Patriot Mobile

Selling an AR with an unserialized lower? Any problems?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Newly made firearms you can sell up to 5 a year IF it is not "A BUISNESS".
    if this were Twitter, 1/2 the folks posting would be banned for misinformation.

There are no fed/state restrictions on selling 80%-100%. There is no magic number.

The issue is whether you are in the business or not. If yes, you need an FFL, if not you do not. And then even with an FFL you can still sell 80%-100% with no markings.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If I had one that was built to spec I would keep it. Most peeps wanting to sell them think they have added value & command a premium price.

I remember seeing some very early ones that were real Bubba builds that didn’t work. The drill press, Dremel suitcase of beer ones might very well be considered primitive folk art.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Having fled the Peoples Republik of Marylandistan - a subsidiary of Leftwingnut INC. that is what was generally trigger point for getting a "knock on the door".
    The law is debatable and is a poor protection. Grab their attention and it never goes well. Knowing where they start looking is a good way to stay away from trouble.
    Not LEGAL advice in any way, shape, or form. Just what I have figured out after Working in Wash. D. C. for over 50 years.

festering

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    You can't sell it.

Decided to sell? Serialize it first.

Serial numbers became a requirement on firearms in 1968 with the passing of the Gun Control Act. Any homemade AR-15 or firearm that is sold or transferred will be subject to the same regulations and requirements that govern the sale and purchase of a manufactured firearm from a dealer. You’ll need to conduct a background check, execute an FFL transfer, and your home-built AR-15 will need a serial number.
    Double_facepalm.jpg

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    If that were to happen, AR15 lowers would not be the only thing on the list being subject to be serialized.

Of course.

I think they really want to stop all the faux Glock lowers being scattered about. Illegally, but they have to catch them first. I order to do that, they want to make it mandatory to serialized all 80% lowers... a rewrite of existing law that they will do thru policy or a letter if they think they can get away with it.

I'm sure the exemption for vintage firearms will stand.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I remember seeing some very early ones that were real Bubba builds that didn’t work. The drill press, Dremel suitcase of beer ones might very well be considered primitive folk art.

Mine certainly was a mess. Drill press with sloppy x-y Harbor Freight vise to hold the jig. The first one, AR lower, from Polymer80 the pin holes were too big, having used the bits that came with the jig. I bought anti-walk pins and used Loctite on the heads... big mistake, it turns out that the small print says glues are generally not compatible with polymers. The whole thing melted over a period of a few days.

The second one from Polymer80 turned out OK. I used my own drill bits a size or two smaller for the pin holes. I still have it as a faux SBR for HD.

The third I made for my daughter just for her fun. She wanted a purple AR, so OK whatever. It went well until I tried to install the LPK and the trigger bottomed out because I didn't mill the pocket enough. Like a dumbass I was too lazy to put it back in the jig and set up the vise... I tried to do it by hand.... the mill bit chattered all over and made a mess of the lower... pretty embarassing, but the daughter says it gives it "personality". Oh for sure.

Coop's Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2018
    Lorena
    I built 5 and my son built one- when he was 11- from a jig and tool set from 80% Arms. I still have all of them; three in 5.56 (two are my son's), one in 300 BO, one in 350 Legend and one in .458 Socom. All function as well as my wife's S&W MP-15.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    sell whatever u want / it’s still a free state

i don’t understand the FUD spreading on here “oooh u will get in trouble” “you cant sell without a serial number.”

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I too advise it would be better to do a little research online than to announce my plans. No point in selling when it's not worth enough to advertise. Keep it for a rainy day. Thank us in 10 years.

Coop's Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2018
    Lorena
    Be sure to get a BOS ..........

Why a BOS? If a firearm is legally sold and the buyer answers "are you legally allowed to own a firearm?", there's no repercussions to the seller. Correct?

I have passed on every ad that requires a BOS. I have bought from several sellers who ask to see an LTC- a guy at the Fort Worth show said "got an LTC? Just flash me." So I showed him my manboob. He was like "awww geez..." but he threw in an extra magazine.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Why a BOS? If a firearm is legally sold and the buyer answers "are you legally allowed to own a firearm?", there's no repercussions to the seller. Correct?

I have passed on every ad that requires a BOS. I have bought from several sellers who ask to see an LTC- a guy at the Fort Worth show said "got an LTC? Just flash me." So I showed him my manboob. He was like "awww geez..." but he threw in an extra magazine.
    I'm pretty sure he was kidding...

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I was under the impression that if you sell a firearm you assembled yourself the BATF considers that manufacturing.
    I turned down a request from a friend to build him an AR with his parts for that very reason.
    That said what happens between friends should stay there - until you post about it online. ;)

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    You should definitely bet your freedom on the comments you received in an online gun forum on the interwebs…. You deserve whatever happens, good or horribly, painfully, insufferably wrong…

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013

The correct way to sell a gun is get handed a wad of cash and turn the gun over the the person who handed you the cash.

There is no need to ask anything.

Top Bottom