• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Currently the holster design is being blamed as a contributing factor to this self-inflicted GSW. Personally, I think it's a faulty design and have approached my superiors requesting Serpa holsters be unapproved for duty use at my agency and not be allowed on our agency range.

https://abc13.com/hpd-officer-accidentally-shot-himself-during-training/5731671/
    Acevedo says the bullet went through the officer's thigh and out through his ankle.

That is one hell of an injury......just imagine holster height through thigh down to ankle. I'm going to surmise that he might not be an active duty officer anymore. Wonder what it did to his knee?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    TEX G, was training with two different pistols and two different types of holsters......when he switched to train from one to the other, his own mistakes caused his accident, imho.....and is what he admitted to.......

That being said, I don't own a Serpa holster or carry a pistol w/o a thumb safety.......

Both seem to tend to be blamed for ND's......a lot.....at least my 1911 won't ND because it was jammed to begin with...........

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    w0VQcN.gif

Attachments

• w0VQcN.gif
      w0VQcN.gif
      348.3 KB · Views: 263

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    With as many complaints/criticisms of the Serpa holster over the years, one would think Blackhawk! would do some R&D to either modify the design or come up with a better retention release system................

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    With as many complaints/criticisms of the Serpa holster over the years, one would think Blackhawk! would do some R&D to either modify the design or come up with a better retention release system................

admitting it is a problem is a liability issue. I am surprised it has not been quietly discontinued. Not sure how it still sells.

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Irrelevant.

A properly handled Glock will not discharge when being drawn from a Sherpa. Nor will any other gun. At the end of the day, these UDs are caused by improper handling.
    Which is DIRECTLY related to improper gear. I.e. the is no proper way to draw from a Serpa, it by its nature is not safe.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Which is DIRECTLY related to improper gear. I.e. the is no proper way to draw from a Serpa, it by its nature is not safe.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The proper way is to press release with index finger, then continue to keep fingers off trigger until ready to shoot. If you do this you will never have a UD.

Glad I could assist you.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Now get on youtube and search, you will find hundreds of ND's using other holsters. Not saying there is anything wrong with the SERPA design, but any holster is capable of causing a ND if not properly handled. It's like the gun antis claiming it's the firearm's fault for killing people, not the person behind it.

Top Bottom