probably hit someone selling a MKIII should say something. The fact that MKIII owners will make up every excuse and do everything they can to the tune of 1-200 bucks worth of modifications to make it as reliable as the II should tell you everything you need to know about the III.

It is good to see Ruger write off the California market. I hope they did not make the decision too late. If anyone here gets a MKIV, let me know and I will bring ammo( many flavors worth) and buy lunch if you let me shoot it. I am truly curious if they were able to improve upon the II. ( shitting in a bucket and throwing it off a pier would be an improvement over the MKIII )

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Damn. I guess I'll have to start hating my MKIII now.

For full disclosure, and having only shot a MKII a couple of times, I did put the Tandemcross mag-disconnect removal bushing in it. The trigger is still miles better than the early '60's no-mark sitting in my safe.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    From what I've read on the old Interwebz, due to the CA Micro Stamp Regulation, the Ruger Mark IV will NOT make "the Roster" of approved firearms.

And apparently Ruger doesn't want to modify it to comply with CA regulations either!

Good on them!

As someone on CalGuns stated, "keep voting Democrat, people, and in a few years all we will be allowed to buy will be rubber slingshots and pea shooters."

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    By the way, the Mk III has also been banned as of about two years ago...

No new guns may be added to the approved list unless they include "microstamping." Guns already on the approved list are not required to meet the microstamping requirement. Guns on the approved list have to re-certified periodically. If no substantive changes have been made, the gun stays on the list. If changes have been made, it has to go through the approval process anew, which will now include micorstamping.

Yes, Ruger has elected to voluntarily drop the Mark III from the State-approved handgun list. So has Smith and Wesson. Both companies claim the inability to adhere to the yet-to-be-defined microstamping requirement, and the added cost of having a California model in addition to a rest-of-the-country model. Any time a change is made to the fire arm, including something as small as a change in the SKU number, the entire firearm has to be re-submitted for testing, at great expense. Bersa added a key-lock safety to their popular Bersa Thunder 380, and California removed it from the approved list. When Bersa submitted the new key-lock model for testing, California said it did not pass.

I think the greater issue here is the Constitutionality of the list at all. Imagine if California had a State-approved music list. Or a State-approved magazine list. Or a State-approved religion list. States cannot restrict by legislation RIGHTS that are secured at the Federal level via the Constitution. So if the Feds say you have a RIGHT to peaceably assemble, the State cannot say "Yes, but only for the following list of organizations...."

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Ever heard of California compliant cars? This isn't their first rodeo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The easy take-down grabbed my attention.

But then, the wife drives a twelve-year-old minivan with about 120,000 miles on it. It is paid for and is cheap to insure.

I have a thirty year-old steel Ruger MK II that shoots to point of aim every time, never jams, and feels good in the hand.

Will I surrender the old Ruger for a new one?

Not likely.

Be well.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The wife's league gun.

Ruger22_45_Volquartsen.jpg

Everything in the Volquartsen catalog has been thrown at the gun

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Mk IV as on the cover of the latest issue of Guns & Ammo magazine. Just got the digital version, gonna read it this weekend when I'll have some time...

1475007559_475.jpg

Cheers! M2

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    The easy take-down grabbed my attention.

But then, the wife drives a twelve-year-old minivan with about 120,000 miles on it. It is paid for and is cheap to insure.

I have a thirty year-old steel Ruger MK II that shoots to point of aim every time, never jams, and feels good in the hand.

Will I surrender the old Ruger for a new one?

Not likely.

Be well.

Well the wife and I's buckmark;s are hitting their useful life. She loved my old Mark II, so this is something to think about for her-she might be giddy. I am liking the new S&W myself-mainly for the 1911 style setup and FO sight.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Well the wife and I's buckmark;s are hitting their useful life. She loved my old Mark II, so this is something to think about for her-she might be giddy. I am liking the new S&W myself-mainly for the 1911 style setup and FO sight.

How flimsy is a buckmark that it is nearing the end of its useful life? I have a MKII with over 300,000 rounds through it and it still punches bullseyes all day long?

Top Bottom