• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A while back someone mentioned that the signs at the San Antonio International Airport had changed, we were there earlier today so I thought I'd take some quick pics with my cell phone to show that the signs have indeed been changed to 30.06 ones...

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

So it no longer states that concealed carry is not allowed in the restricted parts of the terminal (under 46.03), but now in all places inside the building. Of course it's not enforceable being it's city property; but the signs are there...

Cheers! M2
    Texas SOT

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    How so? it reads exactly as per the DPS web site...

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."
    I only assume the Spanish is correct as well.

I'm still debating whether to point out the fact that it is non-enforceable to airport management. I did find the following POC info on the SAT web site:

GENERAL AIRPORT INFORMATION
    (210) 207-3433

Airport Address:
    San Antonio International Airport
    9800 Airport Blvd.
    San Antonio, TX 78216

CUSTOMER SERVICE
    Russell Weinman: Customer Experience Manager
    (210) 207-3820
    Russell.Weinman@sanantonio.gov

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Per the TxDPS Website pertaining to 30.06:

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

1. includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    2. appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    3. is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

I wonder if the fact that it's white letters on a clear surface (as opposed to contrasting colors) adds anything to the unenforceability?

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    My brother tells me, "you might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride." You'll have your weapon taken, acquire a set of cuffs, have help getting in the back of a car, pay your lawyer, and waste a lot of time. Even if wrong, the sign will be enforced based on my experience.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Which is why it is better to be proactive and inform them it is not legal. Maybe someone will have an epiphany and have it removed...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    My brother tells me, "you might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride." You'll have your weapon taken, acquire a set of cuffs, have help getting in the back of a car, pay your lawyer, and waste a lot of time. Even if wrong, the sign will be enforced based on my experience.

I would be pretty surprised if the cops who worked their didn't know it was legal to CHL there.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    By all means, you cannot compare TC2 to the average cop on the street. He is a knowledgeable lover for firearms. Your average police officer is not. Don't forget, while our favorite topic is weapons, there are 800,000,000 laws out there. Cops aren't going to know them all in detail. While firearms is probably higher on their list of priorities to know, I doubt they will know the CHL statute well enough to catch the weapons, vice handguns or that the letters might now be contrasting enough.

And to be honest, with a sign that close, I'd say you were pushing your luck to assume its unenforceable. Sure, the handgun with a circle through it will probably not get you anything more than a cursory hassle by a police officer if they were to find you carrying. But this sign is damn near correct. I wouldn't mess with it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    there are several on this board that know better.

What would be the best way for a CHL holder to handle a situation like this? If someone with a valid CHL went to the airport to pick up a traveler and his handgun got noticed by an Officer who misunderstands the law, what should the CHL carrier say?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom