Hurley's Gold

Rust prevention on a constantly sweat covered gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Houston-Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Houston
    I bought a Ruger LCP Coyote Special a few months ago for a deep cover, shirtless attire gun. It rides under my zipper when I am outside a great deal in a thin nylon iwb holster w/ snap.

I have been wearing it for a week now since my last shooting and I noticed a massive amount of rust through the blueing (and Coyote special tattoos, eek). I sweat a large amount and I didn't even think about leaving it there while out walking or working outside. I guess my question is:

Is there a clear treatment of any kind to prevent this on the exterior only? Hopefully without hurting my "Coyote Special" tattoos.

Do I just need a holster that doesn't transfer moisture? I only know of the horsehide crossbreed super tuck that I have for my large framed Ruger.

Should I just buy a baby glock for such a deep cover item? Or would I eventually have the same sweat-corrosion problem with the tennifer or internal parts?

If this thread needs to be in a different place or whose answer exists in a different thread, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    Hurley's Gold

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I have a huge issue with condensation on my Sig duty weapon....All I seem to be able to do is wipe down daily and oil. The bottom of my P226 magazines have a lot of minor pitting.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Your thread is fine where it is. A daily wipe down before putting the gun away for the night will help minimize the rust. Also a thin coat of oil will help prevent rust and women like the smell of Hoppe's on a man.
    Glock as an alternative isn't a real fix because even though the frame won't rust, the slide is still steel so will leave you in the same boat. Any way you can put a layer of cloth (shirt or similar between you anf the gun? It will help wick the sweat and salt away from it.

As far as removing the rust, I would try some polishing compound to help remove it. Look at some steel wool (0000/very fine) or a ScotchBrite pad to remove. I can't imagine the rust would be bad enough to compromise the bluing after only a couple of weeks.

Remember Mom telling you; "An ounce of prevention..."

Houston-Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Houston
    I never heard the "An ounce of prevention.." lecture, but I get the idea. I sweat enough to soak the entire holster and keep it that way for 4-6 hours a day. I never thought to take it out once a day to clean. That seems like a great deal of work. Maybe if I put a rubber or plastic liner in the holster? dare I say 1/2 a ziploc. j/k

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I would be concerned of the rubber preventing a quick draw by grabbing too well. Maybe try ventilating the holster? If canvas, maybe some drilled holes and burning the edges to keep from unwinding? Plastic lining may also contribute to the "sweating" on the metal....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Sig slides are stainless ... while it can technically rust (oxidize) you can very easily control it by wiping it down and keeping a light coating of oil on it if you are letting it sit for a while.

Glocks have tenifer treated slides, they will not rust until you've worn the tenifer off of them. The treatment is not the coating they put on the slide, it's a chemical treatment to the metal itself and won't be worn off by normal usage. My 19 is testament to that.

1.jpg

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    K, except for you wanting to keep the finish I would suggest dura coat or another finish that does not react to moisture like bluing does. I sometimes spend hours in a tyvek suit and have had no luck in being able to keep anything dry that is worn close to the body. I am unsure that you will be able to find a holster that will work. Wish I had a better answer,

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    My take is duracoat or alumahide. I think you are kidding yourself if you think you can protect a blued gun in a salt environment with just a layer of oil. You need a layer of plastic or epoxy.

Houston-Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Houston
    The SmartCarry is "...100% waterproof rear panel to keep perspiration away from your gun!" Good call, Crabby! I wonder if I my junk would soak in from the sides. haha

I think the SmartCarry will be what I need if I want to keep that 5 pointed star of Texas on the top of my slide, but the glock might be future food for thought.

The Glock still rides on stainless rails, right?

If those internal parts were coated in TW-25B like all my firearms, would they still be susceptible to my salty corrosion?

Is the Tennifer finish able to be worn off by moisture/salt, or just abrasion?

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Possible idea:
    It's an IWB holster, right?
    Buy non-lubricated condoms, and slip a new one over the holster every morning before starting out for the day.
    Keep your weapon with a light coat of oil everytime you holster it, and the light coat of oil will transfer to the interior of the holster a little bit while the exterior doesn't have moisture affect it as much becuase of the "protection" (pun intended) draped over it.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I haven't had any problem with corrosion on Glocks, so that would be my recommendation.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I carry several "blued" 1911's and in Tx. I don't know of a way to do so without some rust forming on ocassion. When I do have rust develop I use the finest "steel wool" I can get along with "Break Free" to remove the rust (hopefully quickly) before it "pits" badly. I have considered "Duracoat" also but I really prefer "blued" finish on my guns.Good Luck

cog099

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Austin
    I have never been able to get a Glock to rust. Tennifer will not wear off as its harder than steel. If you want to keep using your lcp, you'll need a holster that will keep it dry, or get one hard chromed.

cog099

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Austin
    Sig slides are stainless and my p229 developed rust spots sitting in the safe. It was the stainless finish too, not the Nitron.

Top Bottom