• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jrygrn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Far West Texas
    Actually I would've taken PayPal. I've sold many things (not just guns) to those oil and gas guys. The very first one told me he was offshore so his dad would meet me to get the item, etc. Called from an international number. I was pretty rude in my initial reply. The guy replied and said, "You need to stop being so paranoid," and explained the situation. It turned out to be completely legit and I felt like an idiot and an asshole.

Recently, I bought a pistol from a guy that was local, but also in oil and gas. He had all these excuses about being out of town, and emailed me from 3 different accounts. It smelled of scam all over, but he turned out to be legit as well.

As long as you can meet them FTF, then I don't really have an issue...

This guys reply matched word for word a scam that was advertised on a motorcycle forum, One of the guys on the forum sold his bike to the scamer and as soon as the bike was removed by a thrird party hauler the scammer told paypal it was not as described and got his money back and kept the bike.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Well it's his own fault for letting them keep the bike then. With PayPal, they work with both sides to settle a dispute. Both parties are allowed to make their argument, provide documentation and photographs, etc. If PayPal refunded the buyer, then it would've been on the condition that the bike gets returned to the seller. Smells like anti-PayPal BS to me. Either that, or the "victim" changed the story around to not make himself look like a complete idiot.

When I accept PayPal, it's only ever through eBay. Otherwise, I will still take a PayPal GIFT (can't be disputed) and meet them FTF. Some people don't have the cash, but can use PayPal to basically charge it to their linked credit card. Not the smartest thing in the world, but people have been known to do dumber.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I ran across a very similar scammer selling a DW Valor. Same story but out of Cali. I offered to pay after my FFL received it but nooooo, he claimed he got burned that way. He had three different guns listed at the same time. I reported it to TGT and they did nothing and claimed he was a verified gold seller. What a croc.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I ran across a very similar scammer selling a DW Valor. Same story but out of Cali. I offered to pay after my FFL received it but nooooo, he claimed he got burned that way. He had three different guns listed at the same time. I reported it to TGT and they did nothing and claimed he was a verified gold seller. What a croc.

lol i saw that listing a few times, didn't even bother because i was sure it was a scam...

Arctic Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    This post just saved me a ton of money. Thought I'd let you boys know I just delt with a guy on an Alaska Armslist forum about an Aug A3. Had the same emaial, spooky familiar (almost exactly) post, and the same address. Just thought I'd give you a heads up he's at work on other forums. Here is what he said after I showed interest.

Thanks so much Justin,
    No i cannot send and receive pictures... I can email you pictures on here if you confirm we got a deal...kindly mail out a copy of your FFL along side with USPS Money order via Express mail delivery to mailing address:

NAME: JAMES B. COLEMAN
    ADDRESS: 2484 BILL DAVIS ROAD
    CITY: MANNING
    STATE: SOUTH CAROLINA
    ZIP CODE: 29102

Thereafter,kindly Send me the tracking number and a scanned copy of the receipt and once mail is confirmed,i will ship that same day for a next day delivery to your dealer with insurance via UPS,i will ship with all its extras and will provide you with the proof of shipment such as Scanned copy of receipt and tracking also.Do we have a deal??..Keep me Posted

Thanks
    James

I responded:

Awesome, I'm excited to get my hands on this. Can you send the rifle to a local dealer for inspection prior to purchase? They can hold it as your property and if it looks as good as the pictures I'll send the money order out that day. When you get the payment you can release the gun to me.

I'll let you know what he replies with... if he does at all.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    This guy really gets around! Thanks for the contribution.

My last email with them, I asked if he can send me the gun first so I can inspect it. He told me he'd need a 50% deposit first. I never replied after that, and neither has he.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I googled the address and nothing came up. I wonder how they receive the checks?

He asked for a scanned copy of the mailing receipt and tracking number; IIRC, you can request in-transit destination redirection if you can prove you were the original sender. All he'd need to do is send them the scanned copies of everything (it's a button on their website I think) and then he can redirect payment to a temporary/anonymous P.O. Box where an intermediary receives it (for a small cut) or out of the country to a bum address he DOES have access to.

By that time, it's as good as gone, and even if they catch the rat son of a *****, you'll have hell trying to prove it was HIM in particular that received the money and conducted the scam, or getting your money back because it'll be out of U.S. jurisdiction.

Top Bottom