Join TexasGunTalk

Sears is closing more stores — here's the list so far

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by Southpaw, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw The High Holy Mufchetet TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
  2. Moonpie

Moonpie U.S. Rifle M1 caliber .30 Lifetime Member

Sears - textbook story on how not to run retail operation.
    Sad really. They could've been Amazon before Amazon.
    Poor management wrecks another.

3. Southpaw

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

Funny, I heard someone mention that very same thing a month or so ago.

4. subseashooter

subseashooter Use Your Imagination..... Lifetime Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Sears WAS Amazon before there was an Amazon.

I remember waiting impatiently for the Christmas catalog and going with my mother to the store to used the phone on their counter to place a catalog order.

If they'd have embraced the internet - and technology in general - sooner, the only thing you think when you heard the word "Amazon" now would be a rain forest with a really big river.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

no2gates, diesel1959, oldag and 4 others like this.
  5. Moonpie

Moonpie U.S. Rifle M1 caliber .30 Lifetime Member

Was reading an article a while back about Sears and their poor management decisions.
    Sears management always demanded to own the actual store. They refused to lease.
    As many shopping malls went down the drain they couldn't get rid of the stores. Nobody would buy a huge building in a dying mall.

Many have stated if Sears had embraced the Internet they would be doing just fine. I agree.
    Problem is Sears management didn't want to be in the retail business. They wanted to be in the financial business. They mucked it up.

seeker_two and toddnjoyce like this.
  6. Southpaw

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    And now I read the store at Rolling Oaks is up for sale, but for lease back to Sears.

7. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I don’t think offering financial services killed them.

They pioneered offering in-house credit for catalog purchases, which boosted sales for decades.

It also led Sears to create the Discover Financial (Discover Card) subsidiary. And they also created Allstate Insurance, which can also be seen as a financial vehicle.

These financial business units were eventually (and wisely) spun-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  8. subseashooter

subseashooter Use Your Imagination..... Lifetime Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    IMHO, from the reading I've done on it, the current CEO has done an excellent job of bleeding the corporation dry, extracting every bit of blood that he can to put into his real estate holdings company.

Not sure what his overarching plan is, but he's going to be one to watch. He's not stupid, as much as the media portrays him to be....He's got a plan....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Banned

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I hated how when you bought something big from Sears. You had to go around the outside of the store to have a warehouse guy wheel it out. The process took a lot of time. Sears was the only store that did it. You'd feel like you were buying it twice. Once on the inside of the store and a second time, picking it up. My parents bought everything from lawn mowers to metal kitchen cabinets. I've hunted a ranch that had a Sears and Robuck prefab house. Delivered by horse and buggy.

Oh and lying about where some craftsman wrenches were made. While stamping them USA is a sign of the times.

I'm gonna miss Sears.

10. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    With the Kenmore brand being up for sale now, I’m guessing the strategy is to liquidate the brands, sell off the real estate, exit the big box arena, limit the retail side to only the Sears Hometown franchise and the service to the Sears Home Services franchises.

pronstar and subseashooter like this.