School shooting suspect made 'disturbing' social media posts

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Ranger550, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    Without watching it I would say about the same as the other side calling for Hillery's head on a platter.

2. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
  3. Ranger550

Ranger550 Member

In California, if you are "in a bad way" and seek professional help, if the therapist, or whomever decides that you are a danger to yourself (and they always add "others", to add sway) apparently HIPPA doesnt count in this communist state.

If you are incarcarated for 72 hours, the CA DOJ, firearms division will pay you a visit to collect your firearms, in the dark of night. This happened to someone I know, who was not informed that they had to sell their firearms, since they were now on a "prohibibted persons" list.

Thankfully my friend knew their constitutional rights, and since the DOJ had no warrant, were sent on thier way. Fact is that the TRULY mentally ill people in society are _less_ inclined to violence, including using firearms, then the general public is. I'd be more concerned about a drunk/stoned person with a firearm.

4. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    This wouldn’t be the first or last time I say this, but that law is idiotic. Teachers with little to no actual training or interview time are required to report kids that they have reason to believe are a danger or in danger. Idiotic to limit professionals with training and experience to from being able to report threats. Nothing about idiot politicians surprises me though.

5. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    That CLEO is a piece of work. He knew his people failed to enter and stop the shooter. He knew his people screwed up investigating this kid; yet he goes on TV spouting his crap. I hope he looses his job, but I’m not going to hold his voters to that high a standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva likes this.
  6. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    It’s not idiotic becuase it goes against the counseling relationship to require us to report threats. I can say even TODAY I had a kid in session say she would like to strangle her teacher. Now if I report that, she is done (therapy-wise) stick a fork in her, she’s not trusting me anymore (we are two sessions in presently).
    I honestly don’t think she would do it.

But what if I am wrong? If this happens daily (and it it pretty much does) that I get a low level threat, don’t you think someday, someone’s gonna actually do it? And is that on me, for not making a call to someone (who?) to report every damn day and 99% of the time NEEDLESSLY ruining a vast majority of the therapy relationships I try to develop?

I don’t deserve the pressure of deciding what threats are credible and weighing that against breaking confidentiality. That’s not my job, to predict violence, or to report every violent fantasy.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018