• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    Which part of "Wolf" wasn't clear. There is no need to waste money on brass ammo for plinking and blasting at the range. Though I do realize some people think their ARs are too delicate for steel cased ammo.

Well, there's this: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/wolf-gold-223-55-grain-fmj-500-rounds?a=1581232

Granted it's wolf gold, but still wolf. And I'm one of those that don't put steel through my guns, because I don't like random ammo related malfunctions, because I can afford brass, and because my range doesn't allow steel anyways.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Well, there's this: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/wolf-gold-223-55-grain-fmj-500-rounds?a=1581232

Granted it's wolf gold, but still wolf. And I'm one of those that don't put steel through my guns, because I don't like random ammo related malfunctions, because I can afford brass, and because my range doesn't allow steel anyways.
    The only time I have ever had a cartridge fail to go boom was with a BRASS Remington .45ACP round.

When you say Wolf to people 99.9% of them understand you are talking about steel and most don't even know Wolf makes brass cased ammo. Plus iirc Wolf Gold 5.56 is reboxed PMC.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    From what I found in the past with steel is the chamber gets dirtier, probably due to steel not expanding as much as brass, which can often lead to cartridges getting stuck. Now I don't mind cleaning, I just rather not have to while I'm shooting. With brass I never seem to have that problem, therefore I prefer brass.

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    my colt sporter hbar won't run wolf. they actually get stuck in the chamber

Sent from my SIG Sauer

I shoot brass so much I forgot steel ammo even existed. The malfunctions are one thing the dirtier shooting is a huge nuisance as well. Plenty of reasons to not shoot steel if you can afford brass.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Steel doesn’t expand nearly as much as brass does and allows all the crud to build up in the chamber. Most people who have problems with steel, can overcome them if they load a brass one every 7th or 8th round, and crush all the crap out of the chamber.

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    Steel doesn’t expand nearly as much as brass does and allows all the crud to build up in the chamber. Most people who have problems with steel, can overcome them if they load a brass one every 7th or 8th round, and crush all the crap out of the chamber.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I would imagine for this to work, it's important you don't over lube the gun so the extra oil doesn't trap the gunk.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I would imagine for this to work, it's important you don't over lube the gun so the extra oil doesn't trap the gunk.
    Depends on what you call over lube. I clean the chamber and barrel using an oil solvent, but after it sits and I run a bore snake a few times, I don't oil it again, but I do oil and grease the upper and lower areas quite well.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yeah from what I gather, those early AR's used in battle weren't the beloved weapons they are today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    Don't think they were so different, the problem back then was our know all see all government decided to use power they had on hand and not the powder recommend for the 5.56. Fouled chambers and it puts you in a bad spot when your using a cleaning rod or a knife trying to clear stuck brass in a fight.

Top Bottom