• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I flew the OV-1 Mohawk, 2 tours in VN (2nd tour over NVA & Laos only) - to my knowledge the NVA only had "radar" with their .37/.57mm AA and, of course, the SAMS

we had no ECM gear aboard during the 1st tour in VN (but doubt they had radar in-country in 1964/'65)

flew the E.G./Czech borders, inside the ADIZ in 1966/'67 and yes, we were painted continuously during those missions (most of the time I turned-off the ECM gear - very distracting)

U.S. MP's radar ? - pffffft
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    North side of 36. All I ever found was busted concrete slabs.

One night I took some dirt road back there. It was a patrol car. I drove a while. I had a fellow MP with me.

I came across a huge inflatable hanger. No roads to it. The area wasn't shown on PMO maps. It also was lighted up. Glowed like a deem chem light. That's how I spotted it. Looked like a big glowing hanger made from a birthday bouncy thing. The road we was on ended. The hanger was still about 500 yards. There was no other roads we knew about that went out there. We were the cops, so you'd think we be privy. Nope.

We got the hell out of there. We didn't report shit. Didn't tell a soul. CIA type things, are for which to not $#@! around with.

Wanna get freaked out??? Visit the German grave yard. It's out there too. It's shown on maps. There's a listed road that go's right to it. When the government took the land from the local Germans. The graveyard wasn't moved. It's still private property. Surrounded 360 by federal land.

I double dog dare you to walk into that graveyard at night. ~Wearing an Army uniform. They will make it known you're not welcomed.

Think this is bullshit? Go out there and see.
    Wheres this? Hood? Ill go check it out when i get back home. Also what about that internment camp on the way to hood... i forget what town it was but we had a soldier whose hometown it was in. It wasnt far from bastrop county.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    I think there is just something very cool about how narrow the Cobra is.

The rear cockpit is 36 inches wide at it's widest point.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_k5J37uDDpZ1Iix-W-L56B2kapjqfDptZC_n6li7ukR6n1PgzhA.jpg

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    I flew the OV-1 Mohawk, 2 tours in VN (2nd tour over NVA & Laos only) - to my knowledge the NVA only had "radar" with their .37/.57mm AA and, of course, the SAMS

we had no ECM gear aboard during the 1st tour in VN (but doubt they had radar in-country in 1964/'65)

flew the E.G./Czech borders, inside the ADIZ in 1966/'67 and yes, we were painted continuously during those missions (most of the time I turned-off the ECM gear - very distracting)

U.S. MP's radar ? - pffffft

I wanted to fly the Mohawk. Applied for fixed wing training/cert twice. But it just wasn't happening.

Mohawk08.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Texas had quite a few POW camps due to cheap land, difficulty in escape, etc.

Camp Barkeley - Abilene

Camp Bowie - Brownwood

Camp Brady - McCulloch County

Camp Bullis - San Antonio

Camp Fannin - Tyler

Camp Hearne - Hearne

Camp Hereford - Deaf Smith County

Camp Hood now Fort Hood

Camp Howze - Gainesville

Camp Hulen - Palacios

Camp Huntsville - Walker County

Camp McLean - Gray County

Camp Maxey - Paris

Camp Mexia - Mexia

Camp Swift - Bastrop

Camp Wallace - Galveston County

Camp Wharton - Wharton

Camp White Rock - Dallas

Camp Wolters - Mineral Wells

Naval Air Station Corpus Christi

Fort Bliss - El Paso

Fort Crockett - Galveston

Fort D. A. Russell - Marfa

Fort Sam Houston - San Antonio

McCloskey General Hospital - Temple

You can find more here:POW Camps in Texas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Wheres this? Hood? Ill go check it out when i get back home. Also what about that internment camp on the way to hood... i forget what town it was but we had a soldier whose hometown it was in. It wasnt far from bastrop county.

Yes Sir it is. I was deployed to Hood right after 9/11. Garrison support MP. 3rd Corp. Attached to the 89th.

I patrolled at night. 14 hours a night.

Anyway, the grave yard was shown as a round dot of private land on a patrol map of FtHood. As y'all know, MPs only have power on federal property. The graveyard was off limits. Private property.

It's surrounded by a cast iron fence. About waist high. Most grave stones are civil war age. In 2002 someone had been buried there. So it was still in use. The road to it is dirt. It's not overgrown. Or wasn't at the time.

Me and my sargant decided to check out the graves. He was a native Texan too. We walked about 10 yards into the area.

Both of us, at the same time had a cold, "Get the **** out" feeling. Creepy ass feeling like your being watch. By something really Damn close to you. The feeling stopped when we stepped out the place. Still creeped out, but the somethings in my face and I can't see it' feeling was gone.

Edit: the deal is, the federal government stole the land. Pushed the people off. They didn't want to leave. They're still pissed off about. The only thing they got to keep was the graveyard.

As for the Japanese camp. Nobody knows where it is out there. I've looked my ass off. It's gone. All that stuff is long buried. Along with the mustard gas.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Old Japanese camp? Do you mean the metal chicken shacks National Guard soldiers had to stay in during AT? I had to spend a week in those things in 2003 when our flight to Kuwait was delayed due to weather. A good friend of mine has cattle on Ft Hood. His ranch borders North Fort.

No, not those. The other side of Hwy 36. Btw, those shacks are gone. Now it's stacked barracks and motor yards. The old officers club is a company headquarters or some mess.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Damn - my Temple VA hospital was a POW hospital at one point. How interesting. All these times I've gone to it and never knew the trees were planted by NAZI prisoners.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Damn - my Temple VA hospital was a POW hospital at one point. How interesting. All these times I've gone to it and never knew the trees were planted by NAZI prisoners.

Even better. There's ground vents in the ground behind the hospital. Or was, they're doing construction. They go to something. At one time they had a walk through decon shower. Metal building outside the old emergency room. I got the info from a contract worker doing something to it. I asked why they had one. I was told in case a rail car derails. Few weeks later it's gone.

Recently the government surrounded a building down by the yard equipment shack with heavy duty protection. Barricade poles all the way around it. Heavy duty doors. Cameras everywhere. When I asked about that building. I was told it has to do with power to the hospital. Yet there's no protection for the various generators laying about. Nor any type of protection for the solar panel grid out back. Physical security was my speciality as an MP. This building had some high level fortitude. It's important to somebody.

Now the entire hospital has been surrounded by a 12' fense. Locking gates. No way on or off the property unless it's an open gate.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I haven't seen the vents, but I know there is a basement level. I saw the metal building, but didn't realize it was a walk through decon. I would LOVE to take part in some of the security related things over there. I've always took high interest in that kinda stuff. I wonder whatll happen if I go nosing around. A lot of times I get off with just being run off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    There's a domicile out back. That houses about 400 vets. You also have a retirement home out back over by the trailers. There's vets walking everywhere. Especially since lake Travis is out back. Walk wherever you want. Just remember you don't have civil rights and it's not Texas you'll be standing in. Besides, no body cares. Federal employees are in their own world waiting on quittin' time.

Most the cops are retired MPs. They're really cool. They only get 30 days of training to do the job. I've been searched 5 times. I refused to not carry a pocket knife. They'd put me on the wall. Pull the knife out. Tell me get off the property. The last time I was searched. I stayed on the cell phone. While the one familiar VA cop taught a new boot officer how to search vets. Lol, a hotty blond cop at that. She found my knife. Shows the other cop. I get kicked out again. Bla bla bla. Can't be denied entry and I like my knife. Go look for handguns in valet parking. I pose no threat.

Sounds like I'm making this up. This can't be true. They don't do that.

Lol, believe what you want. I was the one there.

Top Bottom