Gun Zone Deals

Ruger SR22 vs. Walther P22 (.22LR handgun question)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I would second looking at the M&P22. Same form factor and ergonomics as the full size M&P. Similar price point to the other two guns you are looking at.
    Guns International

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    3 reasons to by a Ruger MK...
    1. You can mount a red dot on top because most come with the rail accessory. The top is stationary.
    2. The mags are cheap
    3. Buy a cliploader ($25) and you will only need 1 magazine because you can reload it in 5 seconds without ruining your fingers.

It is a solid, long lasting, trouble free design. (until you have to disassemble it) My first one was not disassembled for 2 decades, and truly trouble free. Most people at the range are stunned that I can shoot a couple of hundred rounds between cease fire's (25 minutes) with one magazine.

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    The only reason I wont get the MK series is because of the sights..I would love to have one but I just cannot shoot them I have a hard time with the sights same reason I put a RDS on my Ruger 10-22 because I can't use the iron sights. At least with the others they use a 3 dot system that i can see easily without straining my eyes to shoot anything

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    Please post a link to a story about the P22 blowing up after firing out of battery.

Please post a link where someone tested a P22 and found it made of "pot metal."

The Internet where BS is more alive and well than ever.

DSCF1779.jpg

GRV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    San Antonio
    Citadel has a 1911/22 for $399. Comes with hogue grips and fiber optic front n rear sights. Don't know if it comes with an extra mag though.

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    Once again, where is the story that explains what happened. When did these happen? The Internet is rife with pictures of broken guns. Carters country has thousand dollar "blown up" rifles on display. But they explain what happened and what went wrong. You remind me of the state farm ad where the blonde says "They're not allowed to put anything on the Internet thats not true." When asked where she heard that she replies "the Internet."

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Once again, where is the story that explains what happened. When did these happen? The Internet is rife with pictures of broken guns. Carters country has thousand dollar "blown up" rifles on display. But they explain what happened and what went wrong. You remind me of the state farm ad where the blonde says "They're not allowed to put anything on the Internet thats not true." When asked where she heard that she replies "the Internet."

Do your own research on the slide issues the Walther P22. I don't own a P22 and won't, I found that Ruger uses better metal in the slide. The SR22 is a better gun.

If you have a Walther that works for you bang, good time.

I'm not getting called out by some small fish that does nothing but throw red harrings.

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    My walther works for me. it is picky about ammo, Mini Mags and Stingers cause it to work pretty reliabely. Shoot any thing else and well it is a good exercise in keeping the gun running.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    My walther works for me. it is picky about ammo, Mini Mags and Stingers cause it to work pretty reliabely. Shoot any thing else and well it is a good exercise in keeping the gun running.

Mini Mags and Stingers......Hummm, won't be long before we add a pic of yours as well.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    i own the ruger sr22 and have fired a friends walther p22. the ruger seems to use better materials but both of them are so small and light they almost feel like airsoft toys.

If I was choosing between the two it would be the Ruger.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Do your own research on the slide issues the Walther P22. I don't own a P22 and won't, I found that Ruger uses better metal in the slide. The SR22 is a better gun.

If you have a Walther that works for you bang, good time.

I'm not getting called out by some small fish that does nothing but throw red harrings.

I agree.

Also, i had jsut bought a p22, when i found out abotu the sr22 the next day on the front cover of american rifleman.

Shit. now i gotta buy ANOTHER GUN

pooooor me.

I do enjoy the P22 so far, it will eventually break, but what can you expect form a airsoft company, working with smith and wesson.
    i need to get a real walther one of these days

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    Citadel has a 1911/22 for $399. Comes with hogue grips and fiber optic front n rear sights. Don't know if it comes with an extra mag though.

Do you have any experience with this particular gun or know anyone who owns one? I know it's made by Chiappa Firearms and that's the only thing that's keeping me from getting it because I owned the Chiappa Firearms 1911-22 and it was a piece of junk with a crap ton of malfunctions..even after 3000 rounds it was still getting a lot of stovepipes and FTEs so I sold it. Academy has the Citadel 1911-22 for $299 with the range pack (3 mags, gun, eye protection, ear protection, cleaning kit, and carry bag) but I'm hesitant to get it simply because of the Chiappa name being a part of the company who makes it

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    One of the members on this forum(I forget who) had his fail(blow the top strap off) when it had an out of battery ignition. Most guns are designed to not allow the firing pin to strike unless the gun is in full battery. Obviously, the P22 is not. It may have been preventable, but it's pretty hard to spot when a slide barely doesn't return to full battery. Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a semi-auto if you have to check to make sure the slide is fully seated after every shot. I'm not a walther hater, I own a sw99 and one day will probably own a p38 or PPK. I'll take the word of another forum member sooner than the internets but I don't plan on buying one just to have it blow-up in my hand and prove a point. To each their own but my buckmarks and rugers have never had a problem like this. I side with Matefrio on this one, every once and a while, a picture IS worth a thousand words.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I wonder how much more expensive these firearms would be if they were made of a material better than pot metal? I really wanted one of the GSG 1911's, but was put off by the pot metal construction. Then I saw the Sig 1911 .22 and got excited until I found that it was the same gun with Sig on the side.
    I have not had any memorable failures with any Ruger, and I have a few of there .22 pistols and rifles. It seems that when I stray to another brand I am very disappointed.
    Go with the SR22, and never look back.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I bought a P22 at a gun show a couple of years ago mainly because I loved how it felt when I held it. It was and will be my one and only firearms impulse purchase. At the time, Ruger had not yet announced the SR22. Having since had a chance to hold the Ruger, it is every bit as nice in the hand, and seems to be a little better built. If I had to do it again I'd get the Ruger.

That said, I've had no issues with my P22 and don't plan to get rid of it.

Top Bottom