• ...and so much more!
  • Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I'm really glad it's settled.

But it isn't. This is only for this election subject to other decisions after the election.

U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos called the law an "unconstitutional burden on the right to vote" and the equivalent of a poll tax in finding that the Republican-led Texas Legislature purposely discriminated against minority voters in Texas.

Ramos' issued her ruling on October 9. Five days later, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans put her decision on hold and cited a 2006 Supreme Court opinion that warned judges not to change the rules too close to Election Day.

The same justification was used in Wisconsin to prevent the implementation of the WI voter ID law which more closely follows the SCOTUS approved voter ID law in Indiana.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    But it's gonna keep this election results from being delayed till who knows when.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    "600,000 registered Texas voters" will be unable to vote because they have no photo ID ?

anyone believe this ?

anyone believe that Ruthie really believes this ?

Sometimes I think I'm living in a weird unreal dream.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The correct phrase would be "600,000 illegal voters", the poor have TX ID and social or no benefits. Not to mention that a social is more trouble to get than an ID.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    "600,000 registered Texas voters" will be unable to vote because they have no photo ID ?

anyone believe this ?

Ginsberg should have never been approved, she is another American Hater, Constitution hater and a Taco short on the No. 3 at Taco Cabana.

Voting is NOT A RIGHT it is a PRIVILEGE! So is driving a car, try it without a DL. I cannot think of any public privilege that is free and you need not prove who you are.

Since its a privilege, then by what right you do you have to vote and vote as often as you want, since its a privilege only accorded US Citizens then you need to prove you are a US citizen to obtain and exercise your privilege. How can I give you the privilege if you cannot prove you are a citizen.

IF we have 600,000 folks just in Texas that have ZERO form of ID, then that begs the question...HOW THE HELL do you know about the 600,000? You are telling me you can count folks that have no: DL, SS #, NOTHING to identify them at all, not even a birth certificate.

IF Texas has 600k then the US has about 8 MILLION folks without any form of ID.

You show that you are entitled to the privilege in order to vote, show your ID. The ID is NOT to vote, but to exercise your privilege...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If voting is not a right then freedom is a sham.

How can you be free if you have no say in your government? Non citizens don't have a right to vote because it is not their government. A citizen of this country with no say in their government is a subject, and the US should not be a nation of subjects. We've already gone to war to rid ourselves of that.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Life requires an ID.
    Try it without one.

A TX driver license should be all I need to carry any weapon I choose, vote, and drive.

Anyone who can't identify themselves should do none of the above.
    It's too damned important this close to a border.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Equally important to me is each person only votes once so my vote will actually count.
    Also no dead people voting and no one voting "for their sick uncle"

If voting is not a right then freedom is a sham.

How can you be free if you have no say in your government?
    If voting is not a right then democracy is a sham. If we truly had freedom then you wouldn't feel the need to vote for "your" guy to prevent the "other" guy from getting in and using the force of government against you. Saying you have a right to vote assumes you have a right to government; you don't.

Life requires an ID.
    Try it without one.
    Lots of people actually live full lives without IDs. They tend to be pretty backwoods folks, tho. I doubt any are on the internet :laughing:

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

anyone believe this ?

Maybe 600,000 Undocumented Democrats which means the libiturds are pissed because the Democrats lose all of those undocumented voters.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Good read:

But do we have a fundamental affirmative individual right to vote in our Constitution? The answer may surprise you - "No."
    The 15th, 19th and 26th Amendments outlaw discrimination in voting on the basis of race, sex and age respectively, but they do not guarantee eligible American citizens an affirmative individual or citizenship right to vote.

Our voting system - 13,000 "separate and unequal" election jurisdictions - is based on the legal foundation of states' rights and local control. Each of us has a "state right" to vote based on that state's laws. For example, some states keep ex-felons from voting for life, others allow ex-felons to vote once they've paid their debt to society. Two states - Vermont and Maine - allow prisoners to vote from jail.

Our nation's highest court gives us a glimpse into the constitutional priorities of this republic. On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment guaranteed a fundamental “individual right to a gun.”

On December 12, 2000, in Bush v. Gore the U.S. Supreme Court said that “the individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote." As a result, states’ rights reigned over individual rights because there is no citizenship right to vote in the Constitution. A federal right to vote in the Constitution would have required all the votes to be counted because an individual right to vote would have taken precedence over Florida's law.

Of the 119 nations that select their public officials using some form of democratic election, 108 have the right to vote in their constitution, but the United States is one of the other 11 nations - including Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Iran, Jordan, Libya, Pakistan and Singapore - that lacks that essential provision.

There are many who would say, "So what? It works. We have the greatest and longest existing democracy in the history of the world!" So we have to ask ourselves, does our states' rights and separate and unequal voting system have any negative consequences or dangerous implications for our democracy? A California Technical Institute/Massachusetts Institute of Technology Voting Technology Project in 2001 estimated that 4-to-6 million votes in the 2000 election were lost and not counted due to administrative problems, problems that could have been solved in a unified national voting system.

The U.S. Senate Rules Committee on March 11, 2009, released a comprehensive study by MIT (a collaborative effort of 30 research teams that involved 34 different research organizations) of the 2008 election that revealed astounding problems with the United States voter registration system that resulted in an estimated 7 million eligible and/or registered voters nationally not being allowed to vote for a variety of reasons – voter ID issues; computer errors (no match/no vote comparisons); an absentee ballot not sent; a voter registration form not turned in by a third party; wrongful purges; uncounted provisional ballots; too few polling places; non-compliance with the mandates of the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) by Departments of Motor Vehicles and other designated government agencies; long lines at polling places; the allocation of voting machines; ex-felon issues; dirty tricks of voter suppression (e.g., robo calls giving misdirected or false information to voters); lack of voter education and information; inadequate election resources; name changes (because of marriage or divorce) not recorded with voter registrars; and more.

The 2009 MIT study also found that an additional 9 million potential voters who tried to register were prevented from doing so for a variety of technical reasons – e.g., missed deadlines; changes in residency; or other non-essential issues.

And according to a U.S. Senate survey released by Senator Charles E. Schumer (NY-D) on May 13, 2009, in the 2008 election more than one-fourth of the ballots requested by U.S. military personnel deployed overseas – and other eligible voters living abroad – went either uncollected or uncounted.
    While we tout our democracy, we have among the lowest voter participation rates in the world.

All of this proves unequivocally that our voting system absolutely carries negative consequences for our democracy. We need uniform national standards in the administration of elections by state and local election officials. House Joint Resolution 28 - which I've introduced in the House - would solve that problem by granting Congress the authority to establish a uniform voting system and review its effectiveness every four years.

Until every American has an affirmative individual right to vote protected by our nation's most important document, our democracy and the Constitution itself remain incomplete - and I believe America deserves more.

Does the U.S. Constitution Guarantee Americans an Affirmative Individual Right to Vote? | ACS

Top Bottom