Seen the prices at the Bullet Trap? Jeez louise....

Discussion in 'Dallas & Fort Worth' started by gringogigante, Dec 4, 2009.

1. gringogigante

gringogigante Active Member TGT Supporter

Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    What the hell is going on over there? I'm a firearms and CHL instructor and am meeting a student after he gets off work to go shoot.

We were going to go shoot to celebrate him finally getting his CHL in the mail. The Bullet Trap happened to be closer to where he works, so we looked online at the prices..... almost $20 to rent a damn lane?! WTF?!

It's well known that their guns and ammo prices are through the roof, but you'd think someone over there would have the common sense to know that having affordable range fees is what draws the customer in so they can look around at the inventory....holy crap...what a rip off.

Just an FYI for those of you out there who happen to remember and care that we're in the worst recession in 35 years....

The owner of the Trap obviously haven't read the news in a while.

Garland range is close by and charges a one time $20 for a membership (compared to the Bullet Trap's $110 membership), then they only charge $10 for a range fee everytime after that.

What do you get for the Bullet Trap's $110 membership fee? You get to shoot in a poorly ventilated indoor range and a couple of bucks off their over-priced guns, ammo, and classes.

What a rip off....

Stear clear, brothers. :crazy-1:

2. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I have been there once and can't say I was impressed. Even less impressed now!

3. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    The Sharpshooter down here is:
    (from their website)

$15 per hour, per shooter (1 hour minimum)
    (Additional Shooter on the same lane $7.50.)

$13 per hour, for active Military and Law Officers
    (Additional Shooter on the same lane $6.50.)

$10 per hour for Seniors
    $6 per hour for Youth (16 years and younger)
    Membership Information

Individual $100 ...... Family $135
    (Half Off Range Fees.)

Individual Gold $350 ...... Family Gold $400
    (Eliminates Range Fees Plus 10% Off Purchaces.)
    Rentals

Guns - $10.00
    Ear Protection - $1.00
    Eye Protection - $1.00
    Targets - $1.00
    Bore site - $10.00

http://www.thesharpshooter.com/range.php

This is the only indoor range here, the guys and gals there are pretty nice when I've been in. I got the gold membership so my wife would go shoot more while getting ready for CHL class. Now that she's been outdoors I doubt we'll go back indoors unless weather is an issue or want to rent something they have.

4. mightyp

mightyp New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    ft worth
    never ever buy ammo at a gun range.

5. randomoutburst

randomoutburst Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I beg to differ. Only buy if it's the cheapest around - and yes, that has happened once in a blue moon. Reason is, the range we go to (Target Master) prices their ammo when they receive it. If there's a price increase, it only applies to NEW shipments they receive. So they could theoretically be stocking two boxes of the same ammo, one priced at $15 and one at $22. Of course, he gets rid of the old stock before the new which often means the cheaper ammo before the more expensive. The owner will, on occasion, have ammo cheaper than other stores because of this method of pricing. I gotta tell you - I like it and take advantage of it when I can. :)

Back on topic, Bullet Trap has outrageous prices for ammo and range fees, not to mention the membership - yikes! On the other hand, they had the cheapest price for the Model 60 that I bought a while back. I actually had to purchase my wheel gun from a place in Sunnyvale (the one BT had was defective, missing a bushing in the cylinder), but had planned on buying at the BT. So I guess it depends on what you need and a good deal on timing/luck when it comes to actual firearms.

6. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have nothing relevant to add. I just like the OPs name lol

7. randomoutburst

randomoutburst Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    ^ +1 :)

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    DFW Gun Range is seventeen bucks a shooter and they are always packed.

I don't know what dollar amount "almost $20" is, but I don't see that as unreasonable.

I would pay the extra seven bucks on a day like today over Garland Range to avoid the sharp cold and winds. ;)

9. randomoutburst

randomoutburst Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I feel like almost $20 for a range fee is a little expensive, but probably only because I'm used to paying less than $20 for two shooters on one lane up in Sherman.
    We went to Bullet Trap and did two shooters on one lane for $35 the first and only time we went last year.

10. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've not been to BT, but I'd be happy to pay a few bucks more for a good range experience. IE not crowded, a lot of shooting options, reasonable RO's and not too many knuckle head types.