Guns International

Sapience. Any animals you think could be evolving to basic human like sapience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    We often confuse sentience with sapience. Most animals, mammals atleast, are sentient but, are any animals besides humans sapient?

Any closing in on that evolutionarily speaking? Elephants? Certain whales or apes?

It's an interesting thought experiment.

Would it make a difference to you, hunting wise, if they were? If certain animals were
    Shown to learn to the extent to plan for a future and desire things beyond basic reproduction or survival drives? I think it could be argued some animals might be on the cusp of that evolutionary jump to human like conciousness/sapience. Emphasis on human like for this discussion so as to be clear what were talking about.

Generic Defination from Google.....
    Sentience means the ability to feel things, the ability to perceive things. ... The word sentience is often misused to mean a creature that thinks. Sapience means the ability to think, the capacity for intelligence, the ability to acquire wisdom.

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I watched an episode of meateater where some south American tribesman killed and ate a monkey. The host admitted he was sick to his stomach thinking about the fact that monkeys were so intelligent, and close to humans as far as development. He ate it , afraid to offend the men.

It really struck me because I had never thought about that scenario.

I love dogs. They provide a great friendship..... But when I was in Korea I did partake.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Idk, “make the jump” in evolutionary terms is a pretty slow process. I don’t think there are any other species that will do so in the next million years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I don't think I'd say most mammals are sentient. Many are, especially larger ones like great apes and elephants.

Dolphins seem to have great potential for remembering, understanding, and planning. I don't think we have good ways of testing that conclusively though. Elephants show signs of memory and nostalgia. When a family member dies, they'll often visit the death site regularly, look at the remains for a while, and sometimes touch them in a way that could be anthropomorphized as fondness. Great apes like bonobos and sometimes gorillas seem to show the cognitive abilities of two to five year old human children in many ways.

As for getting closer to that, I think we're domesticating dogs into it. Cats to a lesser extent, though they're more conditioned to tolerate us than domesticated. Pigs seem close too.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Idk, “make the jump” in evolutionary terms is a pretty slow process. I don’t think there are any other species that will do so in the next million years or so.

Humans probably did it in well under a hundred thousand years. There's evidence supporting theories that it happened in the space of two or three thousand years (though the originator readily acknowledges that the evidence is thin, it's hard to prove, and it could easily support other conclusions).

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Crows are freaky intelligent and appear to be able to pass information amongst each other, including passing knowledge down to subsequent generations. In experiments this information even included which individual humans were to be avoided and which ones showed kindness - so young crows that had never encountered the humans in question seemed to know which ones might give them food, and which would chase them away.

They've also shown an ability to create and use tools.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    when-u-come-back-from-ya-lunch-break-and-they-30242246.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Humans probably did it in well under a hundred thousand years. There's evidence supporting theories that it happened in the space of two or three thousand years (though the originator readily acknowledges that the evidence is thin, it's hard to prove, and it could easily support other conclusions).

Yeah, it’s possible. I think the line is kind of a blurry transition so depending on where the starting line is I can’t really argue with that. There’s probably sort of an exponential increase in change once the ball starts rolling.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    So y'all think that all lifeforms including humans have "evolved" into existence? That your long lost relatives were swinging from the trees by their tails, or some other much lower lifeform such as pond scum?
    No, not evolved into EXISTENCE. But I do believe species can evolve.

I don't buy into the whole earth is only 3000 years old timeline. We have very limited perspective as mortal humans with an 80yr life span. 1 million years is something completely different to an eternal god.

I do not believe we came from monkies.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No, not evolved into EXISTENCE. But I do believe species can evolve.

I don't buy into the whole earth is only 3000 years old timeline. We have very limited perspective as mortal humans with an 80yr life span. 1 million years is something completely different to an eternal god.

I do not believe we came from monkies.

And not to be picky but…

Top Bottom