• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasFlash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    I also bought one; carried it for about a year IWB while working outside every day. Lighter than my 1911's and skinnier than my glocks, and functioned flawlessly with good accuracy while holding 11 rounds of 9mm. Good tool and made in America, so there is that...
    Venture Surplus ad

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I like the old S&W autos, but for a defensive tool, they are inferior to modern choices. They have no factory support, and any after market stuff is going to be whatever's still left.

They are quite complex, even when compared to other contemporary wonder 9's

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks guys! My son is a CPA in Houston and has WAY more $$$ than I do. I think, hope, that I've convinced him to get one of the S/W 6906s that AIM Surplus has for sale. The gun shop in Mineola, if you're referring to the Ponderosa, has been closed for several years. The locals couldn't tolerate the owner's "personality," and he later died of cancer. East TX ammo, also in Mineola, has changed owners and relocated.

Tell him to go buy a Sig. The new P365 is $500 and easy to conceal. And if he has large hands he can get the 12 rd mag.

I have 229 that I like a lot.

Cheap ain't the way to go for a protection gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    I have an entire thread on my SCCY experience. Bought it cheap brand new at a gun show. I had problems right out of the gate. Sent it back and it was a little better but still an unreliable POS. Did some work on the feed ramp and got it to reliably function. Traded it in on a real pistol and vowed to never touch a SCCY again.

In close to the same price range, a Taurus G2C or Ruger EC9s would be a much better option.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Sounds like a good choice. It's a good pistol made by a good company and sold at a bargain price.

wileycoyote

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Haskell County in West Texas
    my cpx-2 has a great trigger. very reliable. much prefer it to the keltec. only peeve is the grip is unnecessarily large in circumference. yes, i'd prefer a sig P365 (who's magazine holds the same number of rds) but its three times the price.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I like the old S&W autos, but for a defensive tool, they are inferior to modern choices. They have no factory support, and any after market stuff is going to be whatever's still left.

They are quite complex, even when compared to other contemporary wonder 9's
    They are less complex than your average 1911? So do you make the same claim about them? Calling 3rd Gen Smiths inferior is a sign of an inferior knowledge base.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I have an entire thread on my SCCY experience. Bought it cheap brand new at a gun show. I had problems right out of the gate. Sent it back and it was a little better but still an unreliable POS. Did some work on the feed ramp and got it to reliably function. Traded it in on a real pistol and vowed to never touch a SCCY again.

In close to the same price range, a Taurus G2C or Ruger EC9s would be a much better option.

IS the Taurus any better?

You can get a Walther PPS M2 for SCCY prices these days.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They are less complex than your average 1911? So do you make the same claim about them? Calling 3rd Gen Smiths inferior is a sign of an inferior knowledge base.

The 1911 can be completely dissasembled without a tool, assuming you use a few tricks.

The 3rd gen smiths are not simple guns, its far from a modern S&W pistol or a Glock, or the myriad of other modern choices.

And yes, the 1911's time has likewise passed, mainly due to capacity and an unnecessary safety. The difficulty in getting a good example also doesn't help, and neither does the difficulty some examples have in reliable feeding of modern defensive ammo. Carry it if you want, more power to you, but your personal preference doesn't mean your choice is perfect

S&w discontinued the 3rd gen smiths for a reason, and if Sig, CZ, and Beretta are still making their metal DA/SA's, you can call that a clue as to why you can't get them new from the factory.

This doesn't mean they are bad guns, just that time has passed them by for more efficient options.

Same reason why the M1 Garand is no longer the best combat rifle that currently exists. There are simply better options.

Last edited:

K9117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Wood County, TX
    Let me preface this by saying that I really like Glocks. I own quite a few of them and they were my work guns (law enforcement) for well over 20 years. BUT.... call me crazy, somehow a plastic framed pistol just doesn't seem to have a soul like a metal framed one does. I know, it's luney bin time! Maybe the 3rd gen. S/W's aren't their best but I sure wish I had a few hundred $$$ to pick up one of AIM's 6906s!!! I could skimp by with one of those lowly metal framed pistols. Each to his own though.
    Again, thanks for all of yall's help/advice! It's extremely nice to be in a polite/congenial group for a change. You're actually saving me a little time as they're several forums that I don't even waste my time with any longer. G. Powell

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Let me preface this by saying that I really like Glocks. I own quite a few of them and they were my work guns (law enforcement) for well over 20 years. BUT.... call me crazy, somehow a plastic framed pistol just doesn't seem to have a soul like a metal framed one does. I know, it's luney bin time! Maybe the 3rd gen. S/W's aren't their best but I sure wish I had a few hundred $$$ to pick up one of AIM's 6906s!!! I could skimp by with one of those lowly metal framed pistols. Each to his own though.
    Again, thanks for all of yall's help/advice! It's extremely nice to be in a polite/congenial group for a change. You're actually saving me a little time as they're several forums that I don't even waste my time with any longer. G. Powell
    https://aimsurplus.com/smith-wesson-model-6906-9mm-pistol/

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I had one. The trigger has a long pull, but it always went bang. Not a good range gun, but it's a good carry gun.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Yes, y'all stop buying 1911's especially Colts ....it's time has passed.......

Top Bottom