Self Defense Ammo

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dannysdad, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dannysdad

dannysdad New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    I have to get a dumb question out of the way...I carry two Glocks - the 30 and the 26. Since I'm cheap, I carry them with Winchester target ammo. Am I being stupid by not carrying with more expensive hollow points? Can any of you recommend some particular ammo in 9mm and .45 ACP?

Thank you for your help.

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Target ammo and self defense ammo are just not the same and obviously are meant for very different purposes.

This is one of those topics that could go on for years but it has already gone on for years and there is a lot of good information on ammo selection and balistics all over the place.

Simple answer, if you carry for self defense, use ammo that's meant for self defense. For inexpensive JHP's, Winchester get good reviews for a much cheaper ammo. But for example, I carry Remington Golden Sabre's (.45 230gr) and just paid $14.69 a box/25 at Welcome to Ammunition To Go!. That's a steal for those things.

You'll want to try a few and make sure that your gun(s) like whatever you want to carry. Different bullet designs and overall profile is sometimes just different enough that some guns just don't like it.

3. Acesn8's

Acesn8's Well-Known

Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I have been searching for an online store that stocks a variety of .41 Rem Mag. Thank you for posting that link:banger:

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I suggest also, ammoman.com ... got a SMOKING deal on some .357 Sig from them.

5. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    How much is your life worth? Cheap target ammo for the range is fine, but when it comes to personal protection, I wouldn't skimp on the quality of ammo. I carry JHPs in either Speer Gold Dot or Corbon both in .45ACP.

6. Floyd_Droid

Floyd_Droid Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Like Chevydeerhunter said: "How much is your life worth?" Yes, it is VERY foolish to be cheap on defense ammo.

I have Federal HST in my Berettas (9mm and 40 S&W) and Spear Gold Dot in my backup FEG .380.

Plinking at the range I shoot Blazer 9mm 124gr ; Blazer 180gr 40 S&W; Independence 90gr .380

Never Winchester white box

7. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    My wife and I both carry Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P in our 9mms.

8. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    if you're on a budget, the guys over at m.a.h. supplies are pretty affordable and quick at shipping. i placed an order this morning for some winchester ranger 115gr +p+, got 5 boxes for a little over 100 shipped. placed the order this morning and i already got a ship notification. sweet jeebus i needa order more.

9. CJGarza

CJGarza Member

Sep 6, 2008
    San Antonio
    In my modest and very humble opinion, if you paid enough for 2 good guns, you should not be cheap for the 2 other things that make the "rig" complete: Holsters and ammo. Both of these are necessary as a "rig" that can save your life.

Both can be found for good prices if you shop around. Check out other forums (and the net in general) and local gunshops. I have been surprised at the things I find on "clearance" at local gunstores.

I keep a small ammount of 147grain JHP ammo at home (300 rounds). Mostly Federal and Speer (Gold-Dots), which is the stuff I found at a good price online. If I needed to defend myself, I would use these rounds and not the WWB or CCI Blaser I have for shooting paper. Sure I might get lucky with the FMJ stuff, but I consider my life (and loved ones) to be worth spending more than $20 for a vlaue pack of WWB at Wal-Mart. Isn't yours? :happy0001:

This is submitted, again as my humble and personal opinion.

10. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I carry Speer Gold Dots in 9mm and .45 ACP. 124 grain +P in my Glock 17 and 230grain in my 1911. I carry Hornady 60 grain HP in my .32 acp for when all I can do is stick something in my pocket.

Most modern HP bullets will work well, even the Winchester white box self defense rounds expand alright. Really though, I would buy a box of Gold Dots and try a few in your gun. They are Glocks so they should feed just fine, but it never hurts to check.