• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I didn't read any of that because the error was made at the very beginning.

Rights don't come from the constitution, the state, or laws.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That depended a on your belief system.

Typically they would be either God given rights, or Natural Rights.

Either term covers it.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I didn't read any of that because the error was made at the very beginning.

Rights don't come from the constitution, the state, or laws.

Rights are inherent. The federal constitution lists what rights must be respected and which may be infringed, but it does not give any rights.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    It's spelled out pretty blatantly in the Declaration of Independence:

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    So lets get this straight, ALL rights are God given unless you don't believe in God then you make them up yourself I am guessing. Then it appears that what ever I want to do, its my right to do so and all I have to say is God gave me the right or the devil made me do it.

Are there more than the Rights listed in the Bill of Rights?

So then the govt and states cannot grant rights they can ONLY grant privileges????

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So lets get this straight, ALL rights are God given unless you don't believe in God then you make them up yourself I am guessing. Then it appears that what ever I want to do, its my right to do so and all I have to say is God gave me the right or the devil made me do it.

Are there more than the Rights listed in the Bill of Rights?

So then the govt and states cannot grant rights they can ONLY grant privileges????

Check amendment IX.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yes. They are all God given or Natural.

Yes. The government serves no legitimate purpose other than to preserve rights.

Yes. There are many other rights. That's why the 9th amendment was up in place.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Yes. They are all God given or Natural.

Yes. The government serves no legitimate purpose other than to preserve rights.

Yes. There are many other rights. That's why the 9th amendment was up in place.
    Thanks Hip, knew someone would come up with some answer.

The questions remain the same and its an age old argument over rights vs privileges. Voting is not a right! Should it be? For those who read what I posted in #20 you may well come to the conclusion it should be, a point which I can agree with, but for now its not.

I do not believe for one second that the libs have any desire other than to capture illegal votes. With somewhere between 10 and 20 million illegals in this country the lib have figured they can stack the vote and guarantee a dim in the wh evermore. Hence the major effort to turn Texas Blue, if they can do it and they have done it in 2 states already (Va/Co) they will have a lock on the WH. THey have proven that a dictatorship in America is more than possible, Obama has been a VERY successful POTUS. No matter the outcome History will treat Obama as one of the if not the most influential POTUS in our history based upon his results sans judgement. Again I look to Hitler as a prime example. Great series on the 10 years leading up to WWII and how Hitler rose to power. I saw the other day it going to be on TV again. MANY parallels!

Last year before Texas passed the latest ID law, you could vote with nothing but your "Sam's Club" card (no not kidding). At that time any ID was ok, now they have tightened it up to govt ID:

Texas voters must show a photo ID to vote in elections in Texas, unless you are exempt (see “Exemptions” below).
    If you do not have any of the following acceptable forms of ID, beginning June 26, 2013, you may apply for an Election Identification Certificate (EIC) at no charge. However, if you already have any of the following forms of ID, you are not eligible for an EIC:

• Texas driver license—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • Texas personal identification card—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • Texas concealed handgun license—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • U.S. passport book or card—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • U.S. Military identification with photo—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • U.S. Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with photo
    Texans may also obtain an EIC at:

[h=4]Exemptions[/h]If you are voting by mail, you do not have to submit a photo ID.
    If you have a documented disability, you may apply at your county voter registrarfor a permanent exemption from the photo ID requirement. If approved, you will not need a photo ID to vote.
    For more information on the types of exemptions available, please visit your county voter registrar or the Texas Secretary of State.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not gonna waste time in those debate because its been had many times before.

I only say that things do not "become rights". Who would make it a right? Can't be the gov, the gov doesn't have the power or ability to create rights.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    The questions remain the same and its an age old argument over rights vs privileges. Voting is not a right!

*14th Amendment, Section 2:

"But when the right to vote..."

14th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*15th Amendment, Section 1:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

15th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*19th Amendment:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

19th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*24th Amendment, Section 1:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

24th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*26th Amendment, Section 1:

"The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age."

26th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    *14th Amendment, Section 2:

"But when the right to vote..."

14th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*15th Amendment, Section 1:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

15th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*19th Amendment:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

19th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*24th Amendment, Section 1:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

24th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

*26th Amendment, Section 1:

"The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age."

26th Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute
    I guess you are going to tell me you are the smartest guy in the room or the World, other than Obama of course.

So smart that ONLY YOU knew this information, as if it has not been addressed long before you were even a gleam in your daddys eye. So the answer is still NO, it does not give us the right to vote. This has been argued at a few higher levels that this forum I think, maybe...

Wrong, ohh I think so and I personally am appalled that our SC does not see it that way, to me its apparent and implied. SO why has the courts seen otherwise???? Got me beat. Which may beg the question about the makeup of the USSC. Educated, scholars, smart (?) men and women, YES? BUT did our forefathers not design and write the founding documents to be read and understood by the common man? If yes, then were is the common man on the Court? Maybe we need a few less lawyers and a few more folks from everyday life???? YOU THINK? LOL I do!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Well, I'm willing to both live and die for my beliefs - especially if my RIGHT to vote is taken.

So for those that disagree you better make up your minds and buckle your seat belts if push ever comes to shove.

Top Bottom