• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I keep on hearing from 590 klbj that the saxet gun show is this weekend, but when I go to the saxet site, it says next show in august. So is there a show or not?
    Target Sports

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    hmmmm, daughter has her birthday this Saturday, wonder if she would like to have her birthday party at a gun show?

I'm such a good dad.....

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Okay, the Saxet site gives the date of the next show in Austin for August.

The other website ( Austin Gun Show | 2011 Austin TX Saxet Trade Shows ) says there is one this weekend, and one in June. However, at the bottom it says this:
    "Please Confirm All Gun Shows
    Shows are liable to chagne dates, times or possibly cancel without notice to the Gun Show Trader.
    Make sure to check with the Gun Show Coordinator for accurate dates, times and information"

So, perhaps they have an older schedule or something.
    I'd contact Saxet to find out for sure. No sense letting a gun show go to waste if one is here.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    As lame as some people think the Austin SAXET show and venue is...truth is, i'd be a shame if the SAXET stopped visiting Austin. What's a big town without a proper gun show? Sure, the San Antonio shows rock but it's a heck of a drive for us, especially considering us northern Austin-ites. It's a 30 min drive south for me to cross the Austin city limits to the south from my location.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Absolutely. I'd really hate to lose Saxet. As lame as it is compared to the San Antonio Gun Show, it's still usually a decent show and it's much easier to justify two or three hours on a Saturday than burning most of the day driving to SA.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I agree guys, I also hate to see a gun show end especially in a liberal town such as Austin. We went up to the first show in the Travis Expo Center and while it was smaller than the extravaganzas we get down here in SA it was still a nice show!

Considering the only other choices were those horrible Texas Gun Shows events (worth avoiding) or driving down to San Antonio (bigger events but requiring time and gas money to attend, but you do get to meet all those wonderful TGT folks in the Alamo City! ), it would be a shame if it ended.

But I gotta ask, and be honest, has attendance been strong enough to justify it? I've heard rumors that it's been sagging, and considering the logistics of a show, once promoters and vendors don't make enough money off a show or God forbid, start losing it; it's a slippery slope! This is why we always attend the local shows when we can, not only are they fun but we have to make an effort to support the local gun community and businesses less we risk losing it!

I would try contacting SAXET (you can email them from that link, but I don't know how responsive they usual are) but to be honest if their website says the next show isn't until August, then I am pretty sure that's the case.
    And of course y'all are always welcome down here to the San Antonio shows, it's always great to meet more people from this wonderful forum!

Cheers! M2

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I don't make it to every show, but I do get to most of them since they moved to the Expo Center. I haven't really noticed a drop in attendance, but of course I'm not there the entire time. Two or three shows ago, maybe the one right before or right after Christmas, seemed particularly crowded. One of the larger tables actually shut down mid-day because the wait for background checks was so long they wouldn't finish by the time the show closed.

That may have been the "really good" show. One recent show seemed to have a lot more vendors than usual, and not just jerky & jewelry. The last show we had was somewhat of a let down compared to that, so I don't know. It seems somewhat inconsistent in terms of how many and which vendors show up. I have no idea how this business works but I assume with so many shows going on around the state, some vendors just can't make all of them and have to choose one or the other on certain weekends.

I enjoy going because i get to handle a lot of different weapons without having to depend on a salesman for access to the products. I've bought three or four guns at Saxet over the years but for the most part, it's just fun for me to be there. I read complaints all the time about prices at gun shows, and while I can kinda see that, I know that the Austin Saxet has at least two regular vendors that are Internet competitive on most of their stock, and they have a decent selection available. Ammo prices generally don't beat Academy and nobody will budge even a smidgeon on ammo that I've found, so I do see the complaint there. I think there's a certain expectation that prices at the show should at least match, if not beat, a place like Academy and when it doesn't, people have a hard time justifying the entrance & parking fee. On the other hand, obviously the ammo dealers do well enough that they don't have to deal, so I assume they have no problem with the show.

I sure hope your rumors turn out not to be true. I don't want to lose Saxet.

W5LF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    I haven't been to a gun show in Austin or San Antonio, but have in Houston. Do they have good attendance? I am more often interested in parts and accessories (most of the time) than individual weapons.

Happiness is a warm puppy, and a warm Glock

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As lame as some people think the Austin SAXET show and venue is...truth is, i'd be a shame if the SAXET stopped visiting Austin. What's a big town without a proper gun show? Sure, the San Antonio shows rock but it's a heck of a drive for us, especially considering us northern Austin-ites. It's a 30 min drive south for me to cross the Austin city limits to the south from my location.

Just take Texas 130 tollway down to Buda - nice country drive with no traffic agggrevation.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I haven't been to a gun show in Austin or San Antonio, but have in Houston. Do they have good attendance? I am more often interested in parts and accessories (most of the time) than individual weapons.

Happiness is a warm puppy, and a warm Glock

The SA Saxet and the SA Premier shows are ok in terms of vendor attendance. The Austin Saxet is really all we got and it is smaller.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Put a dad gum gun show in the cedar park center.. Its common sense!

Hey heat miser are you still Mr. green Christmas? Mr. 101? Whatever I touch, starts to melt in my clutch?

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I have no particular problem with the Expo Center or whatever it's called now but yeah, the new Cedar Park Center would be a great venue for a gun show.

Top Bottom