Not open for further replies.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would risk my life to try and save my child. It is our duty as parents to do so.

I think the police acted very badly here. Yes, they may have saved the mans life but they did let the baby die.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Good on the police as citizens should not be allowed to make those decisions.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Could also have resulted in the death of both father and baby, and IMO the cop had to make a hard - and quick - decision. Had the father become trapped, firefighters would then have had to try to go in, putting THEM at risk as well. I understand the fathers' desire, and appreciate his selflessness - but at some point, you've got to say "Stop".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can't imagine the anger he must feel and IMO those feelings are completely justified.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Agree with TRN.

No one won here.

As a father, they would have had to TASER me to keep me from trying.

As a cop, I would not have allowed the man to enter.

No easy answers...

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    If they tasered the man to keep him from going in to save his baby than why would they allow firefighters to go in to save an adult?Why were the firefighters not going in then,if they weren't there then let the man go in.

As far as not letting citizens "make those decisions " what the heck do you think cops are?Do cops have some kind of special when not to let a human being try to save his child's life training?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If my child were in a burning house and ANYONE tried to stop me from saving them, I would use whatever force necessary to get them out if my way.

The firefighters would not have to go in for the father. It's his choice to make.

Three possible outcome.

1. Cops taze father. Father lives. Baby dies.. Father never knows if he might have been able to save his child if the cop hasn't signed its death sentence. Nobody wins.

2. Cops DON'T taze father. Father dies. Baby dies. Nobody wins.

3. Cops DON'T taze father. Father makes it out. Baby dies. Father knows he did everything he could. Father soared some of the grief.

4. Cops DON'T taze father. Father saves child and lives. Everybody wins.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    At some point, the structure itself becomes unsound. Look, guys - if the FD guys had retreated, it was for a DAMN good reason - I know plenty of cops AND FF's, both are serving because of a commitment to serve man. Obviously, FD had pulled out - what good would it serve to lose the father as well?

As TXI noted - As a father, I understand the man willing to give his life for one of his. As an ex-LEO, I also understand the cop not wanting to see the father lose HIS life, too. All of you wantin' to pile on the cop for this - were you there? Do you KNOW the level and degree to which the fire had spread??? Stop piling on a cop for having to make what was very likely one of the most agonizing decisions he's ever had to make, and appreciate the position he found himself in.

Let me take it one step further.......if you think the cop was SO out of place on this, kindly KMA.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If they tasered the man to keep him from going in to save his baby than why would they allow firefighters to go in to save an adult?Why were the firefighters not going in then,if they weren't there then let the man go in.
    Firefighters go in often. If the firefighters were not going in it meant the risk was far too great. These are tough decisions, made by brave men and women ON THE SCENE. These decisions seem easy from behind a keyboard. If the firefighters were not going in, that should tell you it was absolutely too dangerous for an untrained, unprotected civilian to go in. As harsh it it sounds, you don't add to the body count by making useless entries into structures.

As far as not letting citizens "make those decisions " what the heck do you think cops are?Do cops have some kind of special when not to let a human being try to save his child's life training?

A cop is a third party who has to make tough, rational decisions: not emotion filled irrational decisions that would result in the additional loss of life.

I agree, this situation sucks for all involved. Imagine this headline; " Fire to hot for firefighters, Police allowed man to perish making impossible attempt to save baby."

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    That's just a sad story. I'm sure the man will always resent that police officer for tasing him, but ultimately the officer probably prevented 2 casualties that day.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Certainly an emotion charged situation, across the board.
    I can see both sides of this.
    Nobody was completely wrong.(my opinion)

At some point, we gotta let the professionals do their job and trust them when they say "it's too late".
    Yes, I would have tried to go in myself if it had been my child. Angry at anyone who stopped me? Sure.

I'm saddened by the loss of life, but I don't see anything out of line here.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Look at it this way ,where do we draw the line on when a person should or shouldnt be "allowed"to defend ours or otheres lives?We cant go strictly on peoples emotional state.Whos calm and clear thinking in a gunfight?Should only they be allowed to carry a gun?When in an active shooter situation engaging the shooter is dangerous to ones self at the chance to save others yet this is acceptable.Hard decisions.
    Thanks guys, who would of thought you guys could calm me down.I can see both sides of the coin now.As usual I thank GOD I was not put in that situation.

Last edited:

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I live for my son, if I choose to die for him then so be it. If the FD had retreated then they have no reason to go in after me. It's my choice to go in, it's God's will if I come out.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    I am a Firefighter. I do go in to burning buildings for a living.

Our industry standard:

Risk a lot to save saveable lives, risk a little to save saveable property, risk nothing for lives and property already lost.

That's a professional thought process. It's not driven by emotion. When I "run" into a burning building, I'm relying on (in my case) 30 years of experience, hundreds of hours of training, a couple of dozen highly-trained men and women backing me up, and several million dollars worth of the finest equipment the lowest bidders can provide.

While I fully understand what would drive a man to want to run in and try to save his baby (my baby graduated from high school last night), I'll side with the police officer on this one. I'm wearing ~$10,000 worth of protective equipment, including respiratory protection, when I go in; Dad was probably wearing a t-shirt. It's really not the same.

The video I watched showed a gutted house. With just this brief look at the house, I think I and my crew would have gone in and fought this fire inside the house. There certainly could be additional information not shown in the video that would change my course of action. Bear in mind: I'm highly trained, very well equipped, and backed up by a couple dozen folks. I make my decisions with those factors in mind.

It's ugly, but I think the cop was put in a terrible position and did the best he could with what he had to work with. That cop probably save the dad's life.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I live for my son, if I choose to die for him then so be it. If the FD had retreated then they have no reason to go in after me. It's my choice to go in, it's God's will if I come out.

While I understand your emotion, and agree with it, it is not your choice. Perhaps it was "God's will" to have the officer stop the father from killing himself. huuummmm...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    While I understand your emotion, and agree with it, it is not your choice. Perhaps it was "God's will" to have the officer stop the father from killing himself. huuummmm...

Why is it not my choice to risk my life to save my child's?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom