• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Dubna, Russia
    Russian Defense Ministry refused to purchase AK and AK-74 as well, head of the Russian General Staff Nikolai Makarov. According to him, stock machines many times the needs of the army. In the near future are going to do the old military stockpiles of small arms and wait for adopting a new model.

Famous machine was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1947 and adopted by the Soviet Army in 1949.

According to many experts, is the standard of reliability and ease of maintenance.

He served as the basis for a family of military and civilian small arms. Is the most common small arms in the world: the world has from 70 to 100 million copies of various modifications of the Kalashnikov assault rifle.

Above is a Google translation of the source:

Р*РѕСЃСЃРёСЏ: армия отказывается РѕС‚ закупок РђРљ-74 | euronews, РјРёСЂ

Today on Russian TV the almost same was in the news.
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Dubna, Russia
    Yes, the Google translation.
    On TV an army general tells about how many kalashnikovs are there on Russian firearm stock-piles, and moreover
    soon a new firearms would appear being as reliable as kalashnikovs, but better in other parameters.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Yea russian doesnt translate very well structure wise. Maybe Russia will pull the stick out of their ass and demil these babies and ship them over here.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Yes, the Google translation.
    On TV an army general tells about how many kalashnikovs are there on Russian firearm stock-piles, and moreover
    soon a new firearms would appear being as reliable as kalashnikovs, but better in other parameters.
    How about the Akaban aka An-94, seems to be a unique weapon.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't blame them for wanting something new. The AK is a great rifle except for the fact that the mag release sucks, it has terrible sights, the safety is awkward to manipulate, there's no last round hold open, no bolt release, and the charging handle is on the wrong side.

Saiga prices going down.
    I think in the short term, prices will go down as they sell their surplus. Then prices will probably go up because they would have severely scaled back production (or possibly close their doors) with no high volume buyer. If they do come up with something new and awesome it'll probably sell for $2500...

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    I don't blame them for wanting something new. The AK is a great rifle except for the fact that the mag release sucks, it has terrible sights, the safety is awkward to manipulate, there's no last round hold open, no bolt release, and the charging handle is on the wrong side.

I think in the short term, prices will go down as they sell their surplus. Then prices will probably go up because they would have severely scaled back production (or possibly close their doors) with no high volume buyer. If they do come up with something new and awesome it'll probably sell for $2500...

Sounds like a lot of opinion in there, not fact.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sounds like a lot of opinion in there, not fact.

I'm an AK fanboi and, yeah he's right for the most part. The sights unarguably suck, safety is idiotic, I can live with the mag release, but it could really use a bolt hold open at least (an automatic one that stays open til a new mag is in place), and the charging handle location does kind of suck. What he missed is that the AK trigger is shit.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I'm an AK fanboi and, yeah he's right for the most part. The sights unarguably suck, safety is idiotic, I can live with the mag release, but it could really use a bolt hold open at least (an automatic one that stays open til a new mag is in place), and the charging handle location does kind of suck. What he missed is that the AK trigger is shit.

You know Sage. I most respect the man that loves something, but who doesn't get his panties in a wad when somebody else doesn't and that he can acknowledge its shortcomings. Much respect to you.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX

You know Sage. I most respect the man that loves something, but who doesn't get his panties in a wad when somebody else doesn't and that he can acknowledge its shortcomings. Much respect to you.

If you remember who the rifle was designed for, some of those ( I do think the safety is retarded ) are perfect for what it is. Personaly, I like the sights, quick to find and get on target, and easy to use. Most people hate them, thats fine, everyone is entitled to there opinion on it. Same with bolt hold open deal, yea its nice to have, but when you see enough people's not lock back, Its another nice thing but not something to depend on.

Mic, I have a feeling that was geared against me a bit. Thats fine, because I stated that ones persons OPINIONS, were not facts, and im getting my panties in a wad, well, really doesnt bother me.

Oh, and that charging handle is great if you are a lefty : )

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Mic, I have a feeling that was geared against me a bit. Thats fine, because I stated that ones persons OPINIONS, were not facts, and im getting my panties in a wad, well, really doesnt bother me.

It was. But it was rude, insulting, and uncalled for. I take pride in accepting responsibility for my fuckups, so I apologize. Send me a PM next time you're gonna be in Austin and I'll buy you a beer.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    It was. But it was rude, insulting, and uncalled for. I take pride in accepting responsibility for my fuckups, so I apologize. Send me a PM next time you're gonna be in Austin and I'll buy you a beer.

No biggy. Next time im up there I will, but no need to buy the beer. I prefer Whisky. Hell Ill even bring the bottle.

Top Bottom