• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I will go along with Todd. Robert1024 can tell you, I shoot 17hmr and 22lr at 200 yards with ease. 17hmr even further. They make excellent platforms to learn fundamentals on. Gives you some fairly cheap practice and a lot of fun while you CAREFULLY look over balliatics charts and try out some calibers to see what you want to wind up with.
    My offer of a range day is still open. I can get you on my range, out to 200 yards for free. I have 2-17HMRs, a couple 22LRs and a .224 Valkyrie you can try out. You have my number.
    Start with the cheap stuff while you research what you want. Once you decide and move up to centerfire remember this. You will also have to reload to get max accuracy out of it. No matter how good the rifle is. So match up the caliber you want that won't beat you to death, is allowed on almost any range and you can get supplies to reload.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have to go along with @toddnjoyce and @jrbfishn, Rim-fires can duplicate long range shooting at much shorter distances than center-fire cartridges. And many of the same variables that affect center-fires at long distances, also affect rimfires. Rim-fires are way cheaper to shoot as well, and good for learning the basics of long range shooting.

Some years ago, I put together a Savage Model 93R17 for fun longer range shooting on a budget. Including the cost of the rifle, and the scope, the Boyd's stock, and the trigger sear, I'm only into for about $800. I have shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards when I did my part and have done 1" groups at 300 yards on occasion.

Plus, a rim-fire can be shot all day long and not beat you up with recoil. Only downside is that you are limited to factory ammo, and just have to find what the rifle likes.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Looking like I'm gonna give up trucking due to the season of stitches.
    Gonna find something else.
    But to the point..I've had over a 7mm-08 and a 308... want to get to long range shooting
    Truth be told I'm thinking about it hard.but don't have a clue .

A little help is greatly appreciated
    Use what you have for now. Free floated handguard, upgraded trigger, and decent glass will get you good trigger time with your AR.

Training your mind to shoot long range is more important than your equipment at this point.

You can throw all the money in the world at long range shooting but if you can't shoot none of it matters.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    SEEEEEEEEE EVEN THE WHITE FOLKS LIKE ME
    Use what you have for now. Free floated handguard, upgraded trigger, and decent glass will get you good trigger time with your AR.

Training your mind to shoot long range is more important than your equipment at this point.

You can throw all the money in the world at long range shooting but if you can't shoot none of it matters.
    I'm free floated now.. I'm ordering a 2stage trigger
    Got a decent glass I can see out to 600 .
    What ya think good starter pack

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I will go along with Todd. Robert1024 can tell you, I shoot 17hmr and 22lr at 200 yards with ease. 17hmr even further. They make excellent platforms to learn fundamentals on. Gives you some fairly cheap practice and a lot of fun while you CAREFULLY look over balliatics charts and try out some calibers to see what you want to wind up with.
    My offer of a range day is still open. I can get you on my range, out to 200 yards for free. I have 2-17HMRs, a couple 22LRs and a .224 Valkyrie you can try out. You have my number.
    Start with the cheap stuff while you research what you want. Once you decide and move up to centerfire remember this. You will also have to reload to get max accuracy out of it. No matter how good the rifle is. So match up the caliber you want that won't beat you to death, is allowed on almost any range and you can get supplies to reload.

I'm pretty good out to 200 . The dpms seems it wants to keyhole at 200 when it gets hot.. hut I'm in 9-10 ring..
    As far as recoil I love that shit. And the boom...
    My thoughts are the further out dosen't it come down to single shots? And more precision

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    When you say long range.. What ranges are you wanting to shoot at. Most people when they say long range they think - 200 - 300 yards. To me,long range is 900 - 1200 yards. The other thing is you are probably going to shoot glass so almost more important than caliber is the scope. You cant shoot well with some cheap scope. Most real long range shooting needs good glass at a minimum of 24X and upwards of 36X. (that is for out to 1200 yards and beyond). Shooting out to 300 or 400 yards you can make a 12 to 18X scope work well. My only real long range shooting is a Sharps 45-70 or 45-110 out to 2000 yards with Soule sights.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    When you say long range.. What ranges are you wanting to shoot at. Most people when they say long range they think - 200 - 300 yards. To me,long range is 900 - 1200 yards. The other thing is you are probably going to shoot glass so almost more important than caliber is the scope. You cant shoot well with some cheap scope. Most real long range shooting needs good glass at a minimum of 24X and upwards of 36X. (that is for out to 1200 yards and beyond). Shooting out to 300 or 400 yards you can make a 12 to 18X scope work well. My only real long range shooting is a Sharps 45-70 or 45-110 out to 2000 yards with Soule sights.
    I want out there like you at least 1100yds

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Show off

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I think the clearness of the glass is more important than the magnificationof your glass. Out here in West TX you have to worry about the “ mirage “ effect with the heat. My rifles are zeroed for 300 yards and I’ve never had a problem making a one shot kill with any of my rifles. I have not punched paper at long distances, but a clear 3x9 has done me well. My longest kill was at 700 yards. My latest at 368 yards.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Good glass with a good reticle is vital. You can easily spend more on that than everything else combined.
    Back to the keyhole effect. When I was working up a load for my .223 Wylde, one poweder, I don't remember which one, would barely hit paper at 100 yards. Some missed an 8x11 target completely. Some keyholed. Same bullet with other powders was fine.
    The most accurate was 55gr Dogtown HPs. Less than MOA out to 300 yards. Past there, they sucked big time. Be lucky to hit a man size target past 350 yards. It all depends on your gun, the bullet and powder combination.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Something that really affects accuracy in long range shooting is the transition point between the bullet being supersonic and dropping into subsonic level. That transition area plays heck with a bullet. In modern cartridges the goal is to know the ranges you plan on shooting at and either have a load that keeps the bullet supersonic all the way out there, or to have it go subsonic about 50 to 75 % of the way, that allows the bullet to stabilize again at the new lower velocity.

One reason the .338 Lapua Magnum is so good at range is it does not drop to below supersonic speed (with 250 grain HPbullet launched at 2975 MV) till about 1700 yards. Pretty nice smooth trip out there.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Something that really affects accuracy in long range shooting is the transition point between the bullet being supersonic and dropping into subsonic level. That transition area plays heck with a bullet. In modern cartridges the goal is to know the ranges you plan on shooting at and either have a load that keeps the bullet supersonic all the way out there, or to have it go subsonic about 50 to 75 % of the way, that allows the bullet to stabilize again at the new lower velocity.

One reason the .338 Lapua Magnum is so good at range is it does not drop to below supersonic speed (with 250 grain HPbullet launched at 2975 MV) till about 1700 yards. Pretty nice smooth trip out there.
    See I'm just getting into this a whole lot to learn.
    In not going to get into reloading (so I say) so learning factory loads is paramount

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    See I'm just getting into this a whole lot to learn.
    In not going to get into reloading (so I say) so learning factory loads is paramount

There’s a lot of data out there. The frustrating point is trying to figure out if the repeatability problem is you, the conditions, or the ammo. CMP’s current .308 offering may be the most economical @$1.25/round in a match grade load.

If it works well in your rifle.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have to go along with @toddnjoyce and @jrbfishn, Rim-fires can duplicate long range shooting at much shorter distances than center-fire cartridges. And many of the same variables that affect center-fires at long distances, also affect rimfires. Rim-fires are way cheaper to shoot as well, and good for learning the basics of long range shooting.

Some years ago, I put together a Savage Model 93R17 for fun longer range shooting on a budget. Including the cost of the rifle, and the scope, the Boyd's stock, and the trigger sear, I'm only into for about $800. I have shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards when I did my part and have done 1" groups at 300 yards on occasion.

Plus, a rim-fire can be shot all day long and not beat you up with recoil. Only downside is that you are limited to factory ammo, and just have to find what the rifle likes.
    Or .17WSM. It'll get you a bit further.

Top Bottom